New Highway 61 Revisited MFSL Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FunBrownSugar, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miche

Miche Forum Resident

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
    DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  2. srgehl

srgehl Well-Known Member

final got a chance as I type to play the album on my turntable. Sounds awesome!
    Didn't notice that until you commented about it. Maybe original master wasn't in good condition?

vonwegen likes this.
  3. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

I'm gonna go broke at this rate. If it sounds as good as all the other MOFI 45 RPM LPs, then everyone is in for a really enjoyable listen.

mikeyt, vonwegen and ssmith3046 like this.
  4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I agree. The Blonde on Blonde 45 rpm is the best stereo version of this record that I have owned. Desire has never sounded better IMO.

klownschool likes this.
  5. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

All of them have been stellar, I actually have been the most impressed with The Times They Are......... Dylan's voice is so lifelike I even got my wife to listen for awhile, she couldn't believe how great it sounded.

mikeyt likes this.
  6. srgehl

srgehl Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong the MoFi 45rpm of Desire sounds great, I'd give it a 9 out of 10 with all the other Dylan 45rpm releases being a perfect 10. And maybe I'm not using the right words, but I was really hoping that the guitar on "Hurricane" would have the same punch as most of the songs on the other albums.

7. srgehl

srgehl Well-Known Member

North Country Blues on The Times They Are A-Changing is CRAZY.

8. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

Oh, this is good news! I held off pre-ordering this one until I heard some testimonials (as if I would ever pass on it, though) . . . can't wait to hear more.

9. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Anybody know why the "Original Master Recording" banner was not used this time?

10. KOWHeigel

KOWHeigel Forum Resident

Would love it if someone could provide an informal comparison as to the quality of this release with the other Dylan MFSL titles. My favorite so far has been Freewheelin'.

Like others I would like to know the source used on this too. It appears from the banner that it was not the original master tape.

11. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

From what I recall reading in the larger Dylan MFSL thread, the original stereo master tape was in too rough shape to use. There was a rumor that the multi-track tapes were also damaged or lost, but our host dispelled that claim. Nevertheless, as I understand it, Highway 61 Revisited has not been remixed for stereo since 1965.

So. if the MoFi LP is not from the stereo master, and was not remixed from the multi-track masters, then this must be from another stereo mixdown tape - perhaps a copy, but perhaps an alternate master. I'm not sure if MoFi has cleared this up, but it could be the same situation as The Band, where they are in possession of a tape that they suspect to be an early copy or master, but are unsure of its actual lineage.

vonwegen, Plan9, mikeyt and 1 other person like this.
  12. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

We really need Steve's opinion and guidance on this.
    after all what else is this forum for?

should we be selling our DCCs?

13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I would hang on to my DCC, I am, but the MFSL 45 rpm is on the way.

mikeyt likes this.
  14. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Probably because they didn't use the original master tape?
    Just goes to show that the original master tape isn't necessary to get good sound if done right.

15. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Got my copy of HWY 61 this morning from Music Direct #259. Just finished listening...I'll leave it to others to provide deeper observations...I will say it sounds brilliant!!! I did compare it to the Sony SACD. Mofi had deeper definition and wider soundstage. If you liked the ways the other Mofis sounded you're gonna love this!! Don't hesitate to get it!

vonwegen and Tommyboy like this.
  16. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Mine is on its way. Looking forward.

17. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

has the MFSL CD been released, or just the vinyl? A little confused by some of the (preliminary) comparisons being made...

18. ted321

ted321 Forum Resident

Refer to the thread title.

19. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I won't sell my DCC either, but I am interested in how this MFSL LP and CD compares.

20. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

yeah, but...

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Why does getting the mfsl hwy 61 have to dictate getting rid of the dcc? The mfsl and the dcc can live side by side and be quiet happy. Different flavors. The dcc isnt ever going anywhere from my home. Its one of the best dccs of one of the greatest albums ever.

Im sure the mfsl will sound great also.

rxcory, Brian DeWitt and cc-- like this.
  22. Brian DeWitt

Brian DeWitt Senior Member

One of my favorite albums ever. Played it to death when I was 13 and I'm still listening to it 40 years later. I own the Hoffman-mastered DCC, the 2003 Sony SACD, the vinyl Mono Box and a well preserved 2-eye first pressing (my favorite of all). Did not hesitate to order this one. Mofi is knocking this series out of the park, IMO.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  23. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Better than Freewheelin?

24. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I have a coveted 2-eye mono as well. How does the MFSL compare to the 2-eye?

25. Brian DeWitt

Brian DeWitt Senior Member

I'll know on Saturday.

RelayerNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.