Oasis - Definitely Maybe deluxe reissues announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Jay, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

Sounds good to me.... definitely more bottom end than the original. Proof will be in the pudding when the album comes out. What TT did you use to capture?

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  2. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I don't like the sound

Too brittle, fatiguing. Highs seem really jacked up. Mids too :shake:

If the vinyl sounds like that, I don't want to imagine how the CDs will :cry:

Selteab likes this.
  3. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

It's a vinyl rip done with unknown equipment or software, which was then uploaded on a video streaming service known for its low-bitrate audio quality.

I appreciate someone going to the trouble of doing it, but feel it to be indicative of almost nothing...

MarkO likes this.
  4. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

There's definitely some quality loss on the Youtube version, but my FLAC rip sounds almost exactly how the record sounds.

David Jay and ponkine like this.
  5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

May you upload a sample?

Thanks! :wave:

6. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Here you go. You'll need a FLAC player. (VLC works I think)

David Jay and darrenbailey like this.
  7. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

I must have a bad copy then...glad to hear that it sounds better on other copies. It's still too loud,but the "noise" on my copy doesn't seem to be evident on these examples.

8. tightplatonic

tightplatonic Forum Resident

i got the supersonic single, definitely more bass low end coming through, better clarity on the bass drum/bass guitar/low end of the guitar which is nice. The highs feel a bit smoother on the cymbals but still with good clarity, however and perhaps as a result, some of the guitar solos and a touch of Liams voice have a little less of that searing through/cutting through feeling (harshness?) that I guess I've become accustomed to as a part of their sound

9. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Which is a good thing, because the dynamic range now appears to be pitiful in comparison to the original UK single (vinyl or cd).

The result is a complete nullification of Owen Morris' description of the new mastering work that was said to be happening.

Oasis may be no more, but Noel (and, maybe, Liam) must either still have final approval on releases, or were simply consulted out of courtesy.

Either way, we lost (again).

Album companions to the dreadful sounding 'Stop The Clocks'/'Time Flies'/etc, except with more pleasing EQ changes.

I guess they don't pay as close attention to the Beatles as they used to? Otherwise, they would have known that this mastering style is on the way out for "legacy" acts...

darrenbailey likes this.
  10. Here's the waveform on Amnesiac's Supersonic RSD vinyl rip FLAC. *sigh*

[​IMG]

11. SKOIDEK

SKOIDEK New Member

Amnesiac, are you sure you didn't just record it at a loud volume?

Vinyl rips shouldn't be this loud...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  12. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure I didn't. Take Me Away doesn't sound loud. I'll double check when I get home.

David Jay likes this.
  13. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

I love Take Me Away - especially that closing guitar bit after Noel's final "need a line".

Peachy likes this.
  14. David Jay

David Jay Forum Resident Thread Starter

Huge thanks for providing a sample of the remastered audio, it's much appreciated. Also thanks for checking the recording chain... just a suggestion here, but it might be that some limiting was added automatically during the transfer, as a vinyl waveform doesn't usually look as flat-topped as the loudest sections in Supersonic appear to be - I know some of the software available for digitizing vinyl does add limiting automatically, so it might be worth checking if possible. Many thanks for this.

(I would help out on these comparisons myself, but unfortunately I don't have either the vinyl or a turntable set up for this purpose at the moment. So all the info here from people who do is very much appreciated).

darrenbailey likes this.
  15. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Damn! You just saved me a bunch of money!

scobb likes this.
  16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

That vinyl sample has DR4 :shake:

:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

17. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

OK guys, I have a confession. I just tried recording it again, and I was able to adjust the input volume and now the rip looks much less louder. However, I don't know how I am supposed to get the "raw volume" of the vinyl? The more input volume, the more brickwalled it becomes. What setting should it be at? Sorry for the inconvenience.

18. SKOIDEK

SKOIDEK New Member

Just record at a volume where you get around 2dB of headroom from the track, and then normalize it to -0.1dB once it is done recording.

That should be pretty close to the raw volume. :p

19. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

That's exactly why judging remasters by a wave form of a vinyl rip isn't really a good idea. No offense to Amnesiac though.

20. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

Who would have thought they tuned Liam's vocals as early as Definitely Maybe? The tracking sheet says so, even the doubletrack.

21. David Jay

David Jay Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, although from what Owen Morris has said in various interviews it was only for slight, subtle corrections here and there. Great end result. And with Definitely Maybe they took the time to re-record a lot of Liam's vocals in a studio called The Windings... there's some detail on this in the quote below. Hope this may be of interest.

‘The actual set-up was pretty much the same for each track. In Loco there was an Amek Mozart and I hired in an Excel compressor and Mini Moog, which we used as a crude filter circuit. It takes off all the top so you just end up with a really fat bass sound. I used an A3 for a Leslie effect and a Lexicon to pitch change and basically ****-loads of compression on everything. The only real effects are imaging programs, stereo shifters and stuff to spread the guitars out. I ended up using a DSP 4000 on the vocals, and it sounded ****in’ amazing. Myself and Liam actually took a weekend to re-do the vocals on five tracks – Cigarettes & Alcohol, Bring It On Down, Up in the Sky and a couple of others, using an old pencil-thin AKG that was apparently used on Sergeant Pepper. That mic was perfect because it had natural compression. His voice went flat to tape through the DBX 160. On Liam’s voice I put a little bit of anything that happened to be hanging about. There was very little EQing, though, except when I used the DSP 4000, because the anti-glitch program dulls the sound.’ (Owen Morris, quoted in Melody Maker, 1/10/94)
    Some more info on this here: http://www.oasis-recordinginfo.co.uk/?page_id=289

Bonehead on the DM recording sessions (quoted from twitter)
    On Cigarettes & Alcohol...
    "1 of Liam's best vocals. Recorded them in North Wales with Owen, Noel & Me ordered out while he recorded them, candles everywhere. Hippies. The studio was called the windings."

Owen Morris on the Morning Glory recording session at Rockfield
    "First we got the drums and bass down by about midday or one o'clock,” Owen Morris recalls. "Then Noel overdubbed three acoustic guitar parts, after which Liam quickly did four takes of the lead vocal for me to compile. I used the Eventide DSP4000 pitch quantiser on his voice. If he was out on any lines, I'd just pull him in slightly, and everyone seemed happy with that. Having used it on Definitely Maybe, I used it on Morning Glory as well. Liam sang really well whenever I recorded him and his voice was very open. So he was doing takes very confidently and very quickly. He was so easy to record and Noel absolutely loved his performance on 'Wonderwall'.
    (Owen Morris, quoted from Sound on Sound - Classic Tracks: Wonderwall)

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov12/articles/classic-tracks-1112.htm

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Yorick likes this.
  22. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Man I always thought Champagne Supernova sounded tuned. I guess it was.

Yorick likes this.
  23. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I wonder if Morning Glory and Be Here Now are still coming later this year.
    There's a lot of focus on this upcoming release.

24. I'd agree with this. I liked the sound.

25. SKOIDEK

SKOIDEK New Member

I read somewhere that they'll be coming arriving later this year.

I'm actually really excited to hear WTSMG Remastered because I know it will almost definitely sound better than the original. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've heard the original version of WTSMG was exported in 22,050 Hz which is why it sounded so bad, and also the extreme amount of compression used (I'm looking at you, Champagne Supernova).

Is this all true?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.