New Paul McCartney Out There Tour Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by theMess, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

The bottom line is - an artist with a catalog this HUGE, no way to please everybody. I'm glad he's coming to my town, even if it took 12 years for it to happen. Thankful that at this stage of the game, he's still doing a 30+ song set.

DrBeatle and JoeRockhead like this.
  2. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I liked the City Field shows the best. not sure why. Great version of I'm Down. It was raining, the Fireman tunes were cool, Even Billy Joel couldn't spoil it!

Jack, theMess and John Grimes like this.
  3. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

I drove down to Nashville for the show in 2010. One of the highlights of my life. Saw him a year later 20 minutes from my home, and while great, it didn't compare with the Nashville show.

tonyc and John Grimes like this.
  4. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Thanks, that's awesome news.

Jack likes this.
  5. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

He wouldn't by any chance whip out surprises like Sally G in Nashville maybe??? That would be a nice treat.

theMess likes this.
  6. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I went to his show last night. It was heavily based on Beatles material, with some fantastic deep cuts (if there were any). Highlights were The Long & Winding Road, Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite, Things We Said Today, Lovely Rita, Day Tripper, Blackbird.
    I saw him live three years ago and in my opinion yesterday was a better show. He repeated the ukelele number on Something as a homage to George and some of other favorites like Hey Jude, Yesterday, Lady Madonna and some hits from his sólo career, but also played 3 or 4 tracks from New, which sounded solid.
    I've made my point in this forum regarding his current band and again, last night show confirmed me my previous thoughts. They are far from what Paul deserves.
    In sum, it was a fantastic show even for those who regulary follow his tours. He is still in full form.

7. backseat

backseat Italian translator - Paul McCartney's 'The Lyrics'

I agree with your assessment of the band. IMHO the 1989-93 touring band was vastly superior: in particular I think someone like Hamish Stuart is clearly missing.

8. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I'll take Rusty, Brian & Abe over the slick "Lumpy Trousers" band any day!

Those guys were so mechanical and cheesy!

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Agree. I thought the 1989-1993 band was technical and bland - it felt like they just wanted to recreate the songs rather than play them.

Wings was best, but I much prefer the 2002-date band to the 1989-1993 musicians...

10. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

The odd thing is that the relatively small variations he throws into live versions of Beatles songs are almost always pretty great. He takes some liberties with Paperback Writer on "Good Evening NYC" and it's terrific. In 2005 he did For No One solo at the piano and it was stunning. And you can go all the way back to the Wings Over America version of The Long and Winding Road, which a lot of us think is the definitive version of that song. I look forward to those moments and just wish there were more of them.

theMess and John Grimes like this.
  11. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

thank god for that!

Jack likes this.
  12. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

I'd be all for a return of a Figure of Eight opener :wiggle:

ConnieGuitar, theMess and foxylady like this.
  13. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

June 25, in Nashville Tn. Will be my first time in my 36 years on Earth to see Paul McCartney, wow!

Brian Frank, theMess and pjc1 like this.
  14. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I suspect you will have an absolutely wonderful time. The set list (and the stage patter) are designed for you and other first-time attendees.

John Grimes likes this.
  15. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

So is he going to close out Candlestick Park or open up Levi Stadium in few months ... or both? ... That would make some history.

theMess likes this.
  16. therebelsell

therebelsell Forum Resident

Or swap in Put It There, similar to how he was dropping Calico Skies into the setlists for a while.

theMess likes this.
  17. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

The thing that boggles me is that I've heard Paul does read stuff on-line, and that is why probably in his mind he already is adding variety from show to show. But when you have all day to rehearse, how hard is it to every so often dig out a real rarity? I would think it would be fun.

I was listening to a show around 2003, and he did a ton of things he never did before. Some he hasn't done since.

theMess likes this.
  18. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

or he could tick us all off and cover this...

theMess and DrBeatle like this.
  19. wags262

wags262 Forum Resident

My wife and I got tickets for Minneapolis! Last year we had tickets for Milwaukee and I ended up in the hospital instead : ( We've never seen Paul, so I hope I can stay well.

theMess and pjc1 like this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Or maybe he'll play Altamont Raceway instead... ;) Arnie

Fullbug and howlinrock like this.
  21. RayS

Ok, just the men ... now just the girls ... now just the guys on the motorcycles ...

Fullbug, mgoad30, LandHorses and 3 others like this.
  22. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Exactly. Look, I'm a massive Beatles fan, love his Wings stuff and almost all of his solo stuff. I saw him last summer at Fenway and even with the set list that so many are criticizing, I had an absolute BLAST and it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to in my life. I'll never complain about the set list. Now, the canned stage banter...that's another story :)

theMess and pjc1 like this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

... and now the guys with the pool cues... ;) Arnie

theMess and DrBeatle like this.
  24. RayS

It really wouldn't take a great deal of effort to keep things pretty close to where they are now yet appease the people who have seen him 10x or more. The Stones did an online poll for one slot each night (it got me "Memory Motel" at one of my shows on a tour where it was not a standard inclusion), and Billy Joel would offer two or three suggestions of slightly deeper cuts each night and let the crowd response decide what was next (which got me a "Summer, Highland Falls" one night). Just one song a night - a treat not only for those in attendance but who those who follow the set lists from afar hoping for some variety and something exciting to seek out on YouTube.

Mike Visco and therebelsell like this.
  25. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

Candlestick on 8/14 is official.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.