Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April (the B side)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Yeah it has a 2014 Jerry Garcia Family copyright. That explains the Round labels.

Ben Adams likes this.
  2. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Wizard of Oz soundtrack was No. 1 item on my 25 year old daughter's wish list. But I can't really say I understand it either. :shrug:

Jeff

apple-richard likes this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

People really came out today for RSD. I was really amazed by how young people were snapping up the vinyl.

4. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Was nice to see they doubled the release amount for DMB Live Trax.

I wanted some Dave Matthews on vinyl to listen to...not collect. The first three releases were ridiculous, but this one was much easier to get.

Orange vinyl...can't wait to spin it.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  5. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

I ended up scoring The Pink Panther Sndtrk, Dead, Devo, Aerosmith Rocks, Gram Parsons, Yardbirds, and Donny Hathaway. I ordered the Garcia Album from Jerry's Site and it is in transit...I prefer to have it on black vinyl. I was surprised I found a Dead LP...I prefer them on cd, but the vinyl sounds good.

6. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

I was pretty bummed when my store said there was a problem with the Devo 77 and they didn't have any.

7. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Are you referring to the single or Max's Kansas City Live LP?

8. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

listened to all 4 sides of my copy. Excellent SQ IMO.

9. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I became aware of RSD 2-3 years ago when I read reviews of the terrific Hoffman/Gray mastering of Rumours. Since then, I have mostly purchased RSD online (mainly because I was living in a city with few record stores) and 2 times have wandered into stores hours after the opening bell of RSD...when most of the selections are gone. Now I live in an a metro area with lots of record stores, and this year, rather than buy online, I decided to head down to my local store, not far from home.

My local Rasputin's Music was opening at 11:00 a.m. I drove by around 8:30, and there was no one waiting. I went to my gym, and returned to the store at 10:35. There were about 10 people waiting. There was one other guy as old as me (more than 50). By the time the store opened at 11:00, there 20+ people behind me, mostly 30's and 40's, some in their 20's.

The RSD goods were spread out on three tables right inside the doors, plus a few crates. When the doors opened, people moved fast, but politely. I got everything I wanted in 5 minutes, except the Allman Bros live set, which I luckily purchased on ebay 10 minutes before entering the store for a normal price of $28...thank you smart phone. I also made a big impulse purchase of a 4 Lp folk set in the store.

If the R.E.M. Unplugged had been available, I would have picked that up, but there were none offered at this store. I had the Doors Weird Scenes and Creedence 69 Singles in my basket but put them back...I have enough by both of those bands.

One young couple brought their baby in a stroller. They got the Muppets Soundtrack on vinyl, and an excited Dad was showing it to their baby. Good parents and raising their child well. Most of the RSD 2014 vinyl was gone in 30 minutes, and the store workers began putting past RSD releases out.

Here is my RSD haul. I am lucky to get these and afford them. RSD is terrific!

image.jpg

10. ChaosOfMemories

ChaosOfMemories Active Member

Eddie - I think we had a similar route - I started at Kopps, was at Soundscapes briefly then June for their opening.....

On my way home, I broke a rule I'd set for myself and stepped into the Bloor/Yonge Sunrise to see if they had "Songs our Daddy Taught Us" and indeed they did...and I saw more than one....

11. Get your point but RSD gets more people in the stores buying at once and many buy more items than they would if they were not limited. Folks feel like they must buy now or forever lose out. Human nature. I probably would not have spent $300 today and probably passed on 1/3 of what I picked up. I probably wouldn't have even heard of certain releases

12. You do know that many of these indies are corporations. Many small businesses incorporate to separate and protect individuals. But I do get what you mean.

13. Do MGMT think they are Neil Young ? Their LPs are always more expensive than almost everyone else.

14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

This was the only thing I picked up this year, but I'm a huge TFF fan! They are three cover versions that were on their website last year (and You Tube) if you want to check them out.

Jerod likes this.
  15. image.jpg

What problem ?

16. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

My haul:

RSD2014.JPG

For my brother, I picked the David Lynch's The Air Is On Fire, The Dresden Dolls The Dresden Dolls, Devo's Butch Devo & the Sundance Kid, Joy Division's An Ideal For Living.

I had the David Bowie 45 in my band, but:

I ran into a friend of mine. His pal came along, hoping to get his hands on the Bowie record. It was the only thing he was looking for, so I handed it to him. He's not a flipper, so I figured, what the hell...
    Said pal had a car, and I was invited to go to other stores. We ended up hitting 4 different places. Ran into my old neighbour at one of the other stores.
    All in all, a good day.

EXCEPT:

One of the shops was caught changing prices on items mid-day. Brazenly, he declared, "look what it's going for on eBay. Why shouldn't I make money?"
    Pretty shameless, methinks.

Wanted the Devo Max's Kansas City, but I don't think it was available in Canada.

17. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

My copy is excellent!

18. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

Will do. Thanks. Can probably pick up TFF tomorrow if I'm lucky.

19. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

I have those 4 plus, Starman, John i'm only dancing and Jean Genie. The ones released today are: 1984, Changes and Rock n Roll suicide (the store I went to today had none of them)

Collecting these is going to send me broke!

20. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

This is the first vinyl version of Loaded that I've ever gotten. Is it supposed to sound this shrill, lacking bass and with plenty of sibilance? I don't have time to dig out my Peel It and See CD box set to compare, but this vinyl doesn't sound very good to me at all. Who mastered it? The artwork and stickers on the packaging are all disappointingly lacking in any details about the source, chain, or mastering of this new edition.

The marbled vinyl looks fantastic, though. (Small consolation for the $19 I spent, though.)

Craig.

21. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

Randy Newman (sounds awesome)
    Ramblin' Jack (also sounds awesome)

If anyone has a lead on the Steve Earle, could you let me know?

22. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

Couldn't find an R.E.M. :sweating: Went to Amoeba (Los Angeles) at 7am and the line was a block and a half long. All the copies were gone before the line even moved. I'm waiting a few days to see if the eBay slaughter settles down. The line was 2 and a half blocks long when I left.

I did buy a bunch, and will evaluate over a few days. Of what I've listened to so far, The Zombies Odessey and Oracle impressed (but there's a low hit in between each track that rattles my subwoofer-- strange!) otherwise the mastering is top notch during the music.

Otis Redding is a great listen, but the EQ screams '60s Stax. I enjoy it, but if you want a full, robust mix, this might not be for you.

The Wizard of Oz soundtrack is a nice package. The green vinyl is stunning. Sound isn't the best-- it's lifted from the movie track.

Lots more to go-- I spent way more than I intended, but I can't listen any longer or my wife will be bringing out the rolling pin. That sucker hurts.

Scroller likes this.
  23. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I found my Starman and Jean Genie and then bought 1984 today.

24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Did someone say upthread that REM was getting a cd release later in the year? I sure hope so...

25. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

The singles pricing was quite high round these parts. I think the wholesale on those isn't cheap either. I'd have bought some but at an average price of $12 I passed. Granted that's a better price than in the UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.