Need a small audio player for use with external hard drive. Does this exist?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by johnnypaddock, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member Thread Starter

OK, here is my situation... I'm going with some Audioengine A5+ powered speakers for my garage setup. I usually just plug my iPod or my cell phone into the jack and listen to mp3 files. It works perfectly fine, but I'd love to find a way to access my entire music library (about 3TB).

My question... are there any devices out there that I could hook up to an external hard drive and use as a FLAC/ALAC player for my speakers? I'm thinking of something like a Squeezebox Touch, or even a portable unit like a Fiio X3, but instead of using onboard memory, it would need the ability to access an external drive. All of the players I've seen out there just use their own memory, or require wireless streaming.

At the moment, wireless isn't an option. My router is on the third floor, and the connection in the garage is terrible. So far, the only option I can think of would be to purchase a cheap/small laptop, grab a Dragonfly and install Foobar or JRiver, something like that. I'd rather not go to that expense, but it could be done.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks as always.

- Joe

2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Mac mini? You could run it headless if you have an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.

jeffsab likes this.
  3. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Unless I'm missing something, have a look at Sonos. Meant for wireless, but requires one hardwired connection to the router (which I assume is also hardwired to the music-containing external HD).

The one unit you would need is the Connect. Ethernet in, analog and digital out. Apps for your smartphone. $350.

http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connect

4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I think he stated wireless is a non starter.

5. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

There should be a way to get any adapter you need to hook up a 3 TB drive to your phone instead of buying something separate... My GalaxyS3 has a mini USB port, can hook anything up to it.

6. gd0

It wouldn't be a wireless setup; Ethernet to the Connect. Sonos is built for wireless (which most everybody wants), but can be set up hardwired throughout the entire house.

7. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Ok, but running Cat 5 or better cable from his router may be a big job. I wish I ran internet capable cable into every room in my house! A portable external hard drive negates all streaming or hardwired requirements. Or he could get a record player! :)

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Squeezebox + power line adapter for the network connection. Done!

9. used netbook-$100>jriver-$50> used Dragonfly-$75 ...hard to beat for the money!!
    I am using same set up. Sounds good!

ElvisCaprice likes this.
  10. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

11. johnnypaddock

Wow thanks for all of the posts... I didn't realize that a netbook might be capable of running Jriver. That might be an ideal solution. I could do a netbook plus DAC of choice, and I'd be in business.

The Sonos is another option, with the hardwiring capability.

Thanks for the tip on the wireless extender as well. Will look into that regardless of what I go with.

12. johnnypaddock

The Mac Mini would definitely work, and I use one in my main rig, but hoping to get something less expensive for the garage. Sometimes in the summer on really hot/humid days, I can open the garage door and a few minutes later everything has a film of condensation. Probably no big deal but I'd like to keep the cost under $200-300 if possible.

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

What about a wi-fi extender so you can just access your existing library.

14. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

I use an Audioengine W3 wireless adapter to send content from my music server to my garage. Over a direct distance of ~40ft and through 3 internal walls, I have no dropouts or connectivity issues at all. The receiver would plug into the USB port on the back of your A5's.

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/W3-Wireless-Audio-Adapter

15. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

WD Live Plus or something like that; most use them for video, but they play FLAC up to 24/96 and mp3 and can support external drives. Usually under $100.

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I think you'd have better luck with an ethernet power line extender, than a wireless extender. Too many variables with a wireless extender that could impact performance, vs. power line.

gd0 likes this.
  17. johnnypaddock

Ok so I hooked up an old laptop with an external HE today, and it works well. That said, it's bulky and just barely fits.

The good news is that the wireless network isn't as bad as I thought. I'm pretty sure I could go with a wireless player in place of the laptop.

I'm sure there are threads on this already, but does anyone have tips on something similar to a squeezebox touch? I used to have one and loved it, but it would sometimes lose the network which was a pain in the ass. Might look at the Sonos...

I'd love something with high res capability, small footprint and hopefully not too expensive.

I'll do some research as well. Thanks for any suggestions.

18. johnnypaddock

Ahhh, sorry for all of the indecision... I think I can actually make the laptop work, hard wired to an external HD. I will probably get JRiver, and either control it through my cell phone or just use the keyboard.

I freed up an entire shelf this afternoon and it doesn't look too bad. Thanks again to everyone who looked and posted.

19. gd0

Just in case you opt for even more indecision...
    Scratch Sonos off your list. 16/44 tops there.

You're on the right track with your laptop.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  20. johnnypaddock

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.