Bob Dylan - 50th Anniversary Collection: 1963

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pigalle, Nov 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

"Due to a lack of availability..."

2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Aoxomoxoa and many others don't "like" this!

3. kpj1973

kpj1973 Well-Known Member

Like many of you I ordered this when it was first offered on amazon(.ca). I received numerous "we are still looking for your item, still want it?" emails, but never cancelled my order. I had all but given up hope on ever receiving it, but didn't want to cancel my order - almost out of spite for amazon offering something they couldn't deliver on. I was satisfied with the digital copy I had.

Last week, I had got an email from amazon indicating that the order had been received and was ready to be shipped. I did a few searches on SHF and expecting rain to see if more copies had been released and didn't come up with anything. I thought that it was likely just some mistake from amazon and I would receive a copy of the 30th Anniversary Celebration CD or DVD and my hopes would be dashed. Well, I'm happy to say I received it yesterday. It feels like I won the lottery.

The purpose of this post isn't to gloat, but rather to let everyone know not to cancel any outstanding orders for the 50th Anniversary Collection. You just never know. I'm just curious what the path these records took before landing on my steps? Seems unbelievable it became this late.

BNell, subtr, Sean Murdock and 4 others like this.
  4. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

wow! so cool it actually shipped and arrived. i canceled my order eventually, despite my usual optimism. oh well. congrats!

5. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

My copy was canceled by Amazon US a few months ago, but I was able to pick up a copy from a UK retailer at the standard price that was being offered in the shops when it was first offered at the end of last year.

6. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Wow -- gives me some hope! Amazon (US) cancelled my order also a few weeks (months?) back, but just a couple of weeks ago Amazon.ca said they were still trying. I hope they can scrape up one more copy...

7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Where are they all coming from? Is it another pressing? Disappointed sellers who couldn't get their bloated prices on eBay returning them?

8. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Perhaps Neil Young is hand delivering these from Canada??

9. popmat

popmat Forum Resident

just got this -

"Hello from Amazon.ca.

We're sorry to report we won't be able to obtain the following item from your order:

Dylan, Bob "50th Anniversary Collection: 1963 (Vinyl)"

Although we'd expected to be able to send this item to you, we've since found it's not available from any of our sources at this time. We realize this is disappointing news to receive, and we apologize for any inconvenience we've caused you.

We must apologize also for the length of time it's taken us to reach this conclusion. Until recently, we'd still hoped to obtain this item for you.

We've cancelled this item from your order.

Your order is now closed."

10. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Yeah, I just got that too. Oh well.

11. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

After I read some success stories I searched on the website of my German online supplier last week and found one with status "lieferbar innerhalb 1-2 Wochen (soweit verfügbar beim Lieferanten)" and I just got the message that it was shipped to me today.
    I'll report when it's the real thing, but if it is, it appears that copies come available from time to time. So keep trying, I would say.

12. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I got the official box from jpc, I feel lucky.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  13. mep

mep Forum Resident

Any sign or rumor there will be a 1964 release in the next couple of weeks, like the last two years ?

14. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Nothing yet, but last year it hit on November 22 -- so we have a few days left. 1964 will be a pretty slim release for Dylan if it happens (and I assume that it will in some fashion).

revolution_vanderbilt and mep like this.
  15. mep

mep Forum Resident

Thanks! So let´s hope for it. I still don´t get it, why they refuse to do a release like that in a more proper way, like as part of the RSD...

16. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

But there is really so little, maybe they aren't even going to bother?

17. mep

mep Forum Resident

It´s a series now, they just have to continue! At least as a favor for the collector in me... ;)

18. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Maybe -- you can look at the studio sessions here:

http://www.punkhart.com/dylan/sessions-1.html

There's one June session for the Another Side album. I'm not sure how much of that material circulates or how many were truly complete takes. "Denise" is the only song that hasn't been officially released in the past.

Then you have the December session that is basically overdubbing new musicians over tracks recorded in 1961 and 1962. I would assume that most of these are covered under the official albums and/or the previous Copyright Session albums. I'm not sure if the new recordings make it truly 'new' and something that they'd need to revisit from a copyright standpoint again.

Then, of course, there's any live material that they want to cover. I'm not sure what exists from 1964 that could be deemed worthy -- the Halloween show is probably the top candidate but that's already been officially released.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Off the top of my head, there are the "Emmett Grogan Acetates", which contain some minor variations on the "Another Side" tracks (you can hear how "I Shall Be Free #10" was pieced together) and there is the fairly historical but sonically not-so-hot Philadelphia audience tape. The "selling point" of the "EG Acetates" was the early "Mr. Tambourine Man", but that's already been on "No Direction Home".

HominyRhodes likes this.
  20. Moth

Moth fluttering by

There was a guy over on Expecting Rain who seemed pretty confident that there would be a Copyright Collection for 1964, although - understandably - he wouldn't reveal his sources.
    From how I understand the copyright law changes, this will still happen. Although, at the same time, I want it to happen, so I am biased.

21. Monkadee

Monkadee Forum Resident

I was hoping they would do a Copyright Collection for 1964, but since they changed the copyright laws in Europe from 50 years of protection to 70, they have no need to release one.

22. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

To my knowledge, the law is unchanged from last year. Released material has extended protection, while unreleased material still goes into the public domain after 50 years.

PhantomStranger and Moth like this.
  23. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

This applies to material that was officially released 50 years ago -- previously this material went into the public domain which explains all of the "hits of 1962" cds that came out of the EU in the past few years. The material officially released 50 years ago was extended to 70 years.

The material that is unreleased is fair game if it hasn't been released -- that law hasn't changed. If Dylan doesn't officially release "Denise" by the end of this year it's in the public domain...along with all of the live recordings that float around.

24. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Email just through from Sony. requested a tracklist, none forthcoming.
    Bob Dylan Public Domain, 50th anniversary recordings (1964)
    will be a one off pressing limited to 1000 across Europe. The format will be a 9 piece LP Vinyl in a slipcase.
    Release date 8th Dec (this is likely to move back one week)

25. Newscot

Newscot Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.