For CAKE fans -- RSD boxed set news

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ghostworld, Mar 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I've listened to Motorcade and its got a great deal of surface noise and other static. I can see about a dozen little 'dots' in the yellow vinyl. That could be horns from the plating process. Not sure... There are also a few 'rough' spots, not scratches, on both sides. Don't know what caused that.

I will say that they are NOT pressed at United. That plant's marker is a tiny U inside of a circle. Its not on these records.

Right now I'm listening to Prolonging the Magic and it sounds great. No problems at all. Much better than Motorcade.

2. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Do the matrix numbers happen to start with an 'S'?

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

FOR THOSE WHO ENCOUNTERED OVERPRICED RSD BOX SETS

I wrote Cake about some of the prices encountered for the box set on RSD ($250!)and they requested to PLEASE email them the name of the record stores that charged more than $129. Cake says the stores were under strict agreement to charge NO MORE than $125. This does NOT include ebay flippers, just official RSD outlets. Here is the address to email the name of stores to so this won't happen again: [email protected] Thomas has been great answering questions about the box set for over a year. He's a good guy.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  4. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Anyone have any idea when this will be offered for sale (i.e., non-RSD versions)? I received an e-mail from Cake on Sunday about a getting a pop-up link for ordering the box set, but haven't received said link yet .... must. Have.

5. Ghostworld

No, still waiting for the link myself.

Preston likes this.
  6. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

No, thank God. was one of first things I looked for

Ghostworld and Reese like this.
  7. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Nope... they aren't pressed at Rainbo either.. they have a very tiny marking that looks like a person's name.. maybe the mastering engineer. I'm not home now to see it.. but.. to reduce the guessing.. there doesn't look like any pressing plant code. So, I don't know where they were done.

8. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

I'm really glad to hear Cake is doing this. Somebody needs to take a stand against price gouging. But.. I can't rat out my store. They treat me VERY GOOD everyday and especially on all RSD product and don't really overcharge. I paid close to cost for my items. Most people around here have been paying $5-10 more than I did on every item for their entire purchase. One forum member was calculated about a total of $130 more than others for their entire haul. A $710 total that was $130 overpriced. That's a big jump.

Really.. my store charged $10 more than Cake set at $125. I don't think it warrants it. But.. some people were hit with $175 and upwards.. that's ridiculous.

Ghostworld and groovelocked like this.
  9. Ghostworld

$10 more. Naw, that's not bad. Stocking fee!

groovelocked likes this.
  10. groovelocked

How I feel too. $14 over was worth every penny, I ain't squealin' and I doubt the 7 others will either, this is an awesome store/store owner.

11. nelsorp

nelsorp Well-Known Member

a friend just sent me this link. it works, or at least it processed through PayPal. Wonder why they are waiting until tomorrow to email it out? Where'd you find that out?

groovelocked and wbhendrix like this.
  12. williaty

williaty Forum Resident

Yeah, I just made an order through it as well. Here's hoping!

groovelocked likes this.
  13. groovelocked

it was posted on the 'vinyl collective' forum. a couple mention getting emails back from the company when inquiring about their order.

14. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

thanks! just ordered!

15. groovelocked

maybe they are letting this filter out to ease the rush once the email link goes out.
    it's also now on their facebook where someone asks if the link is real

16. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

ordered!

17. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

...and now that question has been deleted from their facebook page. Seems like if it was fake, they would have said so.

groovelocked likes this.
  18. Jim in Houston

Jim in Houston The Godfather of Alt-Country & Punk

ordered, haven't gotten email confirmation yet, nervous now. The way-a-ting is the hardest part...

groovelocked likes this.
  19. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

I'm not sure why a Texas company would only charge sales tax to Washington state addresses either. Pushes the cost up to $148. Dang!

groovelocked likes this.
  20. williaty

williaty Forum Resident

Nexus. If any facility related to that business entity is located in WA, then the company has nexus in WA and must pay WA state sales tax. So a retail location, warehouse, phone answering center, etc. It takes VERY little to end up with nexus in another state because the states are so hungry to ding you for tax dollars.

groovelocked likes this.
  21. groovelocked

I believe this set is still an incredible bargain at 150. :thumbsup:

tyler928 likes this.
  22. tyler928

tyler928 Forum Resident

From one of their pages:
    Please note: Washington state addresses will be assessed sales tax.

I understand the whole facility in your state thing, I was just wondering why WA was singled out. I would think that a company with telephone numbers and addresses in TX would require TX addresses to also be assessed sales tax. C'est la vie.

23. Lost Monkey

Lost Monkey Forum Resident

Shipping to Canada is $59.99 - I was told by their manager it would be $35. I am not concerned about that though - it is still a better price than I was willing to pay on RSD...

....and ordered. Finally! I am excited about getting this box.

groovelocked likes this.
  24. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I think I will play it safe and wait until I receive the link via e-mail or until it's on their website.

groovelocked likes this.
  25. williaty

williaty Forum Resident

Well, my order is now marked Ready to Ship. I placed the order about 1300 EDT.

groovelocked likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.