Favorite Painting of All Time

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gallileo, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

image.jpg

There is another wonderful candlelight painting by Georges de la Tour (Joseph the Carpenter).

2. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

image.jpg

I thought the perspective was a bit off, but it doesn't seem to be (please excuse my freehand "photoshop" etching). Interesting that the vanishing point is at her left tricep.

Attached Files:

3. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

[​IMG]

Thomas Gainsborough Giovanna Baccelli (exhibited 1782)

Tuco, ruben lopez and junk like this.
  4. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

Adolf Reich (Austrian 1887-1963) image.jpg

Tuco, Scope J, misko and 4 others like this.
  5. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

Haitian artist Simil does some remarkable things.

es055L.jpeg simil.jpg similemilcarj1.jpg

Tuco likes this.
  6. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

One of my favorite Thomas Cole Paintings- The Voyage of Life: Youth

[​IMG]

Andrew, junk, Andy Lee and 1 other person like this.
  7. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

8. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

There is a very interesting book about van Gogh's portraits of Doctor Paul Gachet, Portrait of Dr. Gachet: The Story of a Van Gogh Masterpiece, Money, Politics, Collectors, Greed, and Loss, by Cynthia Saltzman. He did two such portraits. Gachet was a doctor who cared for van Gogh during the last few months of his life. The first version (swirling background) may still hold the record for most expensive painting ever sold at public auction, when its $82.5 million 1990 sales price is adjusted for inflation.

portrait-dr-gachet-story-van-gogh-masterpiece-money-cynthia-saltzman-paperback-cover-art.jpg
    487px-Portrait_of_Dr._Gachet.jpg 498px-Vincent_van_Gogh_-_Dr_Paul_Gachet_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Tuco, zobalob and smilin ed like this.
  9. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Tuco, junk, PennyLanes and 2 others like this.
  10. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

This book by David Hockney is a fascinating argument for the proposition that the Old Masters made liberal use of the camera obscura.

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Knowle...&qid=1398190111&sr=1-8&keywords=david+hockney

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

zobalob and Figbert like this.
  12. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

I came across a youtube video explaining an alternate and to my eyes, more plausible explanation of Vermeer's painting.
    Actually I shouldn't say more plausible because both are possible. However the person presenting makes a convincing case for using two mirrors instead of a camera obscura and he demonstrates how it would be done and how it would look. They have done their homework and the paintings presented demonstrate the theory. I would use it when I draw!

zobalob and Figbert like this.
  13. Michael Prete

Michael Prete Forum Resident

For the most plausible explanation out there, anyone at all interested in the subject should watch Tim's Vermeer. http://sonyclassics.com/timsvermeer/ - an utterly fascinating look at how Vermeer could have utilized a two mirror system in much more convincing way. Both Hockney and Steadman find merit in it. That being said, I'd be the first to argue that mechanical aid in no way diminishes the true genius of Vermeer. The ability to construct the scenes in such an intimate fashion are what really set them apart as masterpieces.

Tuco, carrick doone and Figbert like this.
  14. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

Thank you for those links. Very interesting.

15. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

This is not new info there was already a dvd about Vermeer ,and Hockney was on 60mins of course there's never been another Vermeer, and guys doing copies of Vermeers are missing the point, try doing one without everything
    done already, years ago I did a copy of a Durer woodcut ,and I thought it came out all right at the time ,but it wasn't like I could come up with it from scratch, that's a another thing all together

16. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

Some of this was news to me. Sorry I am not as well informed as you. Can you post a picture of your copy of a Durer woodcut? I would be interested in seeing it.

17. AztecChimera

AztecChimera Forum Resident

One of Caravaggio's many paintings to include a self-portrait (he is the lantern-holder at far right).

I just returned from a vacation to Rome/Sicily/Malta which included the viewing of the following Caravaggios:

Beheading of St. John the Baptist (St. John's Co-Cathedral, Valletta, Malta)
    St. Jerome Writing (St. John's Co-Cathedral)
    Burial of St. Lucy (Santa Lucia alla Badia, Siracusa, Sicily)
    Madonna of the Pilgrims (Sant'Agostino, Rome)
    St. Matthew trilogy (San Luigi dei Francesi, Rome)
    John the Baptist (Galleria Doria Pamphilj, Rome)
    Rest on the Flight to Egypt (Galleria Doria Pamphilj)
    Penitent Magdalene (Galleria Doria Pamphilj)

Unfortunately the Museo Regionale in Messina was closed for repairs, so I missed Adoration of the Shepherds, which I'd previously seen at the Rome Quirinale show in 2010, and The Raising of Lazarus.

While the Beheading is truly remarkable, I give the nod to the St. Matthew Calling and Martyrdom as favorites. Caravaggio uses the chapel space to full effect: in the Calling, a shaft of light comes in from the right, which is the location of the chapel window. In the Martyrdom, a broader light comes in from the left, again from the direction of the window. And in the center Inspiration, the angel appears from above, just below the window; meanwhile the bench upon which the startled Matthew sits falls forward towards the viewer.

The Calling of St. Matthew:
    [​IMG]

The Martyrdom of St. Matthew (another self-portrait appears in the small mournful figure just above the sword's handle):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Tuco, HiFi Guy 008 and sidewinder572 like this.
  18. PNeski@aol.com

well that was years ago, not sure where it is at the moment ,its was just to that point out that making copies is not the same and making a new picture ,and Vermeer was a whole lot more than the camera obscura,

carrick doone likes this.
  19. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

I agree but it is interesting to know the techniques he may have employed and whether such techniques included optical devices.

zobalob likes this.
  20. PNeski@aol.com

you might want to check out that first dvd with Meryl Streep ,they cover a lot and have most of the Painting ,because it was done when most of his painting were at the Washington Gallery for that big show, I got it from Netflix

Figbert likes this.
  21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Tuco likes this.
  22. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

I've only seen three Caravaggio's. Besides 'The Betrayal Of Christ' I've seen...

'The Musicians' (1595)

[​IMG]
    Supposedly the second boy from the right is a self portrait.

and 'The Denial of Saint Peter' (1610)

[​IMG]
    Both are in The Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York
    There are very few Caravaggio's in the US.

If you're a fan of Caravaggio. I highly recommend 'Caravaggio: A Life Sacred and Profane' by Andrew Graham-Dixon

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Tuco and GuildX700 like this.
  23. Figbert

Figbert Forum Resident

24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

25. Gloi

Gloi Forum Resident

This is in our local museum and I've always liked it. "Why War?" by Charles Spencelayh. The blurb says:- Having fought in ‘the war to end all wars’, this First World War veteran sadly contemplates the onset of the Second World War. Near him lies a new gas mask from Lewisham Council and a newspaper covering Chamberlain's abortive mission to make peace with Hitler.
    [​IMG]

Tuco, misko, zobalob and 1 other person like this.