Do You Like Santana?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BLUESJAZZMAN, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People Thread Starter

When I need to just chill.....Santana are my turn to band.

Very original , very soothing and very real. They mix up most of my musical tastes into a tidy little package so they give me great satisfaction.

I notice they don't get as much attention as others on the SHMF....Your thought's?

EdgardV, Mal and mick_sh like this.
  2. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Oh yes indeed. Going to see him for the first time later this year. Great chill music (the mid period stuff), also great summer music (the early stuff).

JimSpark and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  3. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

great band. seen them many times. been listening to them since the first release in 69.

762rob and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I didn't particularly care for them when I was younger, but about fifteen years ago, I turned onto their classic stuff--Abraxas, III and particularly Caravanserai, which is my go to Santana release. I love their distinctive, exotic take on that cool jazz fusion sound. Their live album, Lotus, is outstanding as well.

BD2665, footlooseman, pscreed and 4 others like this.
  5. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

I love the first 3 albums and the live stuff from that era. After that, nope.

6. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I liked Santana up until Zebop. After that, I really lost interest. The Santana Live at the Fillmore 1968 is excellent.

7. Jiri Smahel

Jiri Smahel Forum Resident

I like Santana generally, not specific record. What I find interesting about him is his sound and percussion stuff.

ian christopher and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  8. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

that's mainly my era too although i do like a lot of the later stuff. i saw them in 1971 when neal schon was in the band. amazing show. booker t. and priscilla were the support group.

9. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

This sums it up for me although Blues for Salvador and Milagro had some decent tunes on them. He's been riding that Supernatural wave far too long.

footlooseman, Todd W. and GodShifter like this.
  10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I'll tell ya, he still puts on one heck of a great live show these days.

11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Santana is a major source of spiritual nourishment - eat up!

:)

jerrygene, Terry, pscreed and 2 others like this.
  12. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

The last Santana show I saw with the ABB was probably the best I have ever seen him in 35 years. Watching him play A Love Supreme with Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes was pretty amazing. I only wish he still played his Les Paul. Unfortunately, he is touring with Rod Stewart which I find pretty appalling.

13. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Great band! Love their stuff, particularly "Caravanserai" and "Lotus" (one of the best live albums around).

14. Matty

Matty Senior Member

Can't say that I do. After several decades of not particularly loving the Santana stuff I heard on the radio, I embarked on a Santana Immersion Project a few years ago; I borrowed a bunch of their albums from a family member and the local library and listened regularly for about a month (it was mostly stuff from the 1970-77 period). Alas, I didn't come away a fan. I enjoyed stray tracks, and occasionally an entire album (Abraxas most notably), but the jams and instrumentals rarely transported me, and the songwriting was too often inconsistent, even during their 70s heyday.

I can't deny that Carlos has a unique, immediately identifiable sound and an admirably adventurous spirit, but it's unlike at this point that I'll ever love his music. (But I'll give it a spin occasionally just in case something clicks...)

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  15. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

I couldn't get into his works in my angsty 20's.

Put on "Supernatural" the other day and was floored at the overall feel/melody/rhythm. I still have a great deal of the angst I had in my 20's and early 30's, but this album strikes a chord inside of me when I'm ready to downtune and disassociate from the angst inside.

16. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Just the instrumental stuff - the songs only annoy me. Nothing I've heard post-1974 has impressed me.

17. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Yes, I like the first three albums best. Back in the time when "Santana" was the name of a band. His later stuff has been hit and miss but it's always listenable.

ibanez_ax and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I love the first three in particular but like most stuff up to Zebop. The Supernatural era I find to be abhorrent.

Opeth likes this.
  19. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Totally agree, and we will also be seeing him for the first time this summer (with Rod Stewart).

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  20. clayton

clayton Senior Member

I quite listening after Moonflower, up to that point I liked everything the band did

Opeth and Lonson like this.
  21. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Don't listen on a regular basis anymore, but I always go back to Santana eventually and love most everything he's done. That song he did with Michele Branch a few years ago is my favorite summer ear-worm, just makes me happy every time I hear it.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  22. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Thankfully Steve Winwood made my going to this show worthwhile.

footlooseman likes this.
  23. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Going to see him this saturday at Chastain in Atlanta.
    Viva Santana!!

BLUESJAZZMAN and mick_sh like this.
  24. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Just bought Abraxas last week. Now I know why my brother always hid the album cover from me way back when.
    Cd sounds like crap, but love the songs.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  25. LavidDange

LavidDange Forum Resident

80's killed Santana's sound. Then they wanted a very large pop music spotlight the rest of the way. Check their discography ratings to see the late 70's drop
    and their struggles from there out:

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/santana-mn0000295756/discography

Before the decline? Awesome band. Fantastic album that few talk about is Love Devotion Surrender with McLaughlin.

Still put on a great live show when I saw them in '07.

mooseman, GuildX700 and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.