Living Stereo Vol. 2 Boxed Set (February 2014)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sordel, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lunna

Lunna Forum Resident

It seems you can't pre-order this on amazon or amazon.co.uk anymore ... strange ...

2. moops

moops Senior Member

Contemplating the purchase of this box as I really love the first one.
    A couple of questions for those with classical music knowledge ...... from looking at the discs in this second box would it be worth the purchase if you didn't already own any of these performances ? I've been looking for opinions on the net but all I seem to find is experienced classical collectors saying that they have much of what is in this second box already and they won't be purchasing etc ..... I have none of these. Also some comments seem to suggest that the performances are ok but it is more for those with a nostalgia kick. I have found these box sets a great way to dive into classical, does this second box equal the first ?

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I am not sure if it equals the first, but if you don't own any of this already then it is an absolute must, as there are plenty of great performances included. I wouldn't hesistate if I were you. The Amazon UK price is less than a £1 a disc as well.

Don't get the 'nostalgia' thing either - if you like the sound of the first box you will like this. It's just some of the great performers recorded during the golden age. Doesn't matter to me how old they are and I even prefer the sound of these recordings to modern ones anyway.

I think it's a bargain however you look at it.

4. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Release date now April 21st per Amazon.uk

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  5. moops

moops Senior Member

Great, thanks for the advice ! :wave:

6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Does seem like that will never happen. :(

I did find this terrific single disk, and it sounds great. But the price is cruel.

three Suns-518NKZQXZ6L.jpg

7. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

:pineapple:Just got an email from Amazon.uk saying that my Living Stereo Vol. 2 had been shipped. 40 quid plus s&h, not bad at all.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  8. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

+1 :winkgrin:

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  9. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Don't know about you, but I can't wait till I get my hands on Monteux/Boston Tchaikovsky 4.

10. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

+2

11. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

+3
    shipped

12. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

"Dispatching Now"

13. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Hmmmm. Jealous. Cancelled my order for this based on having over half of it in other big boxes, but regretting it now.

14. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

I received the same message about this set: now on the way...

15. moops

moops Senior Member

I had it ordered, cancelled it, then re-ordered it again while it was still cheap .......
    Dispatching now, all the way to Australia - total cost AUD $80.00 !!!!!!!

Thanks to Jim.B for post #28 ...... he convinced me to re-order ! :wave:

16. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Mine arrived on Friday.

17. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mine was due yesterday but I didn't hear the bell. Should be today, although honestly it's anyone's guess when I listen to it because I've got loads of other stuff ahead of it in the queue (including the Colin Davis set that I'm just listening to right now).

It would really help though if anyone who has received the set reports on a disc-by-disc basis to give some idea of the highs & lows.

18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I was just about to go out: 5 minutes more and I'd have missed it. I certainly didn't expect a delivery on Good Friday. Had I missed it it would have been a 'mare to pick up.

Just starting on the first disc, with French roast coffee and toasted brioche/beurre d'Isigny.

So far, I'm high.

19. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Les just hope there ain't no faulty discs in this first batch. Fingers crossed:kilroy:

20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

2 down, 58 to go. Fine so far.

21. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Awesome! Some people complained on Amazon about the quality of the first box. Got mine from Amazon.de, no issues with it whatsoever. Enjoy the music!

22. PIXIllate

PIXIllate New Member

I have just received my set from Amazon.ca and looked for the remastering information.
    There is no mention of John Newton or Soundmirror or DSD.

Some of these have no information some just a name and others list some of the following: Tape Transfer and Mastering: Andreas K. Meyer, Meyer Media, LLC, or list remastering "in BGM/RCA Studios, New York City" by a variety of different names including Jon Samuels, Marian Conaty, Hsi-Ling Chang, Edward Houser, Harold Hagopian, John Pfeiffer (Copland, Bizet, Brittan).

I have not begun to listen but buyer's should not assume the same fantastic sound as the first collection.

23. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Got my box yesterday. I'll be delving deep into it soon...looking forward! :winkgrin:

24. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Couple of (brief) CDs in and it sounds very good. Oddly shaped box but I have no real complaints.

25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Nor I, after six CDs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.