Shades of Deep Purple RSD Reissue - Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SimplyOrange, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident Thread Starter

I unfortunately cannot get this title in the states. Anyone in the UK have any thoughts on it? Is it one of those "Scorpio" reissues?

2. SimplyOrange

3. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

EMI mono reissue. Saw it, but didn't get it.

4. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Saw a few of them here.

5. fuhrsy31

fuhrsy31 Forum Resident

Bought it... Purple vinyl. It sounds ok but it's the first time I heard the mono. I have to get used to it. That album never sounded great if I recall. More critical comparisons later.

6. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

Bought it. No chance to listen yet. Will comment when I do

7. SimplyOrange

Thanks for the replies. Had no idea it was even in mono.

8. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

Had a chance to listen now. My record is flat and quiet.
    Sound quality is not that great, but I don't know if it is to do with the recording itself, the source used or the mastering. It somehow doesn't sound like a digital source to me but I have no other version to compare it with. My system is very unforgiving and poor recordings sound awful. This one is not so bad so overall I am satisfied. Music is great!

9. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Picking up the RSD reissue tomorrow. Will have to A/B against my original UK mono on the weekend.

I wonder if this means the mono IS a dedicated mix. Why would they reissue a fold? Not that I'm saying they wouldn't...

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Prior discussion here pretty much concluded it was a fold. Don't have it myself, but there are a few souls here who are in the know.

They could very well have decided to issue it based on the wild out of control ebay prices, figuring that regardless of whether it's a fold or not, there's a real demand out there.

11. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Would be very interesting to get some information after a critical comparison between the original mono LP and the reissue...at the time I am thinking about buying it, cause I never heard the mono version. For the stereo, I really love my blue columbia german pressing.

12. Mistermono

One observation: there is a lot of phasing present on the mono in "I'm So Glad" - especially near the end (listen for the last, fast drum roll) that is not on the stereo. Could this be a sign of an OOP fold?

13. sathvyre

I will receive my mono RSD LP today, have to check it.

14. I have the original LP not great sound

15. sathvyre

I listened to some songs...it sounds horrible. Maybe it is really a folddown or they played the mono mix tape with a stereo deck and converted it back to mono again (same as on the 1987 Beatles mono CDs).
    This release is definitely needless. I never had the chance to listen to a real mono LP of SODP, but I am sure it sounds better than the new reissue were you can clearly hear some serious azimuth errors...

16. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with an original UK Parlophone or German Odeon.

The EMI 100 issue is pretty good too.

17. sathvyre

MONO...???

18. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

It's not that bad ya know...I did have to return mine because it skipped something like 20 times on side two. Replacement copy (probably the last one in Toronto!) was fine with no skipping.

19. sathvyre

I am sure I will never listen to that new MONO LP...would be great to have the chance to listen to (a copy of) the original MONO pressing...

20. Mistermono

You won't hear much difference. They are made from the same tape. Now, the RSD may be cut from digital or they may have futzed with the EQ on the reissue (it does sound a tad cleaner), but I do not hear a dramatic difference between the two. I haven't had a chance to closely A/B them, but that's my opinion as of today.

21. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Is the mono a fold?The stereo is pretty hard to top.
    Most RSD records are cut from digital.A big turn off for me.

22. Mistermono

It would be nice if there was some information with the LP. There isn't even a hype sticker on the shrink. I had no idea that the LP was mono or that the vinyl was purple until I read about here after having it in my hand and putting it back on the shelf. Lucky for me the store I was in still had one in stock a couple of days after RSD.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Mono isn't stereo and I nearly always prefer stereo unless it is a bad early stereo mix. This new Mono sounds OK but I prefer the stereo. No way of comparing to original Mono and they go for silly prices. May be digital but that does not appear to be a problem in this case. It is rather dark sounding (like many Monos) and takes a revealing system to bring out the detail. The pressing quality is fine and it's an interesting alternative to have though far from essential IMO. I'm sure it would sound better with a mono cartridge and single speaker as that was the purpose of providing Mono versions in the late 60s. BTW not a great recording to start with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.