Needledrops inconsistent?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SimplyOrange, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doctorcilantro

Doctorcilantro Forum Resident

If you are interested in a VST RIAA up to 192kHz of "PureVinyl" quality (e.g. heavy-duty math), let me know. I think I still have it. Of note, getting a very high quality RIAA free gain stage can be cost effective for digital RIAA. The AEA Big Ribbon preamp is a nice impedance match for MM or MI like Grados. But you have to wire it up XLR.

2. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I'm still confused. How does software measure signal change in the analog portion of the chain, which is where I thought you said my problem likely lay? Sound Studio already measures the levels coming in from the Edirol, but the sound is already bad by that stage, even with input levels set way below clipping.

3. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

If this the unit you're talking about?

[​IMG]

The web page says the input impedance is 18k ohms, which is closer to line-in (10k) than what a moving magnet wants to see (47k).

If the input impedance was adjustable, this would be a killer needledropping pre for those who want to do a software RIAA EQ adjustment.

The RCA to XLR problem is relatively trivial to fix with cables that have the right ends and are wired correctly.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Check the signal processing at every stage, and you'll know. I'm already suspicious of what's coming before the A/D, because that's a very typical place where overload occurs.

5. Doctorcilantro

Doctorcilantro Forum Resident

Sorry, I forgot the manual is wrong. I used to own it and AEA told me it was closer to 36K. Not 47...but it worked very well with the Grados, and there has been discussion on AA about loading the Grados lower than 47K with good benefit. It is dead quiet...I kind of still wish I was into the Digital RIAA. This AEA equals $3-4K phono stages probably...

gloomrider likes this.
  6. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

It's the Grado. I tried plugging it into the Aux input on my Scott, and got the same clipping through the speakers. Weird, as it was working fine before I brought it downstairs.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'd be curious to see an actual waveform to know if the signal is literally clipping (which would look like a squarewave) or if it's just got a ton of distortion in it. Swapping out the cartridge for another one would be another good troubleshooting test.

8. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I deleted it, but it was a square wave.

That said, I hooked the turntable up to the phono jack on my receiver, and the sound is fine. Something has obviously failed in the Grado.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.