Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April (the B side)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Prices were up this year at the place I went to, Tunes in Marlton. I got the couple items I wanted--Opeth's Watershed reissue and Mark Mulcahy's Fathering-- (but forgot that I wanted the Ghostbusters glow in the dark single) and grabbed the Cake boxset knowing nothing about it. While in line a guy asked if it was the last one and if I'd sell it to him. It was marked at $150 not including tax.

The store was crowded. I got there 15 minutes before they opened behind close to 75 people but still managed to get what I wanted. They just let everyone in the store at once so it was pretty much a sh*tstorm. Fortunately they had the stuff spread out around the store, but it was hard locating certain items. But yeah, I paid $32 for Opeth and $25 for Mark Mulcahy.

2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

5.40am this morning followed by 8am, apparently the other RSD store in the City had 150 people by 7.30am.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

Today was my first RSD. Arrived at the shop about 10 minutes before opening, maybe 2o other people ahead of me in line. Not bad at all. Picked up Doors Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine (double LP, beautiful orange translucent vinyl; $28).. and MGMT Oracular Spectacular (black vinyl; $25). Great time hanging out with fellow vinyl enthusiasts!

No Static likes this.
  4. mep

mep Forum Resident

Has anybody seen the peanuts record player ? And I´m also still searching for last years Tenacious D - Jazz EP. Sometimes I see it on ebay, but for insane prices...

5. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Pretty good day I'd say. I ended up hitting 2 stores and knew my local one only had 1 copy of the R.E.M., so I got there at 1:30 am. I wasn't the first in line. But I was second the the guy ahead of me wasn't looking for it, so I lucked out. I'd say there was about 40 people in line by 5:00 am (the store opened at 8:00 am):

Autumn Defense/Josh Rouse - Sentimental Lady / Trouble 7"
    Blitzen Trapper - Hold On/"On A Dime Woman 7"
    R.E.M. - Unplugged: The Complete 1991 and 2001 Sessions Rhino 4 x 12"
    The Minus 5 - Scott The Hoople In the Dungeon of Horror Yep Roc 5 X 12"
    Bruce Springsteen - American Beauty Columbia 12"
    Cardinal - Cardinal Fire Records 12"
    Surfer Blood - Pythons Demos Kanine Records 12"
    Drive-By Truckers - The Dragon Pants ATO 10"
    Grant Hart - Every Everything/Something Something MVD Vinyl/DVD
    Tears for Fears - Ready Boys & Girls TAO 10"
    Frightened Rabbit - Live From Criminal Records Atlantic 12
    Fun. - Point and Light Nettwerk Records 10"

Jerod likes this.
  6. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I snagged both MGMT lps last minute, they were mastered from the original analog masters (likely cut from high res) and sound better than the cd master originals - at least OS.

Thurenity and Jerod like this.
  7. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

the only thing I saw was the Fleetwood Mac 45 so I'll just wait and pick it up later....I have an original, and that is still very cool:)

nbakid2000 likes this.
  8. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

Cool. Finishing disc 1 of Doors and listening to MGMT next. I previously only owned MP3s for Kids and Time to Pretend. Love those songs. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album on vinyl.

9. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

Came THIS close to picking up Tears for Fears, but didn't. Probably will regret it. Never heard the 3 tracks on this 10".

10. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

Only went to one store, may go out again later to pick over the bones.

I knew I wouldn't get the Cake box set and didn't see the Bob Wills Tiffany Transcripts.

Got the Rocks and Draw the Line and Yardbirds Little Games.

Like Yogi Berra said: No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded.

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Sunrise Records had them available, people were buying them up quick, I think the price was $149.99 CDN.

12. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Went to Permanent in Greenpoint. Waited outside in line for about an hour to get in but that really wasn't bad as it's beautiful out.

Totally spaced the Oasis 12" but did snag the Otis, the Standells 7", the Everlys' Songs Our Daddy..., and the TAANG! 7" box set, which I didn't even know was on the schedule. I might go back later for the Yardbirds, Green Day, and Oasis.

Meanwhile, there had to be about 150 people in line at Rough Trade at around 11:30. And Academy Brooklyn had a line wrapping around the inside perimeter of the store, so I'm glad I got most of what I wanted at my first stop. All in all, it was a pretty fun experience.

13. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Hey Mike, where did you go today? If you noticed, any luck on the R.E.M. box??

-Buck

14. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I have an original pressing of this album, and it is outstanding. The sound quality absolutely destroys the CD. It's a great album too, I think you'll like a lot of the songs. I didn't even realize this was OOP.

Jerod likes this.
  15. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

My haul:
    Sam Cooke - Ain't That Good News - $22
    Otis Redding - Pain in My Hear - $25
    Donny Hathaway - Live at the Bitter End - $35
    MGMT - Oracle Spectacular - $25
    MGMT - Congratulations - $35
    Spoon - Love Ways - $11
    Drive by Truckers - Drivers Pants EP - $15

The only thing I really wanted that they didn't have was Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. MGMT was on my "iffy" list but I had to get them "Mastered for Original Analog Masters."

The Songs Ohia Sings Box was interesting but out of my range, $77.

I'm going to likely look for the import on the Outkast, Music on Vinyl is doing it and I think it should sound better.

Overall, prices seemed to be up a bit but it wasn't bad. The quality on most seem really nice, nothing gimmicky. Looks like most were concerned with SQ.

edb15 and Jerod like this.
  16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

You talking about the MGMT?

17. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Fun at Rough Trade in Brooklyn.

IMAG2234.jpg

Thurenity likes this.
  18. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I went to Wax n Facts. I think they had at least one R.E.M box IIRC, I remember hearing someone talking about it in line but in the distance. They seemed to have at least 1 of everything but I'm sure they missed some.

I got everything I wanted except the Nick Cave/Warren Ellis. I didn't think it was even limited. I wonder if it made it out there.

19. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

Almost through side 1 (Electric Feel) - Holy cannoli the sound quality is absolutely amazing. Now Kids (love the video with super-hot mom).

johnnypaddock likes this.
  20. johnnypaddock

Yes sir!

21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Newbury Comics has a lot of them.

22. johnnypaddock

I'd love to see how the Sam Cooke sounds... I wanted that one too. Might head out later to see if another shop has them.

I'm with you on Outkast... I'm disappointed that it's only one LP. I'll probably get the MOV anyway though.

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

This is the opposite of my experience.

24. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Does anyone know what the "mystery" side by side is yet? TIA.

25. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I got up this morning and drove 35 miles to RSD at Omega music in Dayton. Sort of disappointing. The staff was nice but you couldn't look at anything because there were way too many people. I am glad they had a good turn out.
    I managed to wiggle thru and grab a copy of the Garcia & CCR 10" both on white vinyl. A bit overpriced but fun stuff.
    My first, and last RSD. Not worth the hassle.
    I will wait and see what Bull Moose has left over Monday and buy online from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.