Carpenters Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Song4U, Feb 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

It should be mentioned here that "Those Good Old Dreams" original LP mix is somewhat difficult to find in the digital realm. The album mix had a synth part toward the end that Richard came to hate, so when it was prepared for single release, he changed it, toned it down. So now it's the single version that's appeared on every compilation and digital release of the album.

There are two places to find it - sort of. The UK version of YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, with all unaltered tracks, has it in full, however, that album on CD is quite hard to track down. You can also find this album version on the video soundtrack to GOLD (or YESTERDAY ONCE MORE), however there, the opening riff is repeated an extra couple of times to flow with the video, and it fades out a little sooner to accomplish a segue.

Harry

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Here is an interview from 1981 that goes "way off the chart" and looking back on it now, it really shows that Karen & Richard both, didn't want to face the truth about Karen's health. Truly sad ...

3. TimM

TimM Senior Member

Both of those videos are very difficult to watch. Their complete focus on their career at all costs is very sad.

4. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I actually remember seeing the Nationwide programme with that interview. Having not seen Karen for a few years, I was truly shocked by her appearance.

I'm sure Richard was as alarmed as the viewers (like me) who hadn't seen Karen for a while. He would have to support her in public, but behind the scenes he must have been in pieces.

5. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes...when I got my Gold DVD I extracted that audio of "Those Good Old Dreams" and labeled it (Video Edit)...sorta makes me feel like I have a new remix of this song. I like the extra intro.

6. Chris C

Just watched this rather rare video of The Carpenters old home in Downey, California (where Karen sadly died, while visiting her parents), just before it was sold. The home is supposedly still standing today, but the annex building where all of the awards, piano, recreation room, rehearsal studio and memorabilia were, along with the Japanese Gardens that the Carpenters put in there, have all been demolished.

I'm not sure if all of those record awards went with Richard or if they got sold, but, this video shows one hell of a great collection, whomever ended up with it?

7. Chris C

Here is another video of the house and studio, evidently after the new owners took it over and before they demolished the studio and the Japanese Garden out back, hence the awards and most of the memorabilia is now gone!

8. Chris C

Here is the backyard and Japanese garden, before it was all demolished ...

9. Chris C

Here is what now sits where the old studio/rec room and Japanese garden used to be ... (circa 2008)

10. Chris C

Sorry for all of the old house stuff, but since we are nearing the end of their catalog, I figured why not show a few clips of how they lived?

Now, back to the music and as a fan of jukeboxes myself, I'll provide the quarter ...

11. Song4U

Let's move on to the next official studio album....released 8 months after Karen Carpenter passed away.

Voice of the Heart (Oct 1983)

VOTH Front Cover.jpg VOTH Back Cover.JPG

Track Listing:

1. Now (Nichols/Pitchford)

2. Sailing On The Tide (Peluso/Bettis)

3. You're Enough (Carpenter/Bettis)

4. Make Believe It's Your First Time (Morrison/Wilson)

5. Two Lives (Jordan)

6. At The End Of A Song (Carpenter/Bettis)

7. Ordinary Fool (Williams)

8. Prime Time Love (Unobsky/Ironstone)

9. Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore (Weiss)

10. Look To Your Dreams (Carpenter/Bettis)

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I realize that Richard had little to work with, but damn. This is a terrible record. Boring and sleep inducing. The best thing about this album is the portrait of Karen on the cover. With the pic of Richard on the back cover looking absolutely lost, the entire project is one big heartbreak.

13. Bobby Morrow

I always think of this as the 'death' album... It was released 8 months after Karen died. Richard came over to the UK to promote it and talk about his sister. Some very moving interviews.. 'Make Believe It's Your First Time' was the single. Classic Carpenters balladry. It's interesting to note the difference from Richard's kitchen-sink production to the bare-bones approach favoured by Phil Ramone on Karens' solo album.. Like a different song.

As with MIA, Richard's production is far too fussy and glossy. Songs outstay their natural lifespan and are reluctant to end when they do! Karen sounds wonderful throughout. The quality of the material is patchy. I do wonder why Richard didn't choose songs from the MIA sessions, like 'The Uninvited Guest', rather than stuff like 'Prime Time Love'... Would have made for a better album, I think. As a Carpenters album, it's not amongst my favourites, but I do play it now and then. Had Karen lived, it would have been interesting to see what this follow up to MIA would have become. It didn't sound like they were trying to update their sound any..

When Karen died, it wasn't the massive news event Elvis or Lennon's had been. I don't think her loss was felt for quite some time. VOTH didn't chart well and it seemed like people were already forgetting her. However, they would have huge success with various comps, especially in the UK, over the next few years.

VOTH is good then, but not a world beater. Best tracks; 'You'. 'Two Lives'. 'Sailing On The Tide'. 'At The End Of A Song'. 'Ordinary Fool'.

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  14. Song4U

"Voice of the Heart" remains one of my favorite albums of the Carpenters. It's always been intriguing to me that Richard decided to use one of her solo photos for the album cover. This was after all a Carpenters album and all previous Carpenters albums had either both of them shown or a non photo of the duo and here we have Karen center stage like he was saying this is Karen's album when really the material is from the duo. The New York Times ran an article about her solo album called Karen's Second Life back in Oct 1996 and in that article it says Karen chose the white sweatshirt shot for the cover. I have always wondered if it was this particular shot. In any case it's a lovely photo and was a perfect eye catcher in record stores.

Now is the perfect song to show Karen still had her singing abilities even toward the end of her life...so much emotion in how she sings the lyrics. I have always been a huge fan of the lesser known track, "At The End Of A Song" it has rarely made it to many compilations, such a soft song that even on the best vinyl it usually picks up some surface noise. I really enjoy listening to this on CD with headphones...it's like Karen taking you on a journey...on some days out of the blue, the lyric will play in my head...At The End Of A Song, there's no one, after the last note is played, only the memory stays and even that fades away...man...I loved those lyrics.

"Make Believe It's Your First Time" I like this version but I really prefer her solo album version which is so much more intimate. "You're Enough" and "Ordinary Fool" are classic Karen tracks that are winners on the album, it's like Karen is singing them just for you...she is up front and right in the pocket....talk about a surreal experience...close your eyes, put your headphones on, block out the world and cue up Ordinary Fool...it doesn't get any more intimate than this, Karen had the perfect voice.

"Your Baby Doesn't Love You Anymore" is a great track showing why I feel in love with their music and harmonies. I think the real gem is the closing track, "Look To Your Dreams" here we have Karen closing the album with almost a sorta farewell...saying that when the world gets too much for you...."it's asking for trouble just watching the 6:00 o'clock news" boy still true today...Karen tells us that your dreams are still important and yes maybe they are out of style but no matter how bad life may get...there is still hope...Look To Your Dreams and tomorrow may be better for you and me...What a perfect song to close out the album and for me leaves a lasting impression.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Trying to play catch-up on this thread.
    I believe they called the radio program 'It's a Christmas portrait now'.

Darryl

alexpop likes this.
  16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

The real standout for me on the MIA album was 'I Believe You'.
    'BEechwood 4-5789' sounds like a 'Now & Then' leftover.

Darryl

alexpop likes this.
  17. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

For VOTH, I really love the song 'Now'.
    I get excited when I see the song on a comp.

Darryl

18. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Voice Of The Heart just lies there for me. Some pleasant tunes but easy to see why they were excluded from their respective album sessions. Now, Make Believe Its Your First Time, and Ordinary Fool are the standouts.

mosogotamravip likes this.
  19. Song4U

We seem to be losing our Carpenters readers/posters....well only 3 more albums left so let's move on....
    I'll post the next 2 rather quickly since I'm sure we won't get much response on the last Christmas album.

An Old-Fashioned Christmas (1984)

An Old Fashioned Christmas Front.jpg

Track Listing:

1. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear (Sears/Willis)

2. Overture

3. An Old-Fashioned Christmas (Carpenter/Bettis)

4. O Holy Night (P.D. Adolphe Adam/Adapted by Richard Carpenter)

5. (There’s No Place Like) Home For The Holidays (Allen/Stillman)

6. Medley

7. Little Altar Boy (Smith)

8. Do You Hear What I Hear?(Regney/Shayne)

9. My Favorite Things (Rodgers/Hammerstein)

10. He Came Here For Me (Nelson)

11. Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town (Gillespie/Coots)

12. What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve? (Loesser)

13. Selections from “The Nutcracker” (P.D. Peter Illych Tchaikovsky, Adapted by Richard Carpenter)

14. I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day (Marks/Longfellow, Adapted by Johnny Marks)

20. Song4U

The LAST Carpenters Album to appear on vinyl!!!!

Lovelines (1989)

Lovelines Front.jpg Lovelines LP Back.JPG

Track Listing:

1. Lovelines (Temperton)

2. Where Do I Go From Here? (McGee)

3. The Uninvited Guest (Kaye/Tweel)

4. If We Try (Temperton)

5. When I Fall In Love (Heyman/Young)

6. Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night (Lawley/Dorn)

7. Remember When Lovin' Took All Night (Farrar/Leikin)

8. You're The One (Ferguson)

9. Honolulu City Lights (Beamer)

10. Slow Dance (Margo)

11. If I Had You (Dorff /Harju/Herbstritt)

12. Little Girl Blue (Rodgers/Hart)

MusicMan2020 likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

Only had this one as part of the 'Christmas Portrait' CD in 1988. TBH, I haven't played it for the longest time.. I remember it being very over-produced and 'choiry'. I don't know if this was because Karen had died before the project was completed, but she seems to be missing a fair bit here.. I do recall Richard saying in an interview that 'Little Altar Boy' contained his favourite Karen vocal ever. Not sure if it was released in the UK.. Don't remember seeing it in the shops...

22. Bobby Morrow

'Lovelines' is an album that has grown on me over the years. Initially, it's main pull was the inclusion of 4 tracks from Karen's (then) unreleased solo album. These were slightly remixed by Richard. 2 further tracks were included in 'The Karen Carpenter Story' TV movie that premiered that year.

I loved the John Farrar song, 'Remember When Lovin' Took All Night'. It's pure Olivia really! I can hear her singing it my head as I write! Wonder if ONJ did ever record it? One for the box set if so! Anyway, Karen (obviously) does a good job with the vocal, but it seems more suited for Olivia's range than hers. Another highlight is the beautiful 'The Uninvited Guest'. Heaven knows why this never made an official album...

'Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night' has that 'Made In America' glossy sound. It's a lovely song, but maybe it wasn't included on MIA because there are other songs on it similar in feel? Also, really like 'Honolulu City Nights' and 'Slow Dance'. Not sure where they originate from... Should have read the sleeve notes before I wrote this!

The standards 'Little Girl Blue' and 'When I Fall In Love' are performed simply but effectively by Karen. Were these from a TV show? Amazingly, given the Carpenters huge success in the UK, none of their American made TV specials were ever screened here. As far as I can recall, anyway.

The album doesn't flow as well as other Carpenters albums. The Phil Ramone tracks, although tweaked by Richard, lack the dense, sweetened production of the other songs. However, there are some great tracks here and Karen is in fine voice throughout. It was to be the last 'proper' Carpenters album. Other than the odd song (like 'Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again') that would pop up over the next few years.

A good album then, considering the circumstances. Nice sleeve artwork too. Never knew it had a vinyl release! Will have to seek that out.

MusicMan2020 likes this.
  23. Song4U

An Old Fashioned Christmas

I really like this album. I still think Christmas Portrait is my standard Carpenters Christmas album but this one is equally nice. The song from this album that sticks in my head is the title song.."An Old Fashioned Christmas" I really like Richard's vocals so warm and it really harks back for me to my younger Christmas family memories. So happy that Richard fixed the error and released "Do You Hear What I Hear?...Karen's vocals are so smooth on this track, like butter, something different about this track she sounds so good. "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" another stand out track, worth the price of the entire album. The entire album is really special for Carpenters fans. Richard said that if he knew it was going to be released as a budget album he never would of released it.

Lovelines

This has to be one of the best Carpenters albums released after Karen's passing. I really like this one. I have the LP (which I paid dearly for and that was years ago and I think the price is even higher now). The LP sounds really nice and is one of those translucent LP's. I love the cover shot used for the album and it's nice to see in LP format. I feel the material is really strong on this one and they were left over tracks. Richard teases us with some of Karen's solo tracks, doctored up to his approval. For Olivia fans...it is a nice treat to see Karen singing a John Farrar track. I think my favorite track off this album is, "You're The One" simply an amazing song, simple yet Karen delivers it like she is singing it just for you....put your headphones on and it's a surreal experience. This song gets so little attention but it's so powerful and it's not an easy song to sing yet Karen sings it so effortlessly. There is a guy on you tube who sings this song and he is the only guy I have ever heard sing it really really well, the arrangement is much like Carpenters, the guy's name is Eric Akif, search and you'll find it, worth you 4 mins.

I really like every single song off this album. This album almost made me feel like Karen never left and she was still here....then the music ends and I realize she is gone. This album gets high marks in my book.

MusicMan2020 likes this.
  24. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Lovelines is simply stunning. Love it from start to finish. Why gems like You're The One, Slow Dance, and Honolulu City Lights were passed over in favor of the weaker by comparison outtakes that made Voice Of The Heart still mystifies me. Even having a pair of standards on it from the TV Specials doesn't lessen the flow. I really enjoy the ending Richard created for If I Had You as well. Had this been released at the same time as the Karen Carpenter Story TV movie I think its sales would have been much stronger.

MusicMan2020 and mosogotamravip like this.
  25. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I purchased AN OLD FASHIONED CHRISTMAS the moment I saw it in stores. It was a welcome addition particularly for getting "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" on an LP, even though it was a remixed version. It took a little long at the start before we heard Karen, but it was worth the wait.

LOVELINES I first spotted in around Thankgiving weekend in 1989 in a record store in the Chicago suburbs. We were out there that weekend to tie the knot and went to the big Woodfield Mall on Black Friday just for fun. In a record store there, I was blown away by spotting LOVELINES in the Carpenters section. As we were due to leave from Chicago to go to our honeymoon cruise in the Caribbean, I didn't want to haul along a CD that I couldn't play, so I made a mental note to get it upon return to regular life a week or so later. And that's exactly what I did - the first Monday back at work in December had me going out at lunchtime to pick up LOVELINES. It was great fun listening to a totally new Carpenters album six years after Karen had left us.

I tried promoting the songs to our radio station program director but she wanted none of it. In fact, I later found a promotional copy of LOVELINES being used as a drink coaster on someone's desk! Aghast, I switched it out for another junk CD and cleaned it up for my collection, using a Xerox machine to copy the dark brown inserts. It's still there. The Promotional copy has a big "PROMOTIONAL" legend stamped within the disc artwork.

I also was lucky enough to find two vinyl copies of LOVELINES on a vinyl throwaway pile. I rescued those and kept them until I found someone who'd really appreciate having one of them and passed it along, keeping the other.

Harry

Bobby Morrow likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.