Joy Division - Substance - New Japanese Pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by havenz, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. havenz

havenz Forum Resident Thread Starter

These are starting to show up on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Joy-Divisio...3244819?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item54081b1293) so I picked one up for a very reasonable $25. My reason for grabbing this new copy was the second disc is full of other tracks that were not included on the 1988 Qwest release that I already have.

So, naturally, I compared it to that US pressing on Qwest. Frankly stated the newer vinyl sounds very different. I'm no lingo expert (not yet anyway...) but the US pressing sounds much more full and detailed compared to the newer Japanese pressing.

I wonder if this newer pressing is CD sourced a bootleg. Does anyone have any info on this release? I checked Discogs and discovered that the only Japanese release listed that matches mine is from 1988. All of the catalog numbers and deadwax infos are the same.
    URL: http://www.discogs.com/Joy-Division-Substance/release/5603337

Any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance!

2. ronankeane

ronankeane Forum Resident

That '1988' release was recently added to Discogs by someone who has a brand new copy for sale. It is most likely a recent bootleg.

3. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Not really a bootleg, since Substance was a legit release, just a pirate copy. And it's not really from Japan, they just add the Japanese bits to make it seem more desirable. There are lots of these 'Japanese' pirate LPs in circulation - Joy Division, Talk Talk, Slowdive, Brian Eno...

Bruno Republic likes this.
  4. ronankeane

'Bootleg' means illegal product, always has. You seem to think that it only applies to product for which no legal equivalent exists. Where did you get this idea from?

5. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Hmmm, let's spend 5 seconds on the internet....here we go:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootleg_recording

A bootleg recording is an audio or video recording of a performance that was not officially released by the artist or under other legal authority. The process of making and distributing such recordings is known as bootlegging.

jh901, kevin5brown and goldwax like this.
  6. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

And in case you're still confused:

Bootlegs should not be confused with counterfeit or pirated recordings, which are merely unauthorised duplicates of officially released recordings, often attempting to resemble the official product as close as possible.

katstep, kevin5brown and goldwax like this.
  7. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

To clarify the other wiki thing, bootleg would not be used for music when it's a reproduction of an already existing release. That's where a pirate comes in. Bootlegs are usually something like live albums that never got released so someone packages them up. Pirates are trying to pass it off as the legit release that's already officially released.

8. havenz

havenz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the clarification everyone! With the information given here, I think it's safe to assume that my copy of Substance is in fact a pirate and most likely CD sourced. Bummer...

9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Yeah, an official vinyl release with the full CD tracklisting would be nice.

We just barely got the first official re-issue of An Ideal For Living after 36 years, though!

10. ronankeane

Let's give it 5 seconds more...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootleg

In copyright infringement:

A 'pirate' LP certainly counts as counterfeit merchandise and therefore is a kind of bootleg. (A bootleg release but not a bootleg recording.) So which Wikipedia entry should we use to decide which is right? Neither. Either one of us could go and edit the entry that we don't like... but writing something on Wikipedia doesn't make it true. A better way to check the definition of a word is to use a dictionary. It's a good idea to check one before you correct someone else's usage.

11. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

You must be fun at parties.

kevin5brown likes this.
  12. ronankeane

At parties I don't go around pedantically correcting other people's sentences. I don't see any point in it.

13. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

At least they have good taste in music...

jsayers and Echo like this.
  14. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I saw this today at twist and shout in Denver. Whoever did it seems to have done a nice job on the packaging. I wonder if it was from the original Japanese stampers.

15. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

You must be joking.

16. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I was kidding. Here is a huge sign it is a knock off: it is 2 pieces of vinyl covering all the songs on the cd. The original was one lp. So, my thought is that this has to be a cd rip with very nice packaging.

17. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

For sure. I've seen a lot of "Japanese" pirate issues of alt touchstones in the last couple of years.

18. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Yesterday I saw a copy of Eno's Another Green World with OBI, kanji characters in the dead wax, made in Japan on the sleeve, unsealed, but it looked and smelled brand new (therefore fishy). When I got home I saw that it's an unofficial on discogs. If I hadn't known that there wasn't a recent japanese release of this I could have been fooled.

19. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Obviously this doesn't apply to counterfeit copies of actual albums, but Joy Division bootlegs have some of the worst album art.

"Oh let's just throw some sad-looking statue on the front like they did on Closer and call it a day!"

Brudy and Theadmans like this.
  20. Yes you have a good point there. Mind you I found some of the arly 80s JD boots particularly gruesome as a number of them featured photos of dead bodies :shake:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.