Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April (the B side)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drexler_McStyles

Drexler_McStyles Active Member

I hear that, walked into my local shop about 20 minutes after it opened. There were like 300 people in line, the bins had been raped. I turned around and walked home. There was only one album I was mildly interested in anyway..

EasterEverywhere and J_D__ like this.
  2. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Still in line here at Origami vinyl in echo park. I'm about 25th but the line easily goes over 100 people. Store opens in 5 minutes....

3. thebunk

thebunk Senior Member

Should mention the only other thing I was slightly disappointed in was neither of my stores received any freebies. I look forward to the SubPop sampler every year and was not able to get one unfortunately.

If anyone gets one, does not want it and would be willing to help me out, I would gladly take it off your hands and pay for shipping to Canada.

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I wouldn't call the 1991 mix awful, and the 2001 session sounds gorgeous on my table. To my ears, Stipe's vocals sound particularly good on both sessions. Different strokes.

Johan1880 and theholygoof like this.
  5. Scroller

Scroller Hair Metal, Smooth Jazz, New Age...it's all good

Did anyone go to Amoeba Hollywood? I sat this one out this year but I'm curious to hear about what it was like at Amoeba. They have a great system, but I am thinking the line must have been insane!

6. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Sat on my hands again this year, as the only release I would of bought, Foals - Live at the Albert Hall, was a US only release. Bloody brilliant.

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Missed the Gram Parsons but got Steve Earle Townes and Everly Bros. Roots.

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Huge line at mojo vinyl but cash register is slow as no bar code system yet but they are working on it.

9. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Yes - got the REM box, and a whole bunch more!!! Scotti's got a very good fill on all RSD items, so items I thought I would be shut out of being nearly 30th in line, didn't come to pass. And because Scotti's does it orderly and only lets a few people in at a time, there isn't a mass rush for product. They give you time to leisurely browse.

Johan1880 and LeeS like this.
  10. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

Just played it. Very quiet but mine did have a warp that I am using my Vinyl Flat on. But in terms of pressing quality it was completely quiet. There wasn't any no fill or even one pop or click. Between tracks was completely quiet. And maybe it sounded digital, but it still sounded very good. Completely happy with that purchase.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  11. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

My store has been open 3 hours. Just got in line and 50 ppl in front of me. Madison Wi.

12. Paully

Paully De gustibus non est disputandum

I didn't make it to Lexington, but there is a small store here in Huntington which had a lot more material than I thought they would. It was a really good outing and from the sales the guy was making I would have to imagine this little store is a great example of just what RSD can accomplish. It looked like a complete success to me and even though he didn't have a lot of what I wanted I ended up buying a bunch of other stuff and my friends who went to Lexington got the rest of what I really wanted (no REM though!). All in all, this looked like a really great RSD to me.

JAG likes this.
  13. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

It kills me that I wasn't in line this year, but there was nothing that just jumped out at me.

14. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

Cactus, Houston - queuing round the block and the line is increasing. I'm too old for this! Going home.

15. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

They had a food truck at the Camelback store last year. It was a pain there because the parking is already a bit tight.

16. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

No lines and a HUGE inventory right now at Tunes in Northfield NJ, offshore of Atlantic City. They were a little shocked nobody was there at 9am but me. I counted 15 copies of Springsteen, a dozen Dead, and so on..

This Pogues/Strummer album makes me so happy that I'm a music nut. It's just brilliant.

Also picked up the Page/Crowes at the Greek, the Animals 10' (bc the other two are sublime), and the Doors' Weird Scenes..

Definitely picking up Hendrix at Monterey, MGMT and a few others when the pocket recovers.

Happy hunting all

17. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

So here is what I got today:

Jaco Pastorius - both CD and LP - Modern American
    Drive-By Truckers 10" - Dragon Pants
    Charles Lloyd 10" - Live at Slug's
    Nas - Illmatic XX vinyl (not a RSD item but wanted the vinyl anyway)
    REM - Unplugged
    Sun Ra - Outer Spaceways
    Pixies - Indy Cindy
    Gregory Issacs - Mr Know it All - Blood and Fire 12" RSD release
    Flaming Lips - 7 Skies H3
    Garcia - Jerry Garcia
    Joy Division - An Ideal For Living
    Aerosmith - Rocks
    Zombies - Odessey and Oracle
    Velvet Underground - Loaded
    Husker Du - Candy Apple Grey
    Spoon - Loveways
    Between the Buried and Me - Colors Live
    Jimi Hendrix - Live at Monterey
    Notorious BIG - Life After Death
    Allman Brothers - Selections From Beacon
    Jorma - Quah
    Dead - Live at Hampton
    Springsteen - American Beauty
    Dave Matthews - Live Trax Vol 4

Scotti's in Summit, NJ, got 3 copies of the Cake Box Set, there was 1 left I could have picked up, but I'm not really a fan.
    He also had 3 of the REM left when I got in the store, I bought one as well as another person, so as I left the store there was 1 left (with a line of about 300 people still waiting to get in).
    He had a bunch of LCD Soundsystem boxes - thought about that one, but I have the Deluxe Blu-ray with the full show, so I passed on the vinyl.
    He got 12 copies of the Dave Matthews, and there were 3 left when I walked in; I bought one and so did the person behind me - so there was 1 left when I left the store.

Really nice selection of product at Scotti's - much better fill on everything than over previous years. The only thing that sold out when I got in was the Ghostbusters glow-in-the-dark vinyl (10 copies all sold quickly), and the Zombies "I Love You" LP, since he only got 2 copies total.

I consider myself lucky that I was able to get everything I wanted not being early in line.

Even though I spent a lot of money, and I held the previous record of a one day sale in Scotti's from last RSD, my record was broken by someone that got in the store before me today that spent over $1,200 on product. About $400 more than my previous one day RSD vinyl sale at Scotti's.

18. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Record Store Day was a success as long as I got my Oasis Supersonic single, so I'm happy. Would've liked the Devo Live and Space Project albums but my store had none of the Devo and only one of the Space Project.

Oasis' first single, Supersonic, for the 20th anniversary of Definitely Maybe. Great song with great b-sides.
    [​IMG]

Tame Impala - Live Versions. Songs were picked on how different they were from the album versions. Did not expect translucent green vinyl!
    [​IMG]

And finally, July's self titled debut (and only) album. Never listened to it, bought it due to discussion on these forums. Awesome vinyl color.
    [​IMG]

Vinyl_Blues and Brudy like this.
  19. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Did you got to a store in the Dallas - Fort Worth area or somewhere closer?

20. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

How much $ for the Soundgarden Singles set?

21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I paid $33.

22. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Are the Built to Spill and Gram Parsons truly, truly one shot deals here or just in numbered /colored formats? Contemplating getting out with the unwashed masses.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    johnnypaddock likes this.
  23. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Networking with my kids at other stores paid off today. Between us we picked up:

Built to Spill -- Ultimate Alternative Waves
    Pogues / Joe Strummer -- Live
    Velvet Underground -- Loaded
    Springsteen -- American Beauty ep
    Drive-By Truckers -- Dragon Pants ep
    Death Cab for Cutie -- Live

Couldn't land the R.E.M. set despite help from folks in four different stores. I'll settle for the CD set in May.

A pretty great day overall. :cool:

Jeff

apple-richard and PennyLanes like this.
  24. subzro

subzro Forum Resident

RSD has become a joke.
    If the store even knows what you are looking for, they either don't have it or employees have stashed them away in advance to re-sell themselves. The one piece I wanted has over 100 copies going for $100+ on ebay before any RSD store would have been open to sell them. They are all gone before they even exist for purchase.

Oh well, enjoying the tunes anyways... Thanks, Zippyshare! Funny that a day designed to draw people to stores has figured out a way to just make it easier to pirate the music and go back to sleep.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.