Mad Max, l, II, III, love, hate, don't care?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GuildX700, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Exactly!

GuildX700 likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Love them and anything else Mel Gibson is in...

GuildX700 likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Liked the first one, really enjoyed the second one, avoided the third.

GuildX700 likes this.
  4. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I really liked the first one. Great eye-for-eye vengeance film.

musicalbeds and GuildX700 like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I - LOVE
    II - LOVE SLIGHTLY EVEN MORE
    III - LIKED BETTER WHEN I WAS WIDDLE. NOW AS ADULT, JUST GOOD.

GuildX700 likes this.
  6. Michael

I loved the Beatles when I was widdle...still do...I guess I'm still widdle at heart.

7. Michael

so, you did not see it? avoided it... why?

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Looked like a piece of crap from the trailers, and the reviewers trashed it.

progrocker71 likes this.
  9. Michael

WOW! I'd rather make my own decision if I like a movie or not...both stated reasons are not enough to sway me away from a movie...

10. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Forum Resident

Never liked I. Love II and always will. Loved the III as well but haven't seen it since I was 11 or 12 when it first came to video. I will have to see if it's aged well for my tastes.

11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

III is a very odd one, it can easily turn one off if you're not into the spirit of it. I'm still not 100% sold myself. Another viewing or 2 now that I have the blu ray will probably settle my mind on it.

12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I remember really liking III, but it was the only one I ever saw in the theater and I was only a teen at the time. The first two were home video staples for most of the 1980s. I probably saw those a dozen times, each.

13. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

I is a low budget picture. You can't get over that fact. But is is incredible for what they had, and as more time goes by the more I love it and find it an incredibly engaging action picture. The Austalian mono is a must, the English dub is godawful.
    The Road Warrior is a classic, a Western of sorts, a brutal action picture, unrelenting and unforgettable. I just wish they hadn't lost the original baked color timing for the BD, where the wastelands are now blue skies and bright.
    Thunderdome I saw as a kid on cable and thought.."this is Mad Max?". A few years ago I resolved to try again and found that it's not a bad film, just severely misguided and under baked. It also seems to give up halfway through. Which actually it did. Director George Miller's partner and good friend Byron Kennedy died during production, and Miller became so distraught and disinterested that he essentially handed over the reigns to another. The story goes in more of an out and out sci-fi direction, which isn't a bad thing...but it can drag if not done properly...and this movie does drag.

The first two are classics in my book, the third is merely okay with some very bland bits. I really don't care to know about the fourth film, not only do I not care to see a modernized Max, but the role is so iconic that without Mel it doesn't work.

The BD tin is nice, but I already had the first film separately. The nice thing is that WB upgraded the Road Warrior disc to have lossless audio. But no change to the color sadly...which is odd because Thunderdome has the drenched desert color hues it always did.

musicalbeds and GuildX700 like this.
  14. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

When Mad Max was on VHS in america it only had the English Dub which made the film look like a bruce lee movie.
    When it came to dvd you could choose between the australian original dialogue or the english dub.
    The Australian dialogue made the film much better.
    The Road Warrior is a classic.

GuildX700 likes this.
  15. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Mad Max -- low budget, gritty, violent, bleak ("The chain in those handcuffs is high-tensile steel. It'd take you ten minutes to hack through it with this. Now, if you're lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes. Go").

Max Max II -- loved it as a lad, basically a western ("you wanna get out of here ... you talk to me"), gets a bit hammy in places, but some good set pieces. Minimal dialogue from Mel Gibson (something like 16 or 18 lines in total, IIRC).

Mad Max III: Beyond Thunderdome -- what started out as a little vengeance movie turns into overblown sci-fi schlock, with an ending (IIRC) that's a duplicate of the previous movie. Pffft.

--Geoff

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    GuildX700 likes this.
  16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved Road Warrior. Mad Max was ok and I really didn't like Thunderdome...

GuildX700 likes this.
  17. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

The kids of Thunderdome were like the Ewoks in Jedi. I enjoy it but it could have been better.

18. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Agreed. I remember Wez creeped the hell out of me when I first saw the film as a kid.
    [​IMG]

GuildX700 likes this.
  19. Daniel Plainview

Yeah, the DVD was a real revelation. All those years hearing The Toe-Cutter as some crazy, gruff maniac while the original Australian actor gave the character a softer, almost seductive quality. Now when I listen to the American dub it sounds hilarious.

GuildX700 likes this.
  20. Daniel Plainview

Great analogy. Spot on.

21. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

ROAD WARRIOR is a great standalone piece of sci-fi. It's also tightly edited without a wasted moment or scene. I thought THUNDERDOME was the commercialized, Spielberg-ian follow-up with a terrific premise that wasn't fully realized. MAD MAX was a nicely strange but slight piece of pulp work.

I often opine that ROAD WARRIOR and BLADE RUNNER were the one-two punch that determined how all sci-fi (and a good chunk of MTV) was going to look for the next couple decades: a de-populated, post-apocalyptic wilderness living off the scraps of our world, or a globalized, overcrowded urban dystopia.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    Mark Nelson and GuildX700 like this.
  22. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

It's worth it, if only for Tina Turner's character. Apparently when the producers envisioned the role, they kept referring to the character as a "tough Tina Turner type." Eventually, someone had the bright idea of asking Tina Turner if she'd do it!

Vidiot and GuildX700 like this.
  23. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

As much as people complain about Tina Turner I thought she was great in the movie. It started out great. The whole Thunderdome idea was cool. But once he got banished and the children found him it wasn't as enjoyable. It picked up at the end with the token Mad Max chase scene. But there was too much in the middle that didn't sit well.

The Road Warrior is my favorite with Mad Max and then Thunderdome.

This new one with Hardy is supposed to be the beginning of a new trilogy apparently. Which, the way things have going, should see part 3 released in 2054.

GuildX700 likes this.
  24. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

A friend in college had a movie where, in the post apocalyptic future, virile men were an extreme scarcity, and Amazon women would kidnap those that existed and enslave them for breeding. Our hero was a prodigiously virile specimen. It was called The Load Warrior.

25. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

`The Road Warrior' is a masterpiece, `Thunderdome' I love and the first
    one I've never even been able to get all the way through.....

GuildX700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.