Calling builders/users of the VSPS phono stage. Opinions requested please.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by felix.scerri, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. felix.scerri

felix.scerri Forum Resident Thread Starter

G'day all, the new interconnects on my Marantz have forced me to re-evaluate every phono stage I possess and this afternoon I plugged in my DIY VSPS designed by Richard Murdey of RJM.

Although I've always had some questions about aspects of its design (the so called Allen Wright /50 KHz time constant), I've always regarded this phono stage as sounding particularly 'musical'. Listening to some John Williams Classical guitar with it this afternoon, that 'musical' impression is once again apparent.

To my ears the RIAA curve seems accurate. How do others find the equalisation accuracy and 'sound' generally? Regards, Felix.

2. missan

missan Forum Resident

Hi Felix, did You measure the hiss as per Your recent thread?

3. felix.scerri

G'day mate, it's an ongoing investigation, but the OPA2134 is definitely audibly noisier than the venerable NE5532AP in my phono stage anyway! Regards, Felix.

4. missan

missan Forum Resident

Of course hum is always the biggest part in any stage.

5. felix.scerri

G'day mate, all ok on the hum. Yep! Being here in a Ham Radio shack there are lots of different 'earths' that impose themselves on audio signals!

Actually I've removed one earth connection for one of my AM tuners that eliminates 99 per cent of the hum on audio signals. Regards, Felix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.