Pink Floyd Animals tour(1977): Gilmour or White?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eric Weinraub, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a ton of great shows from the 1977 Animals tour. There are several tracks, such as Shine On... VI-IX that feature extended guitar solos.... I've always wondered if they shared the solos or was one person the predomiant soloist over the other? Several of the solos really sound more like Snowy than David.

hi_watt likes this.
  2. C. Cushman

C. Cushman Forum Resident

I think they traded often on Have a Cigar and Snowy played a solo on one part of "Shine on-" but he mostly stayed behind the scenes and even played bass for extended periods with Waters on rhythm guitar.

3. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident

The lineups for each song on the tour:

1. Sheep:
    David Gilmour - lead guitar
    Roger Waters - rhythm guitar, vocals
    Richard Wright - keyboards
    Nick Mason - drums
    Snowy White - bass

2. Pigs On The Wing (Part One):
    Roger Waters - acoustic guitar, vocals
    Richard Wright - Hammond organ

3. Dogs:
    David Gilmour - lead guitar, lead and backing vocals
    Roger Waters - bass, backing and lead vocals
    Nick Mason - drums
    Snowy White - rhythm guitar (plus harmonized leads)

4. Pigs On The Wing (Part Two):
    David Gilmour - rhythm guitar
    Nick Mason - drums
    Snowy White - lead guitar

5. Pigs (Three Different Ones):
    Roger Waters - rhythm guitar, vocals
    David Gilmour - rhythm guitar
    Nick Mason - drums
    Snowy White - rhythm guitar (plus harmonized leads)

6. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V):
    David Gilmour - lead guitar, backing vocals
    Roger Waters - bass, lead vocals
    Nick Mason - drums
    Snowy White - rhythm guitar

7. Welcome To The Machine:
    David Gilmour - rhythm guitar, vocals
    Nick Mason - drums
    Snowy White - bass

9. Have A Cigar:
    David Gilmour - rhythm guitar, backing vocals
    Nick Mason - drums

10. Wish You Were Here:
    David Gilmour - lead guitar, lead vocals
    Roger Waters - bass, backing vocals
    Nick Mason - drums

11. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-IX):
    David Gilmour - lead guitar, lap steel guitar, backing vocals
    Nick Mason - drums
    Snowy White - lead guitar (trading off solos with DG)

encores (varied from show to show):

12. Money
    Roger Waters - bass
    Nick Mason - drums

13. Us And Them:
    Roger Waters - bass
    Richard Wright - keyboards, backing vocals
    Nick Mason - drums

14. Careful With That Axe Eugene:
    David Gilmour - lead guitar
    Roger Waters - bass, vocals
    Nick Mason - drums

15. Blues:
    Roger Waters - bass
    Nick Mason - drums
    (David Gilmour did not play on this song)

jay.dee, mickey g, Pete Puma and 6 others like this.
  4. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

No bass player on three different ones?

Dreams266 and hi_watt like this.
  5. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident

Oops! That would be Roger on rhythm and Snowy on bass :)

Keith V and hi_watt like this.
  6. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

In my opinion, Gilmour played some of the best scorching solos on these gigs, especially on Dogs. The Fort Worth show most definitely

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  7. Stuevts

Stuevts Not drinking the kool-aid

Gilmour has an awsome solo at the end of Shine On VI-IX on the Montreal show after being all over the place.

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Thanks. It's a great list. I appreciate it

9. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

snowy plays lead in have a cigar
    and yes he and dave traded solos in soycd part8...and in part9 in the form of double crying guitars almost like the dogs crying double guitars.
    in the beginning of the 77 tour it was just dave and there was no crying guitar bit at the end of soycdpt9...the improvisings were added later in the tour.

hi_watt likes this.
  10. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident

Quite correct. Those crying guitars in SOYCD Part 9 are just heartbeaking. The guitar duels in Part 8 came to a head late in the tour. The band were more or less consistently on fire on the 1977 tour. It's a tragedy that we do not have a single complete soundboard tape, let alone an official release.

DG's solo on Dogs with the modded Telecaster (with humbuckers)...wow.

11. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

Where could one get these live recordings?!

12. Stuevts

hi_watt likes this.
  13. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Forum Resident

Love that show. I know the 5/9/77 Oakland show gets all the props but I think the Forth Worth stands above all other 77 shows. The Forth Worth show is a pretty good audience recording even though it was recorded distant from the stage or so that's what I think.. Floyd must have had a pretty good sound system for those 77 outdoor stadium shows.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  14. Stuevts

Listening to the Fort Worth show right now. It is a great performance.

hi_watt likes this.
  15. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident

Basically the entire tour is out there to be heard...several shows are available on Youtube (audio only of course) :)

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  16. ALB123

ALB123 Forum Resident

I know that it's been pretty much universally acclaimed that Snowy White played bass guitar on Sheep and Pigs (3 Different Ones) during the In The Flesh 1977 tour of the United States (It was called the Animals Tour in Europe '77). It's 100% fact that Gilmour handled the fretless bass work on the Animals album and I believe Gilmour even did the regular bass work on Sheep while Roger Waters played a Stratocaster as a rhythm guitar. However, live music often doesn't recreate the studio recording 100%, especially with complex, layered material like what Pink Floyd produces. In the 80s and 90s they would take several extra musicians to help them create a more "album accurate" sound, but in 1977 they only had Snowy White and Dick Parry for Saxophone.

Anyway, the reason for my post is, I recently came across a video on YouTube of some extremely well-worn, who knows what generation, poorly recorded 8mm film of Pink Floyd performing during their In The Flesh tour in 1977. This particular video is only about 4 minutes of Sheep and Pigs (3 Different Ones), but you can clearly see Roger Waters is holding and playing his famous black Fender bass guitar while singing each song. The camera flashes back and forth between Waters and Gilmour and you'll see Snowy White between the two Floyd members, kind of standing back near the side of the drum kit riser.

So, did Roger Waters actually play bass guitar for these two songs during the live shows? This video, and there are other equally poor quality videos, I think, that show similar findings. I know the Wikipedia page for the tour lists Snowy as the bass player of both Sheep and Pigs (3 Different Ones), but I stopped trusting Wikipedia unequivocally long ago. I know there are plenty of Floyd lovers on this website. What do you guys think?

Oh, by the way, around the 3:25 mark of the video below is what I believe the only video evidence of Pink Floyd lighting one of their floating pigs on fire. Again, don't get your hopes up for quality, but it's all that exists, which is an absolute travesty and an entire topic for discussion another day.

ArpMoog and hi_watt like this.
  17. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Somewhere. Somehow. Multi-tracks of the '77 tour have to exist. My holy grail.

18. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

My guess it that it's some silent 8mm footage pasted onto the show's bootleg. The video cuts many times but the music goes on and it's not multi-cam so it could be filmed at any point during the show.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  19. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

I wouldn't count on it unfortunately. It's my holy grail too, even more so than a good 67 show with Syd.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  20. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

What do you consider you very best one? I have long sought the best version I could find, sonically and performance-wise. Best I've found is Oakland.

21. I've been watching a show on MTV Live called David Gilmour: Wider Horizons.

I saw and heard several cuts from his studio(s) that I had certainly never seen or heard before. Music from Joker's Wild and earlier. Syd Barrett stuff. Goofing off during production of early albums.

I hold out hope that one day, more Audio and Video will be released.

22. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

As with others in this thread, I'd have to give the edge to the Fort Worth show...by Floyd standards, it's probably the 'hardest rocking' they ever got. The recording is a little lacking in bass end, but that's easily fixed. I'll also give a shout out to the July 3 '77 New York show, if only for Waters' classic comments when the firecrackers start going off:laugh:

And it is interesting to see the progression of the songs throughout the tour- at the start of the tour "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" and "Shine On 6-9" are more representative of the studio versions...as the tour went on they improvs got longer.

hi_watt likes this.
  23. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Thank you. I saw the Cleveland show. They had a curfew so they had to start about 7pm. For about twenty minutes a small (Lear?) jet was doing lazy acrobatics over Lake Erie adjacent to the stadium. Eventually nearly the entire crowd was watching the aircraft when suddenly it looped and dove straight toward the stadium. He screamed toward us pulling up in plenty of time even though 83,000 people could swear they saw the whites of the pilots eyes. When the screaming and hubbub subsided the audience realized 'Floyd had taken the stage and begun playing in broad daylight - and virtually no one saw them come on.

willy, penguinzzz and hi_watt like this.
  24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

See, those are the kind of details you don't get simply based on hearing the audience recordings almost fourty years after the fact...

25. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Stuevts likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.