Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April (side 3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hawkman, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It saddened me to see so many items on Ebay but i suppose that's the way things are?.

2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I was thinking a different part of his anatomy...

levi, Brudy and auburn278 like this.
  3. I didn't see one person pickup or buy Ice T.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  4. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

Here's my experience (from the other locked thread) with updates:

Was at my local (Bananas) very early (3rd in line). Everything was orderly as usual. The staff had us write down our wants, started pulling them prior to letting us in the door, and had them waiting at the counter as we walked in. I greatly prefer this method to the mad rush/"snatch and grab" some stores do. I got everything on my (short) list that the store received (they posted a list of titles they had in stock on Facebook on Thursday).

Devo-Butch Devo And The Sundance Gig
    Pixies-Indie Cindy
    Southern Culture On The Skids/Fred Schneider 7".

They had pretty good stock, but no R.E.M. box, ZTT box, or MGMT titles.

Got a bag of freebies as well (CD samplers, buttons, a 10" of music from Finland, temporary tattoos...)

I then drove to another store (Sound Exchange) and scored a couple things on my list that Bananas didn't receive:

MGMT-Oracular Spectacular (couldn't find "Congratulations" locally...no biggie as it's getting a wide release).
    Cage The Elephant-Take It Or Leave it 7"

They also still had Pixies and Butch Devo. I coulda slept in....(would have only missed the SCOTS 7").

Then it was off to Disc Exchange and Planet Retro to see if I could snag the other MGMT (nope). Did see the JB's LP at Planet Retro, but balked at the price tag. Also passed on the ZTT box at Sound Exchange for the same reason.

Had lunch, went back to Bananas for a t-shirt they were printing on-site, then home for a nap.

As an aside....pretty much the same group of folks (music fans, not "flippers", thankfully) from the last 2 years were at the front of the line at Bananas. The guy first in line was considering getting the Cake box, but once he reached the counter and found the store had only received one, he let the guy behind me (who had expressed the most interest in it) buy it. Classy move.

Move ahead to this morning...got the MGMT-Congratulations online from Vintage Vinyl (they've come through for me in the past for RSD Black Friday, so I checked there first). List complete.

5. Orange is the new Black

image.jpg

PennyLanes, levi, Tjazz and 2 others like this.
  6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The shop I went to yesterday had just one copy. I'm guessing they got more than one. His music isn't my cup of tea, but I like him as Fin. :)

TommyTunes and Mazzy like this.
  7. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

My buddy and I, who have always gone to their Scarborough first in the past, decided to go to the South Portland location this year instead. Last year, since they hadn't been open that long, they barely even had a line on RSD. We had hit Scarborough first, and when my friend couldn't find what he was looking for, we went to So Po, and were amazed how few people were there, and how much stuff they had that Scarborough was already sold out of. That's when we decided to hit there first this year, as Scarborough's line has only increased with each passing year.

We got there a half hour before opening, and were third in line. By the time they opened, there were at least 40 or more people behind us. Everybody got in fine. No pushing, shoving or trampling. Folks kindly handing stuff to others if they saw something they wanted and couldn't reach. I got everything I was looking for, but by the time my buddy decided he wanted a copy of The Doors, too, they had sold out, so it was off to Scarborough after all, where they still had a goodly number of copies in stock. We couldn't attend the Mike Mills signing, but I saw they had an ample amount of the R.E.M. set on hand. Agreed that anyone looking for it still should try there online tomorrow.

I absolutely love that we have Bullmoose as our local indie music store. The prices are always fair (not so of the somewhat inflated amounts charged nearby at Newbury Comics), the vibe is always great, and with only one exception in all my years of attending RSD, I have always found everything I was looking for and hoping to get. Even had a real nice conversation with Chris Brown, himself, while I was there yesterday, too.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    johnnypaddock likes this.
  8. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

The guy ahead of me in line picked one up, yesterday. I suppose some people bought it, some didn't? But not necessarily a hot item?

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Was it cut from the original 2-track masters?:D

EasterEverywhere and Mazzy like this.
  10. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I bought the 2 LP set and the CD. Record for the house and CD for the car. I love those Green Day guys. Here's a photo I posted last night.

Green Day RSD 001.JPG Green Day RSD 002.JPG

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  11. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

How do you like Green Day's "Demolicious?" Are the tracks different enough from the finished product to be worth a listen?

12. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I like the fact it's not so polished. Sounds like a band rehearsal and these guys really can bring it even when you know they're screwing around. They do a take of one song which I thought sounded great and at the end they're laughing about how sloppy it sounds.to them.

levi and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  13. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

My local had at least two of the Half Japanese today when I went back to grab some stuff for a friend. I don't know how many they originally got or the price.

Brudy likes this.
  14. roggae

roggae Well-Known Member

my local shop turned a blind eye to this at the first record store day, and i admit i made a killing on a 7" that no one wanted in person but paid handsomely for online. i wouldn't do it again, but understand the logic.

15. roggae

roggae Well-Known Member

that dude sounds like a real douche

16. roggae

roggae Well-Known Member

because it was a laughable "greatest hits". as a die hard T fan, this is unacceptable. reissue OG for flips sake!

ausamerika and ad180 like this.
  17. oojavaguru

oojavaguru Forum Resident

So I stopped by Crooked Beat on my way back from Nashville and the Third Man Records show yesterday.

Here is what Crooked Beat has left, I made a giant list (misspellings intentional):

E-mail them at [email protected]

7" Records

• Bearegarde
    • Bis Picture Disc
    • Black Lips
    • Blitzen Trapper
    • Bok Bok
    • Eric Carmen
    • Christian Death
    • Close Your Eyes
    • Crystal Antlers
    • Dads (at least 5)
    • Die Kreuzen
    • DeLux
    • Dodos
    • Easy Action
    • Farside
    • Howlin Rain/Donkey split
    • Wanda Jackson
    • Shooter Jennings
    • Kings of Leon
    • Ray Langford
    • Roy Lanham
    • Last Internationale
    • Hamilton Leifhausen
    • Litter
    • Mazzy Star
    • Middle Class Rut
    • MKTO
    • Mystery Side by Side (Love/Rush)
    • Neon Trees
    • Oakes
    • Conor Oberst (solo, not the Dawes split)
    • Pantera/Poison Idea
    • Papercuts
    • Dolly Parton
    • Nina Piersson
    • Purge
    • RPM Footlball
    • Skylon
    • Southern Culture on the Skids
    • Spanish Gold
    • Ronnie Spektor & EStreet Band
    • Strangers
    • Harry Dean Stanton
    • Sunrays
    • Theivery Corp
    • Chad VanValgatten
    • Veviter
    • Mike Watt
    • Wild Feathers
    • Zappa
    • ZTT 7" box set

10" singles:

• Adventure Club
    • Black Angels
    • Crosses (Yellow)
    • Cut Copy
    • Garbage
    • Kitchens of Distinction
    • Charles Lloyd
    • Machine Head
    • Wes Montgomery (both releases)
    • Ramones
    • Set Your Goals
    • Street Dogs
    • Tears for Fears
    • Butch Walker
    • Hank Williams
    12"/LPs

• 311 s/t
    • 311 Evolver
    • A Minor Forest
    • Atmosphere
    • Aerosmith Rocks
    • Aerosmith Rock in a Hard Place
    • Aerosmith Night on the Rocks
    • Aerosmith Draw the Line
    • Allman Brothers Live
    • Albert Ammons
    • August Burns Red Thrill Seeker
    • Battery Whatever it Takes
    • Beltones
    • Idle Race--The Birthday Party
    • Black Heart Procession
    • Black Prarie
    • Blue Rodeo
    • Bowie Lullaby
    • Breadwinner
    • Hollis Brown
    • Buried Alive
    • Cartel
    • Nick Cave Warren Ellis West of Memphis OST
    • Childish Gambino
    • Eric Church
    • Dillard Chandler
    • Courtyard Hounds
    • Cults
    • Devo Butch Cassidy
    • Earth Crisis
    • Ramblin Jack Elliott
    • Caro Emerald
    • Every Brothers (both releases)
    • Fishbone
    • Flaming Lips
    • Faux Real
    • Flaming Lips
    • Flesh Eaters
    • Forbidden Planet
    • Norman Greenbaum
    • Haim
    • Grant Hart
    • Oliver Hart
    • Donny Hathaway
    • Jimi Hendrix
    • Ice-T
    • Insprial Carpets
    • Rick James
    • Shooter Jennings
    • Joan Jett
    • Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
    • Joy Division
    • Jungle Rot
    • Karma to Burn
    • Jorma
    • Wayne Kramer
    • Meade Lux
    • Live at HIgh Fidelity
    • Man Man
    • Dean Martin
    • MGMT (both releases)
    • Jenks/Toth
    • Motorhead
    • Mark Mulcahy
    • Muppet Movie
    • NAWA
    • Randy Newman
    • Notwist
    • Oasis
    • Oi! Punk Comp
    • Opeth
    • Outkast
    • Pagans
    • Gram Parsons
    • Jaco Pastoris
    • Phosphoresent
    • Pink Skull
    • Rot in Hell
    • Rough Guides (all 4)
    • Bobby Rush
    • Runts
    • Saturday Looks Good (both releases)
    • Free Angela
    • Semi Precious Weapons
    • Scentists
    • Sense Field
    • Slipknot
    • J. Spaceman
    • Spoon
    • Strife
    • Pissed Jeans at BBC
    • Teenage Filmstars
    • The The
    • Big Mama Thorton
    • Tim Timbomb
    • Toxic Reason
    • Type O Negative
    • Hillsong United
    • Whirlwind Heat
    • Johnny Winter
    • Yardbirds
    Hope you can get some of these at cost!

18. ChaosOfMemories

ChaosOfMemories Active Member

Folks in Toronto (there seem to be a few)

1) Good Music has a good supply of titles available, including both Yardbirds, Dead, Built to Spill, Notorious BIG and a number of other items.
    2) Rotate This has an enormous amount of RSD stuff left, including a number of copies of LCD Soundsystem at 109 Canadian (under 100 US - tempting to me merely at that price, but I'm not a huge fan or an ebay flipper and don't sell RSD stuff when I do record shows), at least 10 or 11 of the Dead, Flaming Lips, both MGMT and even a number of the rarer items - I found Bob Wills. They probably still have more RSD stock left than some stores got in the first place.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  19. FulhamTarheel

FulhamTarheel Forum Resident

That nearly happened to me the RSD that Phish's Junta came out. Everyone wanted the two Pollock's that were at the store. Everyone rushed the shelf and I got knocked into it. I couldn't have cared less for it, but boy, that one was insanity. Still got the Steven Wilson record I wanted so badly though. :)

auburn278 likes this.
  20. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Went back for one specific Item today and Found it!! The Bob Wills 12" on red vinyl, so happy!! It's great by the way, sound is top drawer.

For what it's worth they had one more left at Music Millinium in Portland if you are looking.

Chris Bernhardt and slstokes2216 like this.
  21. auburn278

auburn278 Forum Resident

I'm glad you got what you wanted. :) I eventually got the International Submarine Band mono that I wanted. It took 3 years, but I finally found it on eBay for a reasonable price.

PennyLanes likes this.
  22. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Hip hop as a whole has been pretty much dead on vinyl for the last ten years or so,and is one of the genres that the current vinyl boom has completely passed by.

roggae likes this.
  23. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Great. I spoke with Chris yesterday as well. Thanked him for bring Mike Mills and all the acts at all the locations.

Rocketdog likes this.
  24. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Not completely dead but certainly could use a few more titles, that's for sure. Some of the bigger names have had releases / reissues in years past - ie. Jay-Z, Kanye West, Run DMC, WC, NAS, Wu-Tang Clan, and NWA all come to mind. Plus the Public Enemy 25th Anniversary boxed set from last year.

Would love to see more! :)

NapalmBrain likes this.
  25. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Got many on my list so the ebay search begins soon for the remainder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.