Game of Thrones Season 4 thread (starts Sunday, April 13 2014)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by marblesmike, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

That's been the only scene in the entire series where I left the room.

2. I haven't read the books so I don't know (and don't want to), but I sure hope this isn't the end for Tyrion. Peter Dinklage is a joy to watch in the role, what an amazing actor.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That was Ramsay, not Roose.

I don't see how the Jaime/Cersei thing is that uncomfortable. The whole concept of it was introduced as early as the first episode or so where Bran is pushed from the tower.

4. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I don't think the incest aspect is that is uncomfortable. Depending on who you ask, it's either that it was rape (apparently it was consensual in the books), or that they did it under the body of their dead son.

At one point, I was expecting the body of Joffrey to tumple off of the pedestal and on top of them.

5. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Uh..yes, to all of that, basically.

The dismemberment wasn't shown on screen. I am not interested in arguing which horrible act of violent brutality is horribler, just that the actual experience of watching RAPE is like the worst thing, emotionally. I mean I'm not talking about the graphic nature of a visual or anything, I'm not talking about like blood and guts kind of stuff, I mean the shock/horror/wtf of it all.
    The twincest corpse son nearby also made it worse.

Theon's fate was not a shock. It was more like "well yeah we saw this coming," no? Not because I read the book but because he was already being TORTURED and cock-teased and, whatever, cock-tortured. It was just the terribly inevitable endgame of that whole ordeal.

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Another average episode. Where is Bran's direwolf??

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  7. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Likely captured by those goons.

I thought it was interesting. The ending apparently unveiled information that even book readers didn't know about!

8. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I thought both Summer and Ghost were shown caged toward the end of the episode. However I had had an ale or three by that time so my memory is unreliable at best. I'll have to rewatch tonight with a clearer head.

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Ser Pounce!!!!!

I'm predicting he ends up on the Iron Throne in the end.

agentalbert and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  10. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I don't believe Summer was shown caged, but since he fell into the mutineers' trap, I think it reasonable to assume that's where he ended up.

11. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Yep. Beyond that, though, as a book reader, it struck me that this episode might prove to be a real turning point, the moment that the show truly struck out in its own direction. I can't think of another episode that explored so much new territory, and set up so many future plot divergences. And if the quality of this episode is any indication of the wisdom of that decision, I'm all for it.

If we lived in a world where a 10+ season run was feasible, the kid actors didn't age, costs didn't steadily escalate, and George RR Martin's writing output was able to outpace the show, I'd be all for a fully faithful adaptation. But as it stands, I think it was inevitable the tv show would have to go it own way (while still embracing important plot developments from the books where possible) and I'm excited to see where it leads.

Scotian, Pete Puma and GodShifter like this.
  12. marblesmike

If you're referring to Bran's storyline in particular, I think such little happens with him in the books so they need to add (inconsequential) things to the show for him so he doesn't disappear for entire seasons.

13. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I agree. It's exciting knowing there are plot developments that will be a complete surprise.

Last night, my wife made us each a big bowl of brown! Only difference is ours was very nutritious and tasted great.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

What? She doesn't love you enough for a feast of fried capons, salt beef, and lamprey pie?

rswitzer likes this.
  15. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

In part, yes. But, for example, the new Bran storyline seems likely to collide with the new Jon storyline. And that creates a new storyline of its own. This episode seems to have laid a lot of pipe for the creators to take the story in their own direction, at least in part.

GodShifter likes this.
  16. marblesmike

I think it's just filler to have something happen with those characters until the main stuff occurs at the end of the season.

17. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Best moments from last night:

1. Margaery "seducing" Tommen, but not really with sexy, but kinda. Brilliantly played by character and actor.
    2. The end credits- where you can still hear the baby and the crackling of it turning into an ice frost zombie wizard thingy! Ew!

18. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Many divergences from the book, but I'm not one to grumble that the two don't match. The writers are staying true to the spirit of the characters, which is the important thing.

19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought it was fun to see the writers of the show take a totally different turn from the books. It was refreshing, quite honestly. That said, I have been totally underwhelmed by almost every episode so far. The 'hype' for this season was things "start off with a bang". Outside of Joffrey dying, it's been pretty 'meh'.

Also: how much sense does it make for Jon to be leading an expedition to Craster's Keep when The Night's Watch knows an attack on the wall and Castle Black is imminent? Also, why is Locke (the series version of Vargo Hoat) at Castle Black? Has he been sent there by the Bolton's to assassinate Jon (speculation -- not a spoiler)?

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Roose Bolton sent him north a couple of episodes ago to find out whether Jon was hiding Bran and Rickon. I liked the way he just unobtrusively appeared among the recruits.

Jon wants to eliminate the mutineers at Craster's Keep because a) they are traitors who killed Lord Mormont and b) he is worried they will reveal how poorly manned the Wall is to Mance Rayder's army. But the whole plotline seems to be a device to have Jon and Bran meet again, which would be a HUGE departure from Martin... it's a departure that Sam even told Jon he had seen them.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    GodShifter likes this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I missed where Bolton sent him. Thanks.

Agree about the huge departures. I think it's working well. Hopefully they'll deviate greatly with Bran's storyline, as I hated it in the books.

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They had the problem of being ahead of themselves with Bran -- now that he's north of the Wall his story is already beyond where it ends in book 3. (And he's not the only character in that situation.) So I guess they've invented this to slow it down.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  23. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

I must have missed it but where is Osha?

24. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Osha and Rickon are off somewhere. We haven't seen them yet this season.

25. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

Also Theon's sister went off on a quest to save him last season but I don't think we've seen any of that yet?

dkmonroe and Bender Rodriguez like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.