What Mega-selling Album Leaves You Wondering Why it Sold So Much?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by houston, Nov 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"Scarecrow" was the first Mellencamp album I ever bought, and I still like it a lot musically. Like I said, I'm afraid to listen to the lyrics now! :D

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Have you ever seen what he looked like?

3. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Never got it, probably never will. As you said, there are some good songs on it, but not so good that I'd feel compelled to buy the album. I do have the live version of Silver Spring on my main playlist, but that's the only Mac song I ever liked enough to listen to multiple times.

4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

All of 'em since 1995.

Coricama likes this.
  5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Not even Albatross? Hell...that's one of the prettiest songs ever recorded.

Tristero likes this.
  6. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

I need to check it out again. Been probably a decade, or more, since I've listened to it. Perhaps I'll just have to crank my lyrics filter all the way up. ;)

7. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Had never heard that one before. Kinda weird since I grew up on Rock radio in the 70's and 80's. Listening to it now, and you are right. Incredibly beautiful tune.

Just remembered that I also have the title track for Tusk. That's one I've always enjoyed as well.

Synthfreek likes this.
  8. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Aw shucks. My pearls are nothing compared to your golden showers of praise!

9. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

We can't dance is fantastic and Fading Lights has brought me to tears. Completely different animals.

allnoyz likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Okay. I always viewed "Touch" and "Dance" as peas/pod... :shrug:

11. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Meh. Pretty textbook Phil bashing post.
    Referencing "the peter gabriel era" weakens your argument frankly. Both eras are completely different.
    I have no issue with you disliking the pop elements of the album, but at least have some sort of sensible and even slightly informed points of reference other than "I remember in the good old days when Gabriel was in the band".
    Mike and Tony are both pop fans, as well as Classical. One look at their solo output from the 80's would show you that. But its easy to be lazy about things and blame evil Phil for ruining Genesis.

12. Funny you should say that. I was just thinking the same this very afternoon around the the time you must have posted. Are you listening to Tony Blackburn playing Hits second time around?
    I even bought the much hyped INXS album and was and still are hugely disappoinnted. A much over hyped band and frontman; wannabe Stones perhaps or a smouldering pretty boy?

13. Claus

Claus Senior Member

agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sparkydog and onionmaster like this.
  14. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

There's definitely similarities. It was only 5 years between albums. I think Hold on My Heart could be a close cousin of In Too Deep. Some of the other songs don't follow much of the IT pattern though. Driving The Last Spike is and Dreaming While You Sleep are a bit more darker. I never really think of IT when I listen though. Different feel and production. But in general, its not a massive departure.

15. Oatsdad

I know "IT" much better than "Dance" but I did review the boxed set a few years ago and clearly thought they had a lot in common:

"Genesis took a five-year break before they returned with 1991’s We Can’t Dance - or Invisible Touch Part II, as it should be called. In almost all ways, Dance creates an impression that will strongly remind listeners of the earlier hit. Some might argue it includes superior songs as a whole, but I think it’s a toss up between the two. If you like one, you’ll like the other. If you can’t stand one, I don’t imagine you’ll embrace the other."

Whole review if anyone's curious: :)

http://www.dvdmg.com/genesis1983-1998.shtml

16. DLeet

DLeet Forum Resident

I totally get you. I could not get into The Wall (hm, that sounds weird) for a veeery long time. But when I finally understood it (or maybe the mood and the moment was right, I don't know), it dawned upon me that it is probably the best album they've ever released. Comparing the Wall and Dark Side is like White Album vs Abbey Road to me.

17. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

You're wrong in your statement because I only said that I started to listen to Genesis with the Gabriel era records, not that I stopped there. I mean, I love Wind and Wuthering, I like the one in your avatar and even 1983 Genesis. For me, these early eighties records are fine pop music, with touches of the sophistication that shaped the band in the past. That's the reason why Invisible Touch shocked me, it was just like if I was listening to a "Dead or Alive" record! The only song that approached the previous "good pop" Genesis is "Tonight...". The title track is atrocious, any crappy synth-pop group of the time could have done that thing and I can't accept that the same band that came with Mama, That's All, No Reply At All (...), could come up with something like that. It's the same with Yes; Big Generator is a really bad pop record by pop records standard, not only in comparision with their prog masterpieces.

18. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I can dislike a record while still understanding fully why it connected in the marketplace. Must be my superpower.

19. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Excuse my ignorance, but what are you saying in the post below? I sometimes can't tell with out the nuances of the voice in a conversation.

20. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

The Eagles' Greatest Hits.

Crap, crap, crap.

Huck Caton likes this.
  21. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Well...you listed these 4 titles.

"Bat Out Of Hell"
    "Saturday Night Fever"
    "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
    "Cracked Rear View"

To me...3 of those are PURE garbage...then...I LOVE Iron Butterfly.

So.....there is ONE that is, to me, completely out of place...a gem in a in a pile of rubble....A piece of music that far outshines the others...not even on the same plane.

All in my not-so-humble opinion. :)

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is iconic in psychedelia. Easy to see why it sold a lot.

showtaper likes this.
  22. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

I mentioned Driving The Last Spike earlier. I'd put Fading Lights right up there with it.

Both fantastic tunes.

23. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Fair enough.
    I hated that album and that song especially. The singing makes me cringe, all of the 4 note range. When this album came out the only people I knew that liked the song were drummers.
    Music was a lot more reagonal back then and most folks I knew back then hated the album, it got old really fast.

I will say, I think DJ's loved the song, it was great for bathroom breaks.

Here's a thought, why not choose your own albums like the OP asks in his thread title and let me do mine.
    I have friends that love "Saturday Night Fever", but they don't give me grief for not liking it, the respect my
    opinion as I do theirs.:D

24. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

Anything by Adele. Just don't get the interest and hype.

25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Billy Joel was huge in Australia but An Innocent Man was Rumours/Thriller huge here. People who didn't buy records had copies. Comedians would use soundbites of The Longest Time in their act knowing that their audience would be overly familiar with the song.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.