Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April (the B side)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I got the DEVO SBS 45 of Gates Of Steel and the Sundance Live Pic Disc with DVD. My store didn't get any Max's in.

2. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Just got off the phone with my son, who went to a number of Chicago stores today. His best haul was, unsurprisingly, at Jazz Record Mart (nobody ever thinks of trying that place). The coolest thing though, and why I'm posting this, is the clever way Logan Hardware did their sale: all of the RSD stock was filed in with the regular stock throughout the store. It prevented crowding, and also made it more difficult for the early crowd to raid all the RSD stuff at once. Brilliant idea, IMO.

EasterEverywhere, Mazzy and eddiel like this.
  3. Troyh

Troyh Forum Resident

Craig,
    In regards to "Loaded", I had an original Mono promo and to me, it sounded bad to me. CMIFW, but I believe the mono was just a fold down anyway?
    I passed on it although I gave it a thought. I questioned the Muppet release. The Pink Panther would've been fun but I have a beautiful rca pressing of that.

4. padreken

padreken Senior Member

I decided I'd get in line earlier than usual this year-my son and I arrived around 5:15 and were surprised to discover we were first in line! My haul:

Jorma
    Zombies-I Love You
    Otis Redding
    Sam Cooke
    Pink Panther
    Wizard of Oz
    Ghostbusters
    The Doors
    July
    Johnny Cash
    Allman Brothers
    Tears for Fears
    Animals EP
    Jim McCarty
    Yardbirds-Little Games
    Randy Newman

My son got the one he wanted the most, Oliver Hart, as well as Opeth. My store didn't have any Oddesey & Oracle, Jerry Garcia or Dream with Dean copies, a little disappointed about that-I'd be very interested to read comparisons between the Big Beat Odessey reissue (which is my only O&O on vinyl) and the new one. A few of our choices were the only ones the store got (Doors, Oliver Hart, Zombies-I Love You) so it was definitely worth getting up early! As always, a great time chatting about music with like minded folks. For me, this was the best RSD yet.

No Static, Hamhead and BrewCrew82 like this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

How early did kopps open? Soundscapes said 10am on their site (reg hours) but they opened at 9am. Learnt that last year.

I was going to stop in at Good Music but ran out of time.

Thanks for the Sunrise heads up. That location is closer so I'll try there after work on Monday or Tuesday. Might give rotate a try as well.

6. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

What exactly do you think a "record store" is??? A record store is a generic term for a music store, or a shop/store that sells recordings. It is NOT a "vinyl store".

7. brucehf

brucehf Forum Resident

Hit 4 record shops in Charleston, SC area, saw none of the rare ones mentioned above and otherwise vinyl prices significantly higher this year than previous years, just got Green Day, Brett Dennen and Built to Spill, Jake Bugg was sold out. I remember all the free stuff they gave away when Record Store Day started, pretty much none of that anymore, at least not here - were a few CD samplers, but they were not given to you automatically with purchase, you had to ask.

8. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Sorry to quote myself, but just finishing this one up.

Sides A-D, this is phenomenal all the way through. Musicality and sound quality, A++.

j3brow and Jerod like this.
  9. apple-richard

I played the Zombies O&O Big Beat about 2 weeks ago and bought the RSD Varese Serabande issue today. To me the RSD sounds more lifelike.

lowellmorris and padreken like this.
  10. Well this is one fantastic sounding record. Haven't heard it in many years.

image.jpg

Beauvoir, goat65cars, Brudy and 5 others like this.
  11. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I was being a bit sarcastic in that post, I suppose, but still -- you're a day late and a dollar short, pal. Bull Moose has already explained the other formats don't sell as well as vinyl on Record Store Day. I figure probably because people are looking for records. At the record store. On Record Store Day.

AZRunner and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  12. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

No it isn't supposed to sound like that.Get a nice US 1841 Broadway pressing made by Monarch.They can still be picked up for $50 or less.

ChaosOfMemories likes this.
  13. nbakid2000

Regardless, this is why I don't participate in RSD. If they want my business, bring out CDs and hi-res options and stuff that's been OOP and I'll be emptying my wallet.

14. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I am loving the Pogues/ Joe Strummer lp. Flat, silent and a great live show.

15. EasterEverywhere

Great idea.Too bad there is only one RSD store in Albuquerque,and they have a special section for what titles they do get in right up front.

16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Does any one know of the post RSD availability of 'the Wizard of Oz' ST? Was RSD merely the release date for it?

It seems to be scarce. Of three local RSD locations, one store had one copy which was taken by the guy in front of me.

17. nbakid2000

So you're basically saying shops should turn away SHOPPERS because "it's too much", even though the entire point of the day is to SHOP and give shops TONS OF BUSINESS???

@Bull Moose Ben Adams wants to keep shoppers away from your store

18. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

Not to me. I've always equated the word "record store" with vinyl store, or at least a store that sells mostly vinyl. Much in the same way if someone told me they bought a record, I would never think they meant a CD, but rather a vinyl album.

19. EasterEverywhere

Looks gorgeous,but how does it sound compared to my US Epic original?

20. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

I hadn't planned on going to RSD because my parents are in town and I have to entertain them, but when I took mom shopping I got so bored I ended up going to one of the stores anyway and picked up the following... some RSD, some not RSD...

[​IMG]

Brudy likes this.
  21. Is sounds great but I've never heard your us epic original. In fact I've never even been to your house.

22. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

I personally have no issue with CD/SACD/DVD-A/Blu-ray/download titles, if it gets more people into buying music on the two RSD days.

Would be interesting to see Amazon or Apple have a download "Record Store Day", like a one-day download event (limited by time only). Same for HDTracks and the future Pono Store.

nbakid2000 and JeffMo like this.
  23. apple-richard

I'm on side 2 of mine right now. Yes it sounds and looks great!

24. Saw many many copies in Seattle today

25. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

I kinda like this and kinda don't.

If I get there early, I don't want to miss out on something because I couldn't find it. But I see how it has it's appeal to slow down flippers and spread things out.

The store I went to had a long line with a "bouncer" letting folks in only as they came out. Once I got in it was chilled and not crowded at all. Probably like 25 people in the store max at all times...including those in line to pay. There were about 10 people searching the record store day stuff and 10 or 15 more checking out the rest of the store.

I think that's a good way to handle it, although wouldn't slow down flippers much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.