Neil Young on digital audio: You're doing it wrong

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jables, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Not sure how it happened, but the quoted text you are replying to above isn't from me.

2. No, it was from me.

3. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Whoops, sorry about that, must have been a "pono" error. :doh:

wgriel likes this.
  4. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Well! Thank God for that!

Imagine if they were dishonest about their business practices!

ElvisCaprice likes this.
  5. What are you trying to say?

6. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

That companies looking to make a buck off of you would NEVER lie.

7. Actually I have had my suspicions about HDtracks myself, hence me emailing them and asking them about the process of getting music up on their online store, but I'm pretty sure that there's a computer program out there that can identify upsampled music. If this is the case and they were found out... it would be very bad publicity for them, and to a certain extent the record company or companies as well.

This may well also put people off from buying music from the Pono Music store, even if their stuff 100% legit.

That's why I asked if anyone on this forum has that software that can identify upsampled files. Apparently, HDtracks have this software themselves.

8. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

That would be the guy who owns this forum.

John Bliss and crispi like this.
  9. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I'm not sure I understand your post. The Pono format is FLAC (while the player will play pretty much all other formats as well). And there will be no DRM involved.

10. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

A lot different. While it is possible your relatives might lose a box of physical photographs, it's a guarantee that every hard drive ever made will fail.

Bolero likes this.
  11. maui_musicman

maui_musicman Well-Known Member

Perhaps you're right, but I don't trust digital devices. I thought my personal information was "secure" on the cloud too. Encryption, I was led to believe made it all safe.
    Then I got this letter from a Denver facility saying my information had been stolen from a "PASS CARD PROTECTED" room. I have never lived in Denver. Next I got an e-mail from Target. And with things like Heartbleed out there, is anything digital really safe?
    Notice to customers? I hope you don't count on that happening. I was on a digital service called Glide (for my own personal music) that simply e-mailed me and said "We're revamping our service" but when I went there to get my music off the site, it was gone. They claimed they e-mailed me earlier. They did not. I check that e-mail multiple times daily.
    I e-mailed them repeatedly. All I got was "sorry".
    I still have VHS tapes that play fine (hardware is impossible to find). Never had a rotted DVD or CD. CDR's likely will fail over time based upon the process they are recorded by.
    My advice to anyone that's gone all digital is back it all up, then back up the back ups, and back up those too. If you have it all on enough drives, you're probably safe for a few years. But, ALL hard drives will fail. Period. I simply see the "cloud" as an open invitation to corporate and government prying eyes.

12. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

Think about it long and hard? Those relatives could transfer files to newer drives, like we do now. As they could also keep those physical objects or not. Besides what's the difference, their choice, we are gone. Choose a time frame, everything goes. Just enjoy the moment and live now. Don't worry about your inconsequential physical objects after your gone.

13. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

"Few years"? The statistics on hard-drive failure that get thrown around in these kinds of discussions concern hard-drives that are in constant use (built-in in desktops, servers, notebooks...). But you usually don't use backup drives that way. I connect my backup drives to my laptop perhaps once in two or three months, and it takes about an hour to synchronize them, then they are put back into storage, disconnected. So the usage is a extremely tiny fraction of a normal hard-drive usage, which makes the fail rate infinitely smaller.

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Exactly. i have argued before why mechanical hard drives safely stored in a drawer should fail after "a few years" when not in use. Hogwash. I now have some 500mb hard drives going on 13 years old. fire up perfectly whenever I want to look for old files.

ElvisCaprice likes this.
  15. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

And if it does and no one was smart enough to have a backup copy stored elsewhere, you simply purchase a SATA to USB cable, remove the dead hard drive, plug it in to another machine and waahlaah.

Andrew Smith likes this.
  17. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

18. If you've got all your media and documents (photos, music, videos etc) backed up, they should be backed up on two or three hard drives. As soon as one goes faulty you buy another one to back up all your media and documents again. This can be done as many times as possible with no deterioration of any of the files, regardless of what kind of files they are. I am talking from experience to a degree, although my hard drive I've had for six years with the same files on it, plus more and it's still working 100% as it should be.

Not only that, but as time goes on hard drivers will become even more of a household device due to the fact everything is going digital. I dare say as well that as time goes on hard drives will become even more reliable and have a less chance of becoming faulty and losing files stored on them.

Companies that make hard drives know this and therefore will try and make their hard drives as reliable as possible. If they can promote their product as being more reliable and superior than other brands, it would be big bucks for that company as people will want the most reliable hard drives as possible, due to their digital storage files increasing and become more precious to them.

19. McLover

McLover Senior Member

But hard drives do fail. Not every record label will back them up. Hard drives not used fail the most often and suddenly in storage.

Grant likes this.
  20. That's why it's a good idea to have these records backed up on three or four hard drives, ideally in different locations (such as different studios). Any music recorded on magnetic tape certainly isn't going to last without backing it up one way or another.

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Tape has proven itself. Masters from the late 1940's can be played back. Can you play back a 3M DMS digital tape, a Decca Digital, or other non standard digital tape format, DAT which is older. Old ProTools which has not been converted.

Grant likes this.
  22. Tapes from that period plays back because it's not magnetic tape. This was mainly used in the 1970s/80s. It has to be baked every time it needs to be played to be the source of a music release. Even then it will only play for a short while until it needs baking again. Even your recordings from the 1940's I would back up, even though they play fine. All tape is susceptible to damage if handled in the wrong way, or if you drop it accidently.

As for digital tape, I was referring to backing up on a hard drive. If you have material on any of those digital tape formats you mentioned, it wouldn't be very difficult to find a business that transfers media from those old formats to a digital file on a hard drive or a CD/Data CD.

I think the issue is more to do with how long tape will survive, regardless of what format it is in, whether it be an outdated format or not. There will always be a way of converting it if you contact the right people.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  23. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Or simply do a quick Google search...

24. Yea, exactly!

25. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Indeed they do.

That's why you have copies on your main computer hard drive, a copy on your external hard drive, and a copy in the cloud.

What are the chances all three of those take a dump at the exact same time?

I'd say if they did, don't worry about walking around in a thunderstorm with a metal shafted umbrella, and make sure you play the lottery immediately.

nbakid2000 and Andrew Smith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.