Record Store Day 2014 - sound/pressing quality reviews RSD releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

Thanks for the input, heading out now.:thumbsup: I've only heard the Black Lion CD so looking forward to this.

2. socalcm

socalcm Forum Resident

Bullitt soundtrack has a blemish in the first track.

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I was fortunate enough to score a copy of the RSD release of Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine. Bruce Botnick is credited for the mastering "from the original master tapes." The vinyl is beautiful, for the most part quiet and the sound is considerably improved over the 1972 release but understandably not quite up to the standards of the Analogue Productions 45RPM's of the core catalog. Interestingly, the song You Need Meat (Don't Go No Further) is remixed (but I'm OK with it.) At least everything else is the original mix.

knob twirler likes this.
  4. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Yes I did. The sound is very good and has a good old fashioned analog sound to it (same goes for the B-side Purple Dancer.) I paid 10 bucks for mine but since there was only 3,000 made if you like the older Fleetwood Mac, $20 wouldn't be out of line. Nice picture sleeve and pressed on real nice deep purple translucent vinyl too.

Attached Files:

Vinyl_Blues and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  5. backeast

backeast Forum Resident

Just finished listening to Live at The Turf Club. I was on the fence about spending $19 on what might have been a shoddy quality recording 10". Glad I ignored my fears! The pressing is top notch, the whiskey colored vinyl a plus, but most importantly the music and recording are very good. You can hear all the ambiance of the club, but it never overtakes or distracts. A fun and enjoyable listen for any Wes fan.

Did anyone pick up the Wes Montgomery & The Montgomery-Johnson Quintet 10"? I noticed the sticker didn't mention anything about colored vinyl where The Turf Club did.

6. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Anyone pick up the Katy Perry picture discs? Comparing to what's stamped in the deadwax in the standard black vinyl edition (going by discogs) the beginning of the codes are the same but there are extra numbers on the black vinyl standard release that aren't here. And there is no mention of the sterling sound stamp that is in the deadwax on my copy. Same cutting or is this different? Picture discs look nice and I've yet to spin them but seem to be a good pressing. Disc 1 is impossible to remove from the packaging though.

7. mistercleen

mistercleen Forum Resident

Wes Montgomery Live at the Turf Club sounds like a pretty good cleaned up home recording. The performance is great. Bernie Grundman cut the vinyl master on this and did the best he could. Wes and the Montgomery Johnson Quintet was originally recorded by Quincy Jones, so it's much more professional. Fran Gala and George Klabin did the mastering on that one.

8. mistercleen

mistercleen Forum Resident

Yes. Mine is black vinyl. Very nice.

9. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Anyone having issues with side 6 (3 rd disc) of the REM Unplugged set? Starting at the third song, it's almost as if the source changes to a much lower quality. Listening with a buddy last night, we both think we even hear a sound as if siphon etching is being switched or changed. Songs 3 and 4 on that side (side 6) sound worse than everything else on the set from either date. I don't think it's pressing damage, as lp itself is quiet.

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Question: are these Wes recordings available on CD at all?

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I have never heard the CD version to compare, but I had no problems with my clear LP version. I would've preferred a different color and a download card, but whatever I guess. It's a great album, and I'm going to be diving into their catalog more soon.

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I thought about getting it but then I saw it was truncated from the CD version, so I passed. I'd love a high quality, non-truncated version of Atliens as that was a big album for me as a teenager.

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Were these just alternate takes of album tracks? One of my favorite modern bands anyway...

14. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Could you kindly tell me who cut the LP? Is there a scribe in the deadwax? How does the LP sound? Thanks.

15. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

I found both Zombies records and they sound great, no issues. If you liked last year's She's Still There, you'll like these, although I think O&O sounds the best of all three (of course it does benefit from being recorded later).

I picked up the The Litter 7" by sundazed and that really sounds fantastic.

The Idle Race sound the best I've heard them on vinyl.

Spoon - Loveways. I haven't heard the original, but this sounds good. Not as perfect as their full length LPs on vinyl, but in the ballpark.

troggy and goat65cars like this.
  16. RJ3000

RJ3000 Forum Resident

This was a performance they did for their label, so a "live" performance from last summer. You can read more and watch the performance on their site.

17. attym

attym Forum Resident

Not to get too far off topic, but what is CSG? I just picked up an original but considered waiting for the RSD press. A KG press is tempting.

18. TooLoudASolitude

TooLoudASolitude Forum Resident

My copy of the Cure/Dinosaur Jr. split 7" is pressed badly off centre and sounds terrible. The variation in pitch is really noticible as my stylus weaves back and forth while trying to track the record.

I'm going to go back and return it tomorrow and pick something else out from the rsd leftovers.

19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

So Kevin Gray cut this? That's a nice surprise.
    Interested in this one, but was it sourced from the 2005 cd?

http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/6827

David.m likes this.
  20. vinyldinosaur

vinyldinosaur New Member

I agree. "Oracle" sounds great, but "The Zombies" seems closed-in and muddy at times. Great songs though.

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Sorry to read this Ben - after your Depeche Mode vinyl debacle that really sucks.

22. Billy Bird

Billy Bird Forum Resident

Yep. Noticed something was up when playing it yesterday. Thought it was a little inner groove distortion, but certainly fits your description.

23. Earwax

Earwax Forum Resident

Are those the SoundSmith cartridge screws on your headshell? My TT is in the shop (at SoundSmith) and Peter mentioned that my counterweight is pushed forward as far as it can go and that if I added weight to the headshell I could back off the counterweight and get a better balanced tonearm. He suggested those screws but they seem large and clunky. Do you think they look okay in person? Do you get used to them?

24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Brilliant, I ordered this from a store that had it in stock. Can't wait to hear it!

Looks like it was a good seller, so hopefully ORG release more avant-garde jazz for future RSDs or regular releases.

25. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Agreed. Between this one and the Roland Kirk set, my neighbors must be wondering what on earth is going on here!

Campbell Saddler and hvbias like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.