DSD: how to spilt into tracks?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Greetings. I am going to be getting a friends original DSD recording, about 30 minutes long. I need to split the file into multiple tracks.

Any free utilities available?

Thanks in advance.

2. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

I'd like to know also, Audacity is a great program for editing but im not sure if it supports DSD

3. ServingTheMusic

I use Audacity extensively. No DSD support...yet..as far I as I know.

HAmmer likes this.
  4. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Free utilities for DSD are non existent as far as I know. I can load a DSD file into my Korg 2000s and edit a play list, but outside of that. I think your resources are limited.

5. ServingTheMusic

Thanks. I might have to purchase something like vinylstudio. Only 30 bucks.

Doctorcilantro likes this.
  6. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Will Korg Audiogate work?

7. ServingTheMusic

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. I thought it could do file conversions. I have limited experience with it.

8. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Audiogate is used to convert DSD into other formats , .wav, etc.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Convert it to PCM high-res, and then you can edit it in any digital audio workstation. I'm not convinced it makes a difference provided you have very good A/D converters.

10. Doctorcilantro

Doctorcilantro Forum Resident

Did you try VinylStudio if it was recorded with DoP? That will let you split and save out with no changes. But not free.

11. ServingTheMusic

No, that would not be acceptable. Going from DSD to PCM and back to DSD would defeat the purpose of using DSD. One might a
    well record in high sample rate PCM and be done with it.

12. ServingTheMusic

Not yet, I am getting the file in a few days. I downloaded the demo version. You can import DSD files as well as make recordings. $30 for the full version, which is not bad if it works well.

13. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

JRiver media center will convert DSD to 352kHz PCM. This is how I was able to get DSD onto my iPod (after a downsample to 44.1kHz/16 bits of course).

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Sonoma Workstation for that job.

15. ServingTheMusic

I'm sure. Not in the cards. $$$$$

16. Ulli

Ulli Forum Resident

AudioGate can indeed divide and combine DSD files. To divide a file, place the track marker at the desired position and hit the DIVIDE button. The two parts will appear in the track window and can be separately saved as DSDIFF files. If you want to divide a file into more than two parts, I'm afraid you will have to repeat this procedure several times.

17. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

In addition to converting formats, Korg's Audiogate software will split tracks in native DSD format. It will also allow you to adjust levels and fade in/fade out at start/end of tracks all in native format.

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Then looks like AudioGate from Korg for the job.

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, one wonders why one doesn't just do that in the first place. I still say both SACD and DSD are dead formats.

20. ServingTheMusic

I would have to disagree with that.

21. ServingTheMusic

Thanks for the tip.

22. ServingTheMusic

Cool. I am going to mess around with it tonight.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Dead as a consumer product. From Wikipedia:

Having made little impact in the consumer audio market, by 2007 SACD was deemed to be a failure by the press. A small market for SACD has remained, serving the audiophile community.

That I would agree with, that it's essentially been dead since 2007. Bear in mind I invested thousands and thousands of dollars in SACD from 1999 on, I was there at the very first SACD press conference, and I knew even then this was doomed to be a niche market at best. They could continue making 78RPM shellac records, too, and that would also be a dead product without a real mass-market audience.

24. ServingTheMusic

If you are judging by mass market success, then of course it is an utter failure,just as DVD-a was.

Heck, by these standards, lossless downloads are a total failure, and discussing higher than CD resolution downloads is a total joke.

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Too early to say for high-res downloads yet. I'm a fan of the concept; the question as to whether the execution will pay off or not. I'm waiting to see what Apple does in June. Pricing and convenience will be critical factors.

As I've said many times, I see no downside to high-res downloads: they can play on any modern operating system, it's more money for the record label, more money for the artist, and higher quality for audiophiles. It doesn't require a special player, and you can back them up to any hard drive in a few minutes. All these things are good.

Physical media is tanking. I think the failures of HD-DVD, SACD, MiniDisc, and DVD-A are all closely related, and a relative success like Blu-ray is only barely hanging on in terms of sales. There have been some interesting essays explaining why these formats failed:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/27/AR2008022703432.html

http://www.cnet.com/news/betamax-to-blu-ray-sony-format-winners-losers/

http://www.digitaltrends.com/opinion/are-dvd-audio-and-sacd-doa/#!E7iS1

http://www.avrev.com/news/1006/19.tower.shtml

I think a lot of it boils down to several factors:

1) there's very few stores left that sell new physical media. Tower Records... gone. Virgin Records... gone. Borders... gone. Circuit City... gone. And the number of shelves devoted to music at Best Buy, Walmart, and Costco has become vanishingly small. All of this happened in the last 10 years, but it's fair to say the seeds were planted several years before that.

2) the economy sucks. The amount of disposable income average people have to spend on luxuries is far less than it was 10 years ago. And I think their free options for music (Pandora, Rhapsody, iTunes Radio, Last.FM, Spotify) have never been greater.

3) I think there's a very real paradigm shift away from physical media in all forms. The collapse of Kodak and film labs, the closing of thousands of book stores, hundreds of newsstand magazines folding... all of these are signs of a greater force going on beyond just audio. I think the mass market wants digital files and instant gratification when they buy them. You can't get that from a brick-and-mortar store.

4) DSD was a dud in recording studios, because nobody was willing to invest in (expensive) proprietary hardware, limited software choices, and peculiar limitations. From my observation, I don't think recording in 192kHz/24-bit PCM has any compromises; the guys at most mastering facilities around the world -- including Abbey Road -- seem to agree.

Do a Google search on "Why Did SACD Fail," and you'll get about 43,000 hits. I think a lot of those are a little specious, but I saw a half-dozen essays that were pretty well-written and presented some good facts.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.