Album it took you the longest to "get".

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by allnoyz, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm going to get lynched now but some bands and solo singers i have never "Got" well................ I hate to say this but i've never "got" Bob Dylan now i know the guys a legend and i'm 100% in agrement he can can write a bloody good song but to me it just sounds like some guy in a bar at closing time after one to many.

Big Train, mj_patrick and allnoyz like this.
  2. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Still don't entirely get Bob, but readily acknowledge the genius of his songwriting.

mj_patrick likes this.
  3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

For Pop : David Bowie's Low. It was some years before I realized it was great.

For Jazz : Chick Corea Now He Sings Now He Sobs. My opinion of this slowly and erratically grew over the years. Now it's one of my favorite jazz albums.

4. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

When it first came out, I was a disco basher. Years later, I listened to it....heard the first four Bee Gees songs, and thought to myself -- jeeeez, listen to these guys, these arrangements! That's sick! Then I got hooked on the other tracks....

5. CDmp3

CDmp3 Forum Resident

I think "getting" is not the same as liking.

6. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

It's not albums I don't get but musicians. I loved Miles' early works but when Bitches Brew came out it flummoxed me. I find most free form music to be hard to understand, Zappa being one. Sometimes I can get into the 'head' of a musician but there are times I can't.

I think with Pet Sounds it was the studio mastery that so impressed many including the Beatles. I have enjoyed that album since I bought it when it first came out. Pet Sounds was like a therapy session for Brian and his religious beliefs.

7. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Ironically, DSOM was the last Floyd album I liked. Everything that came after sounded recycled from earlier works. That means I'm still trying to "get" The Wall (although getting it in bits and pieces over The Pink Floyd Channel on SiriusXM helps). I don't think I'll ever "get" Animals.

8. timind

timind phorum rezident

Radiohead's Kid A took serious work on my part. It was such a major departure from previous music I had given up on it at one point. I came back and began slugging away at it and at some point it finally clicked. Love it now.
    Ryan Adams' 29 is another album that I had to put away for a while. It's now my favorite album by Adams.

77jordan likes this.
  9. twowwheels

twowwheels Forum Resident

I liked this one from the start!

Mr Bass likes this.
  10. scocs

scocs Forum Resident

It's not that I just started liking those 1977 Bee Gees songs -- I feel I had to come of age in order to appreciate and "get" what Barry, Maurice, and Robin Gibb were doing in the studio....

11. Big Train

Big Train Forum Resident

I had that same experience for at least 30 years. Then I watched the Forever Changes Concert DVD and it's like someone wrote here, a door opening in my own house; a door I didn't know even was there. The rhythms and melodies sound like they come from a different place - 1967 - but they have the ring of familiarity, too.

Keep listening. It'll come through for you, too. And you'll love it for how beautiful it is.

12. Big Train

Big Train Forum Resident

I loved "Layla" first time I heard it. And then after I'd been married for 20 years, the rest of the album made perfect sense. I was startled at how much "Bell Bottom Blues" resonated with me.

13. Big Train

Big Train Forum Resident

Love your avatar. That cover - for Red Tape - is one of the all-time greats. Mike McCarty did that one. He did many other ARS covers, too.

14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

:righton:

15. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Just curious - is it something about this particular Brotzmann (i.e., do you like "Machine Gun" or others)? Do you like other jazz records on the noisier/freer side of things?

16. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

I heard Lou Reed: Berlin when it came out. I was in my teens, and didn't need to be any more depressed than I was already. I heard it again at a friend's place in my 20s and thought 'oh god no t this depressing crap'. For some reason, I bought a copy a few years ago on CD. It clicked immediately. Maybe it's a maturity thing. It's no too great on melody, the words could have been written by anyone, and the subject matter is misery without redemption. Buut I find it strangely uplifting, and it takes me to another place in a way only real art can.

77jordan likes this.
  17. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

It was simply a matter of timing. It was the "free-est" jazz I'd been exposed to up to that point in time. I'd tried it a half-dozen times and I wasn't making it through the seeming incoherence of it all. Interestingly, I had made plans to go see Brotzmann locally--I think it was with one of his larger aggregations (can't recall precisely now; I've had the good fortune to hear him live four or five times since) and my wife asked me it it was going to be "something I [she] would like" (don't you just love that?? LOL) and I told her no, pretty unlikely. I went and put on Nipples figuring she'd freak but I wanted to tell her that the music was pretty "abstract" or "challenging"--something on that order but that she shouldn't "feel bad" because EVEN I didn't "get it." [Fill in comments about condescending male spouses here.]

I still recall the moment. She was in the bathroom combing her hair, preparing to go to work, etc, and I had the bathroom sound on and we both stood there for a minute listening and she turned to me and said, "You're right." And I stood there thinking to myself, "Holy ****, NOW I hear it."

Funny how that works.

I spent several years from that point on listening to all kinds of free and more abstract jazz and enjoying it immensely, in fact, for some time it was the sort of music I would play almost exclusively. I find I don't listen as much, generally, to "it" any more but I still periodically put something on along those lines. My tastes are all over the map and I just never know what sort of music I am going to end up listening to, whether it's a "one-off' play or settling into some sort of genre groove for days on end.

(And yes, I have Machine Gun and many other Brotzmann titles--I'm guessing maybe a dozen of them(?). And I have the Last Exit stuff, which seems pretty straightforward comparatively.)

18. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Ah, I see. I was just wondering what had made that particular one have a long gestation period for you. I think we've run parallel paths in music listening - there was likewise a stretch for me where anything that wasn't absolutely outside just didn't even sound "right" and I only listened to free/abstract/avant/noisy/freaky records (I recall putting on a Kinks album around that time and thinking that it didn't sound quite like "music" to me - ironically, the same sort of impression that a lot of other folks have of free jazz).

allnoyz and BrokenByAudio like this.
  19. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I'm right there beside you. :shrug:

It took me years to find the magic of Astral Weeks though, so maybe there's hope for me one day.

Jeff

20. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident Thread Starter

I went through the exact same thing! If it wasn't the Coltrane Quartet, Eric Dolphy, Ornette, Ayler, or even newer stuff like Willie Parker and his circle, it just didn't interest me.

Oddly enough, I rarely listen to any of that stuff these days. And what I turned to after that was Alt. Country which is about as "inside" as it gets.

Also, I'm far more interested in straight up Jazz these days.

21. velvetmornin

velvetmornin Well-Known Member

Sufjan Steven's "Illinois" did nothing for me on 1st listen. I tried it again a year later, and now it's one of my all time favorite albums. Sometimes the 1st listen just doesn't work for me on new music, even when the 2nd listen blows me away.

22. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Wilco - YHF - a lot going on there, needed multiple listens for sure....it is great. Love the accompanying movie as well.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Erik B. likes this.
  23. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

Yes, the Last Exit stuff was one of my first exposures to the "fire music" ... very unique, wonderful stuff ~!

24. bfraizer

bfraizer Member

Houses of the Holy for me..after Zep IV this was like.. what the f--k!

25. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I decided to buy this album again the other day. I always thought it couldn't hold a candle to Sticky Fingers (as SF is my favourite) and found it boring to be honest! But, after hearing it again after leaving it for so many years- I just think it's really great now. It's clicked after 10 years, for me! :D

phoenixhwy1982 and allnoyz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.