Jazz Beat - Part 21

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Actually it's a very 'straight' set and Burrell is his sweet and tasty self but Terry has a few moments of expanded language that are quite nice.

TimArruda likes this.
  2. KLeigh88

KLeigh88 Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken one of the songs recorded in that session (Street Singer) ended up on the Tina Brooks Back To The Tracks record. Freddie Redd's Shades Of Redd was also recorded around that time and included Brooks and McLean.

TimArruda and JETman like this.
  3. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Yeah, it's all so incestuous :laugh: I think you're right about Back to the Tracks!

TimArruda likes this.
  4. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Only track that appears on both Street Singer and Back to the Tracks is "Street Singer". Same musicians on both sessions, recorded a month apart. I remember this kind of stuff giving me a headache when I cared to sort through it when first getting into jazz :laugh: Thank goodness we had Cuscuna to figure it all out.

TimArruda likes this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

image.jpg Picked this up along with the Charles Lloyd e.p. Both of these are samples of bigger releases coming on the Resonance Records label, the people who brought us the Bill Evans Trio at the Village Gate and a few others. SQ on the Lloyd is a little subpar even co siderite g what it is. This Wes release is better sounding and into the second song I'm digging it.
    The music on theCharles Lloyd e.p. is good, I just wish it sounded a teensy bit better. Probably won't be buying the full album of that one.

6. TimArruda

TimArruda Well-Known Member

The Jimmy Giuffre 3

[​IMG]

Jimmy Giuffre - clarinet, baritone saxophone, tenor saxophone
    Jim Hall - guitar
    Jim Atlas - bass

hkm3, Cactus Bob, DrJ and 8 others like this.
  7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

First time I've heard Jimmie sing his "The Ballad of Thelonious Monk." Love the way Carmen sings it, hilarious!

8. AxiomAcoustics

Thx for the update, was just thinking about heading out myself. I did not realize the Lloyd was an EP. May grab the Wes, Sun Ra and Jorma. Now, just need to talk the boss into driving.

Six String likes this.
  9. AxiomAcoustics

3 Jim's indeed. Love that album.

TimArruda likes this.
  10. TimArruda

Lee Morgan - Taru

[​IMG]

Lee Morgan - trumpet
    Bernie Maupin - tenor saxophone
    George Benson - guitar
    John Hicks - piano
    Reggie Workman - bass
    Billy Higgins - drums

Cactus Bob, DrJ, Six String and 5 others like this.
  11. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Introducing Letizia Gambi

[​IMG]

Cactus Bob, fingerpoppin and JETman like this.
  12. Lloyd

Lloyd Forum Resident

Bud Powell Trio At The Golden Circle
    April 19, 1962

Bud Powell P
    Torbjorn Hultcrantz B
    Sune Spangberg D

[​IMG]

Cactus Bob, DrJ, Art K and 3 others like this.
  13. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

upload_2014-4-19_20-16-13.jpeg

:winkgrin:

DrJ, Campbell Saddler, Art K and 2 others like this.
  14. TimArruda

Me too. It's interesting for me since I don't have the listening experience that you do so I'm really not used to listening to a group with no piano or drums. I'm used to one or the other if not both being present. It's pretty cool.

15. AxiomAcoustics

Well, I wouldn't say that but it's funny that while being a drummer and always focusing on them and the rhythm section most heavily I listen to a ton of music with no drums. I could listen to solo instruments all day.

Before you leave the fount of jazz that is Chicago look for this. It's $145 on Amazon Mktplace and $85 on Discogs. It's stellar and you may find it at JRM or something:
    JG.jpg

Which leads to the current platter Du Jour. Just Mr. Lackritz and his straight horn.

MM.jpg

16. TimArruda

Johnny Hartman - The Voice That Is!

I picked this up a while ago in NM condition at Reckless Records. The man has a remarkable voice, and AP did a fantastic job on this album, gatefold and all.

This has me really wanting to pick a great vinyl release of Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane.

[​IMG]

Johnny Hartman - vocals
    Dick Hafer - reeds
    Phil Kraus - marimba
    Howard Collins - guitar (tracks 6-11)
    Barry Gailbraith - guitar
    Hank Jones - piano (tracks 1-5)
    Bob Hammer - piano (tracks 6-11)
    Richard Davis - bass
    Osie Johnson - drums
    Willie Rodriguez - percussion

17. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Gonna throw a curveball (the cutter's long since moved on):

upload_2014-4-19_21-43-4.jpeg

If Summer Had Its Ghosts

Towner - g
    Gomez - b
    Billy B - dr

Cactus Bob, DrJ, KLeigh88 and 6 others like this.
  18. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Art Farmer Quartet featuring Jim Hall – Live at the Half-Note (Atlantic Records – Warner Japan/EU)
    — With Steve Swallow, Walter Perkins

[​IMG]

Cactus Bob, DrJ, Starwanderer and 9 others like this.
  19. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

This might do until an affordable copy comes along:
    [​IMG]

20. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Gary Burton & Keith Jarrett – Gary Burton & Keith Jarrett (Atlantic Records – Warner Japan/EU)
    — With Sam Brown, Steve Swallow, Bill Goodwin

[​IMG]

hkm3, Cactus Bob, DrJ and 6 others like this.
  21. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Thanks for the review.
    Amoeba SF did not have either of the Lloyd or live RSD Wes in stock according to the list they handed out before they opened. They did have the other studio Wes title but at 23 dollars for a 5 song ep with each song being under 3 1/2 minutes I put it back.

Will have to wait for the CDs when they come out later on Resonance.

22. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Tania Maria - The Real Tania Maria: Wild!
    Tania Maria, acoustic piano, electric piano & vocals; John Purcell, alto & soprano sax;
    Dan Carillo, guitar; Frank Colon, percussion; Walfredo Reyes, drums & timbales.

tania.jpg

56GoldTop, AxiomAcoustics and Art K like this.
  23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yeah, my Wes e.p. was 18.99 and it is five or six cuts so it was a bit pricey but I decided to get it anyway. The Lloyd is one 12 min. and change song on one side and a fifteen min. Dream Weaver ( the earliest version ever released) so it was about the same time wise but SQ wise was not nearly as good as the Wes and the Wes sounded decent enough but same price of course. Now the full albums I've bought from the label have been around $50 +\- $5 so it might not be too bad
    But if it is a sampler, based on SQ, I'm glad I only spent $19 instead of $50! Bear in mind I've only heard these records once and my review might change a little but at the same time I was taken aback by the SQ of the Lloyd disc which was the only piece I was truly interested in from the entire list. I'll post an update if it is important but at this point, depending on your vantage point, you might want to feel lucky that you didn't get the Lloyd. The eternal optimist in me wants to think that the complete album might sound better overall but I don't know.:sigh:

For my taste this was not a RSD to go large. I'm glad I made more money than I spent and I may regret purchasing the Black Crowes w/Page @ the Greek. I've given it one good listen and liked it but it might not survive multiple listens. Sorry for the non jazz critique guys and gals!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  24. AxiomAcoustics

No, do tell. I did not see that BC listed. I thought the CD was pretty good.

25. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Bill Evans Trio - Crosscurrents

[​IMG]

Cactus Bob, DrJ, TimArruda and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.