MAD MEN -- FINAL Season Official Thread (possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz

Yeah, but just think - it's another whole year for people to complain about how slow Mad Men is. :D

2. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

Any word on DVD release plans? Will the first half of this season come out on DVD before the 2nd half airs? That seems highly unlikely, but then again it would seem weird to wait more than a year between airing the episodes and releasing them on DVD.

3. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I worked for a film/advertising company in the early 70s and Moviola's were still in use. From my experience clients would be shown rough cuts projected in a theater like setting like a mixing studio, never on an editing machine like a Moviola. And most Moviolas were in "Editing" Departments, not in the creative manager's office. And there might be a Steenbeck edit system which was a step up from Moviola.

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

If Breaking Bad is any indication, they will release each half as a separate DVD set and of course still have the gall to charge the same price as a full, regular-length season.

5. Hard Panner

Bump. Anybody?

6. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I couldn't tell, they wouldn't stop talking.

7. Hard Panner

Darn the show on top of the music!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  8. Or 29% of this year's output! 90 minutes (or the length of a short feature film) is too much time to tell us that: Don is in work exile and his marriage is on the rocks; Roger keeps taking his depravity up a notch; Peggy is unhappy; and the firm now has an office in California. I knew all this stuff from Season 6.

For me the only thing of interest to date has been Don and Sally's interaction.

Having said all that, I'm still hanging in there!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  9. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I was really hoping Don would cut out of the restaurant with Sally w/o paying...

Still haven't seen Betty yet!!!

10. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

a company that does ads for movies? doesn't sound like a full service, madison ave. type agency of the '60s as portrayed in Mad Men.

Paul Gumbinner, prez of a recruiting firm servicing agencies, whose father was in the agency biz during this time, has a blog on the business. He cites specifically seeing several company presidents being brought in to view spots on a Movieola.
    http://viewfrommadisonave.blogspot.com/2010/09/real-mad-men.html

you can take it up with him, i guess, but it doesn't strike me as the kind of obvious biz-related detail this show would screw up.

Generally, the president and chairman of the client company were involved in advertising, just as it is portrayed on Mad Men. Consequently, decisions were made quickly. I can remember the presidents of several companies coming into the agency to see a rough-cut of a commercial on a moviola. In fact, my dad retired in the early seventies, but told me one of the major changes taking place was that presidents were slowly becoming uninvolved with the advertising. He thought it was unfortunate. And he proved right in that respect.
    Generally, the president and chairman of the client company were involved in advertising, just as it is portrayed on
    Mad Men. Consequently, decisions were made quickly. I can remember the presidents of several companies coming into the agency to see a rough-cut of a commercial on a moviola. In fact, my dad retired in the early seventies, but told me one of the major changes taking place was that presidents were slowly becoming uninvolved with the advertising. He thought it was unfortunate. And he proved right in that respect.

11. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

Every time I see someone complain about how "nothing's happening" I wonder how they can be a fan of the series in the first place...

matty j, harmonica98, MMM and 5 others like this.
  12. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

The pacing is different between binge-watching on Netflix and following the season in real time. But I love this pacing, and I've always loved slow-paced movies too.

Bryan likes this.
  13. Christopher Hitchens said "Never be a fan". Being a fan means being uncritical, losing the capacity to see clearly, losing the ability to be a contrarian.

alanb likes this.
  14. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

The point is, the quality of an episode has little to do with how much is "happening", the show is character driven, not plot driven...

Rufus McDufus, Hard Panner and ad180 like this.
  15. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I wasn't sure what to think about that scene. Was he tempting her to be "bad" after having to own up to his own failures, and feeling her Betty Jr.-like judgment? Was he wanting to be "bad" after being forced to clean up his act, for the most part?

16. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I was contemplating buying Season 6 on DVD and from reading online reviews, was dismayed to see that Season 6 has no episode commentaries. All the previous seasons had at least one and sometimes 2 commentaries per episode. Does anyone know what might be the reasoning for this omission?

17. Personally I'm not finding the characters very engaging in this new season, regardless of what is or isn't happening. I'm hoping that episode three restores my faith.

18. Hard Panner

^This^

19. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Probably a combination of dwindling DVD sales and them wanting to save the commentaries for the eventual complete series box set.

20. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Sally needs to have a shotgun wedding to Glen that results in half the cast being murdered. That ought to shut up the 'nothing's happening' crowd.

21. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Another great Mad Style. They've noticed some color/costume motifs that make a lot of sense.
    http://tomandlorenzo.com/2014/04/mad-style-a-days-work/

I've seen it suggested that this series might end up being more about Peggy than Don, and some of these observations give credence to that point idea.

22. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I didn't get that either.

23. alanb

alanb Senior Member

That's because usually something does happen and most times, sometimes big things happens.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  24. alanb

alanb Senior Member

Yes and the characters are now spread across two coasts and just dithering around.

Nothing has really happened - apart from Joan getting moved upstairs.
    Most of the characters seem unhappy - some of the characters are black and there's racism afoot etc....

Don - the main character is just swimming around lost it seems.....a once dynamic and decision making guy now seems to be a captain without a ship.....

let's hope No3 gets better.

Mohojo likes this.
  25. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

He was just joking around with his kid, making her think for a second that because he wasn't working that he didn't have any money. He was just trying to lighten the mood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.