Courtney Love: "...saxophones don't belong in rock-n-roll"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jricc, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

If anyone knows what's not rock 'n' roll, it's Courtney Love.

Malina likes this.
  2. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

That's her opinion and I kind of agree with her. While I can understand that there are lots of good examples of saxophones in rock n' roll, I wouldn't like saxophones on my stuff either. But it's just a matter of taste. I don't hate the instrument but I know I don't like them on my Elvis.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's a good point! Look how many people bash rap/hip-hop, make ignorant remarks about it, and don't know a thing about it.

4. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident

I have to agree with Courtney at least for my own personal taste. Perhaps she should have said they don't belong in hard rock. I'm a big fan of prog and I don't mind flute or violin but I have always had an aversion to saxes mixed in with hard rock.

5. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

One of the few times that a cover version blows away the original.........

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  6. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

It's all semantics. Many equate rock 'n' roll with Stones-type bands and raunchy guitar rock.

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

AOR cliche-fest Foreigner made a listenable song only when they added saxophone: "Urgent."

8. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Don't get telling me that- I might start to prefer it. :D

9. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

piano too.

10. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

IMO the Stones are a rock and roll band (who use a sax) while Led Zepplin is a rock band who would never use one.

11. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Just for a minute, look within "ourselves", and many of the dozen's of very silly, misguided, totally wrong, very biased opinions in the forum that many often present as some type of universally agreed upon fact, truth, or universally "known" opinion.........

We represent the "opinion" of Mostly Middle aged white guys.

I wonder why my 20's daughter laughs at a lot of what I show her on the forum??

Ooh, could it be, "WE" are not all knowing about music, or simply "We" have very set tastes, and ideas that allow for very little questioning?

12. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Totally agree. I like a few songs with sax, but honestly, I really do not care for sax at all. For certain types of 50's stuff, sure it is part of the "sound", but for later stuff, to me I often roll my eyes, and cringe a bit.

I do not hate it, but just do not care for it.

I think it hugely depends on what era of rock we are talking also. And what is considered "Rock", "Rock and Roll", and so on.

To some, electric guitar with a lot of fuzz or distortion IS "Rock" music. To others, that signifies "Hard rock", or "Heavy metal", but NEVER "Rock and Roll"

It is just what she thinks. I have heard far worse "opinions"...:confused:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  13. RickStark79

RickStark79 Forum Resident

It's not about a taste thing, it's a knowledge thing. When you say something like "saxophones don't belong in rock and roll" when the roots of the genre featured that very instrument, you sound like an idiot - no matter what age or race you are.

jon9091 and dkmonroe like this.
  14. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I think it is very clear, she is stating her opinion though.

I do not think she is disputing the history of rock and roll.

She just hates sax.....

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

A couple of songs that would not be rock'n'roll according to your and Courtney Love's definition. Are these jazz or cheesy commercials?

Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88
    The Drifters - Money Honey
    Ray Charles - Mess Around, I Got A Woman, Hallelujah I Love Her So
    Joe Turner - Shake Rattle And Roll
    Bill Haley - Rock Around The Clock, See You Later Alligator
    Little Richard - Long Tall Sally, Keep A Knockin', Lucille, Good Golly Miss Molly, Tutti Frutti
    The Dell Vikings - Come Go With Me
    The Champs - Tequila
    Dion - Runaround Sue, The Wanderer
    The Coasters - Yakety Yak, Charlie Brown
    Fats Domino - Ain't That A Shame, I'm Walking
    Duane Eddy - Rebel Rouser
    Frankie Ford - Sea Cruise
    Lloyd Price - Stagger Lee
    Johnny & The Hurricanes - Red River Rock
    Big Popper - Chantilly Lace
    Louis Prima - Just A Gigolo
    Elvis Presley - Return To Sender
    The Beatles - Lady Madonna
    King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man
    The Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar, Can't You hear Me Knockin'
    John Lennon - Whatever Gets You Through The Night
    David Bowie - Young Americans
    Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Gerry Rafferty - "Baker Street"

Foreigner - "Urgent"

I always think Bob Seger blew it when he didn't get a dirty sax to play the bridge on "Main Street."

17. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

A friend was telling me a story about dear Ms Love. I dont know if it is true, probably isnt, you know how these rock legends are.

Anyway he says their was some Hole album and Courtney was bragging in the press about how good the playing was, how it was all girls and how they're actually better than boys - in reality it was Billy Corgan playing most of it.

Anybody know if this is true?

18. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Zeppelin couldn't figure out which end to blow into so Jimmy used it to drag across his strings...... :D

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think you're referring to the album Celebrity Skin (1998). Corgan had a big hand in writing the material and played bass on three tracks. They also brought in Journey drummer, Deen Castronovo, on drums for the recording. So, along with guitarist, Eric Erlandson, who was a guy the last time I checked, I don't see how she could have claimed it was "all girls". But that's the album she's referring to.

20. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

21. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

22. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Nuff said.

23. chef0069

chef0069 Forum Resident

Love sax in rock, Love VDGG, Crimson, MOI, Soft Machine, along with all the 50's and 60's doo wop, and instrumentals. I know, some will say, 'that's not rock'!

24. I realize there is a lot of dislike for Courtney Love here ( I could care less one way or the other and actually like the first Hole album) but, come on guys, lets not make this a misogynic rant. I feel the comment is uninformed because it is one of those sweeping denouncements that doesn't really stare WHY and ignores that any instrument can be badly used in a handful of songs but also brilliantly used on others. If she dislikes Springsteen she should come out and just admit that she dislikes him vs. "blaming" it on the instrument being played.

GodShifter and Grant like this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

No, it is still just a matter of opinion. I disagree with it, but I'm not going to let a rhetorical technique get under my skin.

kevintomb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.