Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April (the B side)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I didn't see any at either Everyday (Beaverton or Burnside).

farmingdad likes this.
  2. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Playing it now. Sounds good. Also comes with DVD and download card.

farmingdad likes this.
  3. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Weren't many "newbies" in Salem today. In fact I was pleasantly surprised by the diversity of RSD participants today. Seemed all ages and "types" we're fairly represented

4. Blue Star Donuts gave many boxes of goodies to Jackpot to pass out along the line. I had one with crumbled bacon. Yummmmm. :)

5. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I had a mid-morning errand to be at by 9:40 am ... briefly considered trying to squeeze in a RSD run when the Portland stores opened at 9 am, but when I drove by and saw the long lines I realized that wasn't going to happen.

Ended up going after my errand, getting to Everyday Music around 10:50 am, nearly two hours after they opened.

I walked in and was happily surprised to see only one other person at the RSD bins ... so I quickly thumbed through the LPs first, then the 7" singles, and grabbed 5 of the 10 items on my wish list.

I got (edit: added prices I paid):

I also was interested in, but didn't see:
    • R.E.M. Unplugged [but based on the early reviews I saw in this thread, I'm glad I didn't]
    • Zombies Odessey and Oracle
    • Frank Zappa 7"
    • Nirvana 7" [didn't think it was likely to find this one two hours after the stores opened]
    • Husker Du Candy Apple Grey [worried about the mastering on this one, but curious enough to take a chance on it]

When I went to pay for my five items, I walked from the "CD" side of Everyday Music to the "vinyl" side, and it was there that I encountered a long line about 30-40 people waiting to thumb through another bin of RSD items.

I asked the cashier why there was a line for that bin near the vinyl, and no line in the other room, with the CDs. He shrugged and guessed that no one realized there were two bins!

So I decided it wasn't worth waiting probably 20-30 minutes in that line, just to see if they have any of the handful of items left on my wish list.

Then I paid, left the store, and walked down Burnside toward Jackpot Records, until I got close enough to see that - 2 hours after opening - there was still a line out the door, around the corner, and up Burnside (at least 25-30 people, and who knows how many more inside the store).

So I gave up and went to my car and drove home, figuring what I had already scored was "good enough," and considering I only invested about 10 minutes of my time for the entire process inside the store, I feel that waiting in a line for 30 minutes or longer wasn't worth it.

20140419_115546_Android.jpg

6. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

8. Sunrise shouldn't be allowed to participate in RSD. They are a chain store.

jimhb and ChaosOfMemories like this.
  9. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I got my Mastodon so I'm happy. The Iron Tusk->March of the Fire Ants is righteous!

Leviathan and Schoolmaster Bones like this.
  10. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

What prices are you seeing in the UK for the Damon Albarn 7"?

11. Mars needs woman and RSD needs more too.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  12. EasterEverywhere

2013 RSD releases have been popping up in my Hasting's of late.

13. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

As I posted in another thread, this cut sounds phenomenal - doesn't it? Quality pressing and sound all around. Sort of funny to see the Round Records label on this LP, as it was always on Warner Brothers in the past.

14. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I haven't opened my yet. No download either?

15. EasterEverywhere

Can't sound any better than my WB white label promo.

16. Everyday Burnside stagger putting stuff out. They put stuff out at 9am, 10am, 11am until sold out. Everything goes out on the racks at midday.

17. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Yeah, but the Pixies website is sort of unclear as all it really says about the RSD edition is:

On April 19, a week before the official release date and exclusively for Record Store Day - www.recordstoreday.com Pixies will make Indie Cindy available as a special RSD limited edition, two-disc, deluxe gatefold, 180-gram vinyl set, only from independent record stores participating in RSD around the world. When these are gone, they’re gone.

So what is different about the RSD version as opposed to the regular vinyl version coming out in a week or so?

I guess it is merely that if you want it early, you can only get it on RSD at an indie record store?

18. aoxomoxoa

I was curious as to why it was on Round. Strange indeed.
    The pressing sound great!!

19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yup.

20. aoxomoxoa

I have a WLP and it sounds about as good . Maybe a little more bottom end on this new one. The old WB is still the winner!

21. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Very grateful to Nico.
    Just openend it, now playing side 1: Low.
    Absolutely brilliant (sorry!).
    Read earlier today about complaints on sound quality / mix on this forum.
    Not on my copy.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I got up early to hit the stores an hour before opening. Most stores in the city open at 11am but I know one, Soundscapes opens at 10am. But from past experience they usually let people in around 9am for RSD so I got there for 9am. My plan was then to hit up the ones that open at 11am. Worked alright.

First thing I noticed this year was that there were far more people than last year and a sizeable portion of them were young. Second thing I noticed this year was that manners has been all but abandoned! At one point there were three people trying to flip through the crate I started flipping through. Seriously, I started flipping through the crate, another guy stuck his hand in the middle and started flipping, rendering my attempts pointless, and then a girl started flipping from the back (so she could only see the back covers) thus rendering the other guys attempts pointless! It was crazy. But this was at Sonic Boom (Kensington location) that attracts a younger more rabid crowd :). The Soundscapes crowd were a little older and not as crazy and there was some of the same "Has anyone seen this record yet?" shouts for people looking for specific titles and people helping out as in previous years; although it seemed there was less of that this year than last year.

I wasn't on the hunt for many items but I did pick up the Gram Parsons 2lp set as well as the Everly Bros Roots lp. I also wanted 'Songs Our Daddy Taught Us' but after trying three places I gave up.

I did pick up the LCD Sound System 5lp set. Not sure why as it wasn't on my want list! But I sat there looking at it and I thought "If I buy this I will regret it. But if I don't buy it I will also regret it" :laugh:

One last thing to add which I thought was kind of cute. At the last place I was at, June Records, just as I was about to leave, a lady walked in with her kid, must have been about 5 or 6 and I heard her say "Come here, I want to show you how mommy listened to music when she was younger" and she showed him the turntables they have set up.

Eddie

23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I was there this morning at 8:45, fans were already in the door when I arrived, with a line of 20 some still outside, when I arrived.

All that I really wanted was the Eric Carmen single, which I got (x 2) and I ended up also buying the CCR white vinyl 10", since he only wanted $14.99.

I had in my hands at one point, but put back:

Dean Martin - "Dream With Dean" (numbered in the low 600's)
    Randy Newman - S/T (mono LP)

No doubt that Greg @ Record Den always charges a few dollars more than everyone else for these RSD releases and unless I'm 'really" wanting them, I just pass, as I will NOT allow this goofy idea of getting me into his store for limited releases, just so he can make a slew of money and I, as usual, can feel cheated!

24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Ah one more last thing...did anyone in Toronto see the Everly Bros 'Songs Our Daddy Taught Us' release?

Just curious as the three shops I went to didn't have it. They only had the 'Roots' lp.

Eddie

25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'm curious. Has anyone on this list purchased the Nick Cave plastic figure? It's one of those things that makes me ask who purchases it.

Mazzy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.