Who still listens to AM radio?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by felix.scerri, Feb 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cymbaline

Cymbaline Shiny Dog

Talk radio, every day.

Doug G. likes this.
  2. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

IBOC is the work of the guy with the pitchfork as far as I am concerned.

Especially on AM it craps up the band horribly.

The smart thing to do would be to allocate new bandwidth and put in DAB or DRM.

Immediately on top of the FM BCB is the nav portion of the aeronautical service, in other words VHF Omni Range which is a WWII era service that should have been retired decades ago. ONE major market ad revenue for one year would buy every registered aircraft on the US civil register a GPS or inertial setup. That would be the way to go.

3. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I do not. I worked for a newstalk station as a board op for nearly 5 years, so I've heard enough of that to last me a lifetime.

4. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

I do, Coast to Coast AM almost every night. I sure miss Art Bell.

hidden1one, drgn95 and kevinsinnott like this.
  5. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

I still listen to AM quite often, both at home and in my truck, although less so since our local stations switched who broadcasts the Red Sox to FM. Once a month or so I'll flip through the dial late at night just to see what's out there. I'm entertained that I can get station from Chicago, Lexington, KY, Atlanta, St Louis. I love listening to some of the "crackpots" of talk radio, on both ends of the political spectrum.

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I'd never have seen the 'controversial' video for Kylie's Sexercise if it wasn't for AM radio :p

7. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

We had a slightly different pronunciation of that name. I will say C2C does have an interesting or legit guest once in a while but so much transparently nutty nonsense goes out over that network I hate to sift through the rubbish.

Same with Jeff Rense, he has some occasionally good stuff but the nonsense and twaddle swamp the raft.

8. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I listened to it this morning while trying to determine what the source of an audio problem was. My wife listens to WMCA regularly in the morning before she leaves for work. She gets upset when I come home early though because I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut when that station is on. I'm constantly pointing out the theological errors in what these clowns are peddling. She doesn't understand I'm only trying to help her!:love:

9. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Giants and 49ers, a few talk shows from San Francisco.

10. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

After being an FM radio listener for just about my entire adult life, I've gone back to listening to AM radio, for the past 2.5 years, almost exclusively.
    Albeit, for only ONE station. That station would be WMTR-AM 1250, my local oldies station, they're located in Morristown, NJ. ( actually they're really in Cedar Knowles).

Is it perfect? No, but sometimes it eerily reminds me, of my hazy memories of what was played back on AM, when the music, and music radio still mattered.

They play an unlikely, yet eclectic mix, just like it was in the late 60s.
    The playlist includes, all the usual Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, Four Seasons, Motown.
    But ALSO, they'll play, Gale Garnett, Merilee Rush, Sam Cooke, Ray Charles, Ricky Nelson, Johnny Mathis, Bobby Darin, Bobby Goldsboro, Jackie DeShannon, Tom Jones, Ramsey Lewis, Paul Revere & The Raiders...

If you'd like to give it a listen, they stream on the internet, at www.wmtram.com , and at IHeartRadio, and TuneIN.

If you love the way Top 40 AM music radio sounded, back in the day, give WMTR-AM a try.

11. Hofy

Hofy Forum Resident

I have not listened to AM since the 1970's. I used to have a long copper wire attached to the ceiling of my room as a kid that I would hook up to my little AM transistor radio. At night I would listen to stations as far away as Texas and Florida. (I am in Wisconsin.) Now there is little if any music to be had on the AM band in the US. Just a lot of hot air whether it be politics, religion or sports. Nothing I care about.

12. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

You could have translated my comment of missing Art Bell and we would both come across as having the same feelings. :thumbsup:

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  13. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

There was an excellent guest on last night who talked about Einstein and his theory of relativity. He knew his stuff and explained it very well. I used to be a physics major in college. I was pleased they had a guest that understood modern cosmology and made it sound interesting while getting it right, as far as I could tell. Once in a while they also have author and academic Michio Kaku on the show, and he's very good too. He's written a number of popular books, some of which speculate about future science and probable inventions, etc.

As for the nut jobs caoast-to-coast mostly features, I'm always impressed at how hard those folks work to present a seemingly coherent world of nonsense, and present their bogus made-up theories for hours with confidence, without faltering while fielding questions.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  14. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

That's because they are totally indulged without any questioning of their conclusions and "theories". Evidence is whatever they say it is.

15. spudco

spudco Well-Known Member

I still occasionally tune in to the talk stations just to keep tabs on all the crazies. I usually do this in the dark of night and often I just end up fighting the urge to abort myself with the 12 gauge. Come to think of it, I sometimes have the same reaction when I listen to NPR.

16. butch

butch Senior Member

Mark Simone is no longer on WABC he left in 2012. He's on WOR weekdays. He sadly no longer does a Saturday Night Oldies show. His weekday show sometimes has the old school musical stars he had on WABC but it's more political talk/NYC local topics like his old Saturday morning show was.

17. I have an AM5 from 1975, and, in recent weeks, have been bringing it back to life. I intend to upgrade it with recapping, LED replacements for the original incandescent front panel lamps, and a recently purchased Meduci CQUAM Stereo detector. In the many years since I used it regularly, however, I appear to have lost the user manual and schematic. If you have those, I would pay money for scans of the pages. If you don't have or can't make scans of the pages, I could borrow your printed manual and make scans, sending you back the original and a .pdf of the scanned version. Please let me know if you can be of help, and if we can come to a suitable arrangement. Thanks!

18. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Not regularly but I listen to country, big band and occasionally some talk radio when I am in the mountain/desert Southwest every year. It is kind of like a tradition.

19. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Sports talk radio here in Atlanta is pretty big. AM 680 the fan is hugely popular and pretty entertaining. That would be about the extent of my AM listening.

20. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

All talk, left on a few stations right on a few, sports on one. Forget it.

21. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

With the exception of streaming Pandora to my tablet, I don't listen to radio at all.

22. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Unfortunately, I don't have a manual for my AM-5. I am not the original owner, and never obtained one with the unit when I bought it. Sorry I can't help. Sounds like you have a fun project in the works.

23. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

Art Bell Leaves SiriusXM - Nov. 5, 2013

Art Bell, the radio icon that joined the SiriusXM line-up on September 16th is leaving the air after just a month and a half. While passionate satellite radio fans may not want to hear it, his reasons for leaving boiled down to three main things:

- SiriusXM’s web player is notoriously unreliable, causing a loss of subscribers and a degraded listening experience for those who remain listening online.
    - For a “caller driven” show, the caller pool for art’s show is just too small.
    - International listeners have no legitimate way to hear the show.

http://artbell.com/art-bell-leaves-siriusxm/

24. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

25. sgb

sgb Senior Member

In my car I listen to AM about 80% of the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.