Alan Parsons Project boxed set featuring all 10 albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mdekoning, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

To add to forum member Hawkeye's list above, don't forget to check out the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Looking-Over-Shoulder-Chris-Rainbow/dp/B000PDZOVW

(Worth EVERY penny, IMO!)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  2. Chris C

3. Chris C

and ...

Naturally, anything by The Zombies (for Colin Blunstone)

4. Chris C

and, don't forget this great one by John Miles, produced by Parsons, which is as good as listening to The APP

Note, Alan Parsons produced a few albums by John Miles and so did singer/songwriter Rupert Holmes, believe it or not?

5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

My old LP had a gatefold too. It looked like this (pic of a German pressing from ebay):

[​IMG]

6. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Except for Tales/Robot/Eve these remasters do not have an DR problem at all. The main reason people don't like them is their bright sound, not extreme compression or lack of dynamics. Btw, I like most of the remasters ...

PROG U.K. likes this.
  7. Chris C

Thank you for posting this! No doubt, here in the U.S., we got all of that (and more), as our version of the gatefold cover is a pull out poster, with the gatefold on one side and the outside cover, as a poster on the other!

APP 1.jpg APP 2.jpg

wolfram likes this.
  8. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

I learn something old every day. I had no idea the original US release had no gatefold but had a poster/insert instead. Having said that, there was no attempt to replicate the insert in the box set, just like the albums with custom inner sleeves.

Chris C likes this.
  9. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

The booklet says "Re-mastering for the box set Dave Donnelly with Alan Parsons and Jeff Magid at DNA Mastering, Woodland Hills, California 2013".

Who on earth believes that?

10. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

The original german EMI pressing was not a gatefold and I can't remember seeing this version. I somehow doubt that it's a german pressing.

11. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

For what it's worth: I've got nothing against the remasters either, but I bought half of them at budget price, so they really needed to add some value to the box to get my interest.

shaboo likes this.
  12. Col Kepper

Col Kepper Well-Known Member

I have most of the 2007/08 remasters with the sole non-remaster exception of the 2-CD The Definitive Collection by the Alan Parson's Project. I'm keeping this one!

apptdc.jpg

nbakid2000 and shaboo like this.
  13. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

A great sounding compilation! Of course this has been remastered, too (by Alan Parsons and Simon Heyworth, in 1997), but it sounds less bright than the individual remasters from 2007/2008.

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

It's the best compilation (sound).

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

16. Chris C

While I can't deny that Lenny Zakatek has sung many a great APP song, I've honestly just never been a fan of his voice. To think that he had a ghost of a chance of having a promising solo career, with the name Zakatek, was being a bit hopeful on everyone's part and that old A&M album, featuring him on the cover in those so NOT cool looking air tight pants and that somewhat flaming smile, didn't help!

17. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

If you have those remasters already you won't find anything new or different in the new box.
    Apart from that "bonus" album, that originally was just a strategic recording to annoy the record company - unlike maybe a "rejected" album or unreleased production.

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's actually worse than that. You also lose all the bonus tracks that were added to the various albums when they were reissued a few years ago. Without a doubt, there's more of value among those bonus tracks than there is on the previously unreleased album.

19. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

It's NOT the worse way for a casual fan to get everything in once place with decent mastering.

20. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

I had the LP, probably played it 3 times in 10 or so years. Gave it away. I like his voice on the Project albums, but there just wasn't much joy on this solo LP.

21. Chris C

Check this out ... Alan Parsons is coming to a record store that I actually shop at, in May!

I was at this store yesterday, for Record Store Day and he had a copy of the new box, somewhere in the vicinity of $115 dollars. I have no intention of buying this box, but it would be cool to meet Alan! Too bad that the late Eric Woolfson can't be a part of this, as he is the guy who I would've loved to meet!

https://www.facebook.com/RecordDen

Hawkeye likes this.
  22. Chris C

Also, someone kindly posted the entire "The Sicilian Defense" on U-TUBE, if you've never heard it. This is truly hard for me to say, especially as I'm such a longtime fan of APP, but this album is a complete piece of garbage and no wonder that Arista or Parsons, never wanted it released!

Pete Puma likes this.
  23. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Recent Interview with Alan Parsons:

http://www.examiner.com/article/ala...ns-to-cleveland-for-greatest-hits-concert?cid

His comments on brickwalling:

ALAN PARSONS: I don’t the world is ready to buy any one box for the sake of playing those particular files. I think another mistake the consumers are making is relying on music on-the-move, playing music in trains and on buses and stuff. Quite apart from the delivery format, the pressure on artists and producers to make the loud, LOUD record has become a problem. The heavy compression on everything, driving the meters to the absolute point of distortion.

EXAMINER: Yes, I’ve seen a few articles on that. “Brick-walling,” I think they call it, because when you look a waveform of a particular song, there aren’t any ups and downs to reflect dynamics. It’s all high. And I’ve read some articles on bands I like where fans have complained that their recent albums were subject to this process.

ALAN PARSONS: Brick wall limiting, yeah. The “level wall” we call it in the industry, as well. Everybody wants their record to be just as loud as everybody else’s. But my philosophy has always been, “If it isn’t loud enough, just turn it up!”

Stuart S and Hawkeye like this.
  24. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Actually, I wouldn't mind to have it. Not buying the box for this though..

25. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

I've heard him say that on many different occasions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.