Desperately needing guitar learning methods - please help

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zabrak, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zabrak

zabrak Member Thread Starter

Right,

so basically I'm going to practice the guitar for about 6 hours a day on weekdays (after work starting 6 PM until midnight), and all day on weekends. I would only take breaks when I deserve it (say I master a full Metallica or Zeppelin album, then I'll give myself a few days of leisure time).

However I'll need to have a set schedule to follow, if I want to properly practice the guitar for 6 hours a day throughout the weekdays on all day during the weekends....

...Which is where you guys come in. Can anybody here share me any websites or methods or whatever that you guys used, to learn how to play?

Help would be FANTASTICALLY appreciated bros.

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Ah, the first step to reinventing rock'n'roll :wiggle:

3. Have you got your Telecaster yet? After all, a key step toward learning how to play the guitar is to have a guitar.

4. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

First thing I would ask you:
    Is 6 hours a day realistic? Will you end up hating practicing because of it? Will your social/family life suffer?

My predictions are no, yes, and yes.

Next thing:
    Is there more to what you'd like to accomplish musically besides just hard rock? Any pop, country, or jazz?

One of the keys to an effective practice regimen is making yourself not dislike the process. What you have outlined sounds like a death sentence. Don't make yourself dread getting down that elusive technique. Look for a teacher, and be mindful of which approaches yield the best results.

Dan

5. Macman

Macman Senior Member

almapaul89 and ponkine like this.
  6. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

7. zabrak

yeah I bought a Gibson Les Paul Shred model a while ago, it'll be coming in the mail today. I figure I might as well get routines and what not set in before I get it.

I'll be getting the Fender sometime later this year for sure

8. zabrak

I'm going to discard my social life for the guitar, and I'll be needing to do all of this practicing if I want to be properly great at the guitar by sometime next year, which is the definite goal you know.

I'm trying to have a band properly formed and start playing sometime next year, it could even be summer of 2015 for all I know, I don't know.

And yeah genres, it'd be varying of styles of rock, blues, country, dabbling in jazz etc.

9. Alright, that's a first step for sure. One thing I'll say, if you're looking to change the face of rock, trying to master full classic albums before you've woodshedded on the basics - your scales, chords, keys, etc is (a) a sure way to set yourself up for failure and (b) not a good way to learn anything about music if you don't have some grounding already. I remember guys who took guitar lessons where I did who weren't overly interested in developing their musical vocabulary once they had basic skills, all they wanted to do was learn specific songs and solos. If you asked them to work anything out on their own or improvise? Forget it.

Parvati and onionmaster like this.
  10. larry333

larry333 Forum Resident

Hello,

IMO, by far, the best guitar lesson series is Gibson's "Learn and Master Guitar" hosted by Steve Krenz.

I have it.

Steve's course is known as the most complete course available for learning guitar. It is the winner of the 2011 Acoustic Guitar Magazine ‘Players' Choice’ GOLD Award, two Telly Awards, and an AEGIS Award for Excellence in Education. The lessons are on 20 DVDs, 5 play-along CDs, lesson books, and a student/instructor community website. If you have looked online for guitar courses, you have probably seen a lot of thirty-minute "Learn Guitar Overnight" videos. This is NOT one of those. For someone who really wants to learn to play guitar, Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar provides a series of video guitar lessons that will take you from any skill level, even a total novice, through to advanced levels.
    Check it out here:
    http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=175446&u=395860&m=22286&urllink&afftrack

Larry

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    Scotian likes this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Find either a teacher or a mentor who will teach you some of what they know for free.
    If a teacher/mentor can't provide this for you, then read up on your own on basic music theory, particularly regarding chord progressions, scales and modes.
    Think of it as a language you are trying to learn to speak. The goal isn't to be able to say exactly what someone else said, whether you know what it means or not (which is what you would do if you learned to play guitar parts from someone else's album note for note). The goal is to learn how to express your own ideas in notes.
    Find people to play with rather than just practicing at home on your own.
    If you don't have callouses yet, practicing 6 hours in a day will be detrimental. You need to stop before blisters form each day, or you will have to take a few days off from practicing while they heal.

the dark knight and mogambotek like this.
  12. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

But Steve Vai recommends practicing 10 hours per day. He's written about that in Guitar Player.

13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

But really it is probably best to hold off on all of that until you ascertain what color/thickness/material of guitar pick is best suited to playing an unprecedented new form of indy hard rock. Maybe start a thread and people will make helpful suggestions. I like medium nylon picks in a bright color that's easy to find when I drop them.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hands on always best for purchasing guitars.

the dark knight, Shawn and Rhett like this.
  15. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

You're not going to be "great" after only one year, no matter how much you practice.

Parvati, Shawn, bleachershane and 2 others like this.
  16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Definitely. I've never bought a guitar before feeling the specific instrument it in my hands and hearing it with my ears. One Gibson Les Paul Shred will not sound/feel the same as the next.

the dark knight likes this.
  17. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Nowadays DVDs are more useful than books, IMHO

Haven't seen it, but it seems the 'Intermediate Electric Guitar' DVD box is really good

:wave:

18. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Essential rule #1. Don't focus on lead guitar scales and riffs first. If you do you'll be a technician and not a musician. Learn ALL the chords, where they are up and down the neck. Listen to classic songs and learn how chord sequences form song structures. Then practice tempo and rhythm with simple chord changes so your playing will actually swing and flow. AFTER you understand chord theory and rhythmic technique, you can break them down and see where the single notes are to practice lead playing. Seriously, the biggest mistake young players make is to try to shred solos right away. It's a trap, and you will not be playing the guitar to its potential.

19. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

There is plenty here to keep you busy for the first few months.

http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/guitar_lessons_beginner.html

Start with this lesson. I still warm up with chromatic scales using different variations and string jumps.

20. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

21. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

the dark knight likes this.
  22. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

patrickd likes this.
  23. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I played with a guy a couple years ago who blew me away by nailing the intro lead part on Octopus's Garden, but then I tried to teach him the lead part to I Can't Do That so we could play it together and gave up after about 30 minutes of him not being able to get the rhythm right.

24. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

25. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

If you are intent on daily and lengthy practise consider reading what you can on techniques to avoid strain on your body. Look up Alexander's technique or other types of therapies to avoid muscle strain or injury. I ended up needed some therapy for my shoulder when I tried to learn the guitar with a strap. My body reacted to the adjustments to the difference in arm positioning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.