Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April (the B side)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It also depends on your intended audience as well. I would see Mumford and Sons appealing more to a vinyl crowd than CD and some people are buying these strictly as collectibles without considering playing them.

Thurenity likes this.
  2. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

That's the one I had as a kid.. still have it..

3. This is one fantastic live album. Great energy.

image.jpg

4. scottM

scottM Forum Resident

About 6 hours after opening and just about everything was gone at the two stores I frequent. Picked up the Gram Parsons album on a whim (which I'm really enjoying). About 80% of the folks in the store looked to be in their twenties and I saw more women than I can ever remember. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not but about half of the remaining inventory at both stores (which amounted to about a crate each) was Aerosmith albums. They actually had a lot more inventory of prior RSD stuff than they had of new stuff. While my sample size is small there seemed to be much more traffic than in prior RSD's.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  5. Ahhh yes...I remember that one! That record got worn out many years ago. The new one is the "75th Anniversary" edition. The LP also comes with a digital download code for a recently found version of "If I Only Had A Brain" (Outtake). For those interested, the download is a mono wave file (not mp3). 16bit/44.1K.

-Bill

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

It proves that people came to shop for my vinyl not CDs. No one else was even selling used CDs except for me and still only a couple of people even looked through them yet all of them looked through the records.

7. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Yeah this one should have been a double LP, it's a no brainer.

8. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

I can't figure out why those two album were reissued, especially the Pink Panther which is a common thrift store item. Jupiter didn't have the Wizard Of Oz, I wished they used the original MGM artwork which was rad.

As for soundtracks, I hope RSD does some classic 70's soundtracks in the future like Shaft, Across 110th Street,
    A Clockwork Orange, Foxy Brown, Superfly, Star Wars, Taxi Driver, The Harder They Come.. just to name a few.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  9. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

The Hank Williams 10" brown vinyl is remarkably clean with very good fidelity for a 1950 recording. Quite impressive.

10. I wouldn't argue that point. I was stating that it depends on what you're offering, where you are and the demographic you're appealing to. It proves that in your situation and location that either there was nothing there of interest on CD or that you had a vinyl crowd coming. Again, I rarely go to RSD anymore because the offerings aren't there in my experience so naturally, if the same applies to others like me they wouldn't show up.

11. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I have a review of 2 items

First the Johnny Cash blue vinyl from sun records......also keep in mind if this was issued regularly as a reissue online I probably wouldn't have bought it because there is so much more I want online this would have been passed over, my point is I am enjoying something that RSD provided that I otherwise would not have

wonderful in every way...mix, cut, presentation...silent, flat and just is crisp in the low end...I also have copy #103 which is neat, my wife is even enjoying it

Record one of the REM.....really really nice, again silent and the band is in top form...it is mixed really beautiful especially the percussion and vocals, highlights are fall on me and Love is all Around is AMAZING!!!!!! Mike Mills organ and vocals on the record are stand outs

Hamhead likes this.
  12. reeltime

reeltime Forum Resident

That vinyl release was my favorite from last year's RSD. I still play it! It's a great recording and pressing.

wayneklein likes this.
  13. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.