LF: small spring for multi-cd/dvd door, JCV bookshelf system (UX-G70)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rooster_Ties, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rooster_Ties

Rooster_Ties Senior Member Thread Starter

5-disc bookshelf system (bought circa 2007?), works perfectly fine, but the spring that auto-closes the outer door (that opens and closes when he disc drawers open and close) ----- that spring just broke.

I tried to jury-rig it with what was left of the spring (using some needle-nose pliers), but in doing so - the larger half I had to work with just broke again.

Any suggestions? I'm sure the part itself probably wouldn't be too expensive, but finding one (on-line) has been like a needle in a haystack.

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance!!!

It's a JVC UX-G70 (5-disc changer, cd/dvd), and I can fairly easily find a PDF of the original manual online, but it doesn't seem to mention anything about that spring (or at least not that it can tell).

Thanks again for any advice anyone might have.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Likely not easily available except from a parts donor.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Junk it and find something similar on eBay?

In truth, I don't think these little budget-priced desktop systems are made to last more than 5-6 years. Be glad you got seven out of it. BTW, I used to use a JVC at work in the 1990s, and I was floored at how good it sounded for $300-$400.

4. Rooster_Ties

The thing is, other than the door no longer automatically closing (and without the spring, it won't stay closed - even if you try to manually close it) -- the whole thing still works perfectly (just as well as the day I got it). A great little unit.

It's nothing fancy, sure, but the sound is good -- and I'm just sure any new (current) replacement I might try to find wouldn't be as good. I've never had anything fancy in terms of equipment (all my extra money goes into more music, rather than equipment), but this has actually been one of the best stereo purchases I ever made.

Worst case, I could try and remove the door completely (though I'm concerned I'd break it off in the process).

The spring is a about twice the diameter of a ballpoint pen spring, and it's designed to exert pressure in an "outward" direction, pushing the bottom of the door -- which (acting like a lever), then automatically closes the door when the CD/DVD trays retract.

If I could find any sort of spring of the right diameter (and with enough extra length), I think I could probably even rig it to replace the original (with a needle-nose pliers). As long as the wire wasn't brittle (and prone to breaking).

5. Rooster_Ties

Does RadioShack carry things like small springs? Maybe 20-25 years ago, they might have -- but now, I'm guessing probably not (or not a chance in hell, is more like it).

I don't even know what kind of brick-n-mortar store to go looking for, for something like this. Wouldn't have to necessarily be the exact same spring as the one that broke -- just a small (but not tiny) spring that I could modify with a pair of needle-nose pliers.

I think the diameter of the spring coils (of what broke) was about 1.5 mm, but I would guest as small as 1.25mm to maybe even 1.75mm (at most) could work.

6. Rooster_Ties

OK, *IF* I were to buy a brand new bookshelf system, I think I'd probably be looking for something that played multiple CD's (not so much concerned about DVD's) -- with "decent" but it wouldn't have to necessarily "spectacular" sound (confession: I'm no audiophile).

I mean, "really great" sound would be great, sure -- but I'm totally fine with just "good" sound -- and the reality is that I'm not willing to pay 2x-4x more for fantastically great sound. A remote control would be nice too, but something really simple would be just fine (the simpler the better; I don't need bells and whistles).
    Cost is a consideration -- so I'd like to keep it to around $500 (plus or minus $100).
    With CD's on their way out (at least among the under 35 crowd) -- what's even available at retail any more, in terms of simple, basic "bookshelf" systems?

(Part of me is temped just to carefully tear the door off the perfectly good JVC system I have -- and use it like that for another 5-10 years.)

7. Rooster_Ties

bump for the night crew...

8. Rooster_Ties

Bump for any other ideas. Thanks!

9. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

10. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

What does the spring look like? A retracting ballpoint pen may have a spring you could use

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.