Warner logo along vinyl labels perimeter: the definitive thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Stefano G., Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris. Thread Starter

All vinyl collectors well know that the Warner logo is very important to establish the vinyl labels chronology, and then to assign a date to the copy that we have in our hands .

Now the question is : when this logo was introduced for the first time in the various countries ?

In the United Kingdom may be interesting to consider the album " Physical Graffiti " : this album was first released on February 24, 1975, and the first copies did not have the Warner logo printed on the labels ; but after a few weeks, in the UK you could buy copies of this album with the Warner logo: so probably in the UK the Warner logo appeared in the spring of 1975.

In Italy, the Italian WEA was founded in the summer of 1975 and during this time the logo appeared on labels printed in Italy by the Italian Warner, Elektra and Atlantic ( and their various sublabels such as Asylum, Reprise , etc. . ) .

As for the other countries and the United States , I understand that there is a bit of confusion about this topic.

Does anyone have any information to give? this is the right thread .

Thanks to all those who give their help.

a photo of the famous Warner logo:

warner.jpeg

...and a photo of a "Physical Graffiti" label with the Warner logo:

graffiti.jpeg

2. Stefano G.

I add a bit of history of that period, in order to better frame the general situation: Atlantic was acquired by Seven Arts in 1967. In 1969, the Kinney National Company purchased Warner Brothers/Reprise/Atlantic from Seven Arts. In 1970, after purchasing Warner and Atlantic, Kinney also bought Elektra Records from Jac Holzman, putting Warner/Reprise, Elektra, and Atlantic all under the Kinney empire. In 1972, Kinney renamed itself Warner Communications, Inc., which included the giant WEA Distribution corporation (for "Warner/Elektra/Atlantic").

Any information is very welcome to finally try to clarify about the famous Warner logo, printed on the labels of vinyl.

3. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Ironically, among the last labels in the Warner family to start bearing the (w) logo in the U.S. were Warner Bros. and Reprise. The first Warners' releases to have the new rim print had the old "shield" logo as on the 1973-75 variant of the "palms" logo, as on this example, which would have been in April (although one variable is which pressing plants had what label stock on hand - just as in 1970 when, after the shield logo was revived, some new LP's and 45's (such as Van Morrison's Moondance) were pressed with W7 logos); by July they tweaked the Warners' "palms" label again, this time with a revised version of the WB shield which had a "RECORDS" banner around it (as on this release). Reprise, the earliest known 45 with the (w) logo was this October 1975 single, but some pressings of individual singles had the old rim print as late as 1976 (as on this gem).

February 1975 was when the (w) logo first made itself known on Atlantic/Atco releases; Elektra and Asylum likewise revamped their label designs to make room for (w) in that month of that year.

4. Stefano G.

So the labels belonging to the empire of Warner Communications, did not use the Warner logo at the same time: however, 1975 was the most important year for this specific research, although WEA was founded in the U.S. not in 1975, but in 1972; this is very interesting; thanks W.B.

5. Stefano G.

6. W.B.

The "Burbank" / "palm trees" label design first took effect in 1973, but the (w) logo (a.k.a. WCI or "Wickey") was first incorporated into the rim print in 1975. However, the variant shown on that link was from 1976 - the year Warners' started contracting with Capitol to press their product. (The rim print on Columbia pressings of Warner/Reprise product differed considerably from on Capitol pressings.)

McLover, Cassius and Stefano G. like this.
  7. Stefano G.

8. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Germany was the only country I am aware of that actually put Kinney on their labels.I'm sure there were others.This was only done from 1969-1972.

9. Stefano G.

In the UK, Elektra switched to the "K series" in 1971: started the use of the prefix 'K' for cat# and/or matrix (not on Atlantic albums), where the letter K was used for Kinney, of course.
    In the UK, the use of the prefix 'K' for cat# and/or matrix started also for Atlantic in 1972, when Atlantic became fully part of Kinney Record Group Ltd.

10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

The Kinney wording were on at least some Canadian WEA records during that period.

11. Stefano G.

There is probably something to edit: I found two UK records, both released in 1974, with the Warner logo on the label:

TotalEclipse.jpeg

StanleyClarke.jpeg

...from what I could see, they are both first UK pressings: I am not aware that these two albums were pressed in the UK without the Warner logo ....

This fact means that in the UK the Warner logo appeared earlier than in the United States.

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

In the U.S., the logo started appearing on WEA product in 1974, even thought they had been a conglomerate since 1968.

13. Grant

I have Atlantic 45s with the "W" logo from 1974.

14. Stefano G.

I stand corrected immediately: the first UK press of the album "Total Eclipse" by Billy Cobham, did not have the Warner logo!

670217778_o.jpg

...Now it remains to check the Stanley Clarke's record: I am not aware that the first UK press was devoid of Warner logo.

15. Stefano G.

May you do the courtesy to include a photo, please? thanks

16. Grant

Well, I can't because I am mistaken. WB is right. 1975. I should know better than to counter W.B.. He's always on the money.

McLover likes this.
  17. W.B.

Beside, any copy with a 1974 (P) date would have been pressed (if on Atlantic) after February 1975.

Cassius likes this.
  18. Stefano G.

Please could you provide some clarification? thanks

19. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

I was actually thinking about this the other day. I have seen Pre 75 International Pressings of Reprise and WB releases with the Saul Bass bubble logo on them, but they may have been pressed in 75 or later.

Summer '75 seems to be the date I see US Reprise and WB stuff adding the bubble, about 6 months to year (?) prior to the switch made from Columbia to Capitol factories to make their records.

20. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

IN THE uk always thought it was mid 75 but i have no definitive info on this, thats just the date my experience at the time and collecting subsequently tells me....

21. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Does anyone have a breakdown of release or pressing dates based on "K" series catalogue numbers?

Over in a Sinatra thread, we've been trying to determine the release dates of four UK Reprise reissue LPs (cat. nos. K 54112–54115), with the Warner Communications logo on both the labels and rear sleeves. For example:

[​IMG]

The above discussion establishes 1975 as the earliest date for these, but @Daveymoore believes they were 1980's issues, based on the price stickers (£3.99) on his copies.

See here: "Reprise Musical Repertory Theatre" (Four 1963 Albums by Sinatra, Dean Martin, Crosby, et al)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2017
    Daveymoore and MLutthans like this.
  22. Stefano G.

A copy pressed for example in 1977 could be sold in 1982. In this case the price sticker was glued in 1982. So: a price sticker is never a sign of anything unless a price code is printed on the cover (such as the famous Columbia price codes...).

muffmasterh likes this.
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Answering my own question: It appears these may have been released/pressed in the 1980s after all, as suggested by @Daveymoore . This issue has cat. # K 54117 (just two removed), and it is an album first released in the US in 1981. (Thanks to AndrewT at the SFF.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    MLutthans likes this.
  24. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

I was beginning to believe that they might be 1970's! The 80's would go along with the Discogs suggestion.

Bob F likes this.
  25. Stefano G.

Is the inner sleeve date-coded?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.