Game - "The DEEP PURPLE Family Showdown"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Anthrax, Jun 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

DEEP PURPLE - Bananas

2. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

I'm glad to finally get the chance to vote for 'Bananas'.
    I don't know how popular it is - somehow I don't think there is much love for it - but I enjoy it very much.
    It is probably the most commercial album they have ever done, perhaps in an attempt to get some airplay of new material.
    (And if that was the case they failed and caused them to write the song 'MTV' which is on the following album).
    The album has some excellent tracks, great lyrics here and there and the band is (again) in excellent shape.
    There are also a few tracks I am not that crazy about, like the title track where Ian Paice goes from off-beat to on-beat (or whatever it's called) a couple of times and that doesn't work for me - but each to his own.
    There are some good rockers, like 'House Of Pain', and the power-ballad-of-the-year 'Haunted' has no other than the splendid Beth Hart on backing vocals - who can top that?
    The sound of the album is nice and pleasant but the whole thing is compressed much too much and there are even static clicks here and there - also on the replacement copies I go so they must be in the mastering.
    The next album was even more compressed with even more static clicks and it made me wonder what the people at the recording studio were thinking during these years.
    Even I, being a complete amateur, would never had slipped out something with such errors but that is another story.
    Anyroad, 'Bananas' is a very enjoyable and entertaining album and despite I have never liked the cover, nor the title, (I guess I just don't understand it) my vote goes for that.

3. zen

zen Senior Member

Bananas!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Bananas for me, too.

5. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident Thread Starter

I like Bananas well enough, it's varied, real entertaining and fun. Sun Goes Down, Haunted and the title track are still big favourites of mine. The one downside that I heard from the beginning was Don's Hammond sound, almost but not quite there. He'd fit in much better next time around. (And for the record, I never ever had a single problem with the cover or title. It's always surprised me how much it can put people off.)

In comparison, HTP2 had a much bigger impact with me. Great stuff, bags of energy, wonderful guitar and those voices made it a winner. To this day I still play it, whereas Bananas has fallen by the wayside and rarely gets an airing, especially in light of how good its successors have been.

So my vote goes to HTP2 without a doubt.

zen likes this.
  6. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

Bananas
    i was surprised what DP was able to put together after all this years.

7. zen

zen Senior Member

Perhaps, no sense of humor; or it's the wrong kind of humor. Maybe it touches a nerve. Exposing reality, or being too honest can be a turn off. I personally thought it was a work of art much like the Beatles butcher cover.

8. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

HTP

"Bananas" is without question my least favorite Deep Purple studio album.

9. Akhorahil

Akhorahil Well-Known Member

After listening to both of the records again yesterday, here is my vote:

Hughes Turner Project - HTP2. It's more or less the same as HTP and thus it has the same positive and negative attributes ( see my comments on HTP).

Deep Purple - Bananas. I found this to be a better record from the Blackmore-less period of DP. Sadly, it's also Lord-less and it shows, i.e. the keys are the weakest part of the this record. Steve Morse, Roger Glover, and Ian Paice are very solid throughout the record. The best part of this record for me is Ian Gillan's singing, it's very dominating on every track. My favorite track is "Picture of Innocence".

My vote, therefore, goes to Bananas.

Rapid Fire and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  10. Anthrax

(sorry for the delay guys, a lot of things are happening lately)

Last call for part 2!

11. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

I never understood or liked the 'Bananas' cover.
    I am, however, a big fan of The Beatles (surprise-surprise on this board) and now when you compare the 'Bananas' cover with The Beatles' butcher cover it begins to make sense to me.
    I think I am about to get the idea.
    Thanks a lot.

zen likes this.
  12. Anthrax

In the end Bananas had a better balance of positive votes, and so Deep Purple edge Hughes for the 2003 slot.

WINNERS

2000. Return Of Crystal Karma - GLENN HUGHES
    2001. Building The Machine - GLENN HUGHES
    2002. Snapshot - ROGER GLOVER
    2003. Bananas - DEEP PURPLE

STANDINGS

1. DEEP PURPLE [+81]
    2. RITCHIE BLACKMORE [+13]
    3. ROD EVANS [-14]
    4. ROGER GLOVER [-29]
    5. IAN PAICE [-39]
    6. TOMMY BOLIN [-46]
    7. JON LORD [-46]
    8. NICK SIMPER [-74]
    9. GLENN HUGHES [-79]
    10. IAN GILLAN [-94]
    11. DAVID COVERDALE [-123]
    12. STEVE MORSE [-203]

13. Anthrax

Moving on to 2004, here are the contenders (except for one which shall appear on next round):

LIVING LOUD - Living Loud (2004)
    [​IMG]

BLACKMORE'S NIGHT - Once In A Million Years + Christmas Songs (2004)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

JON LORD - Beyond The Notes (2004)
    [​IMG]

Let's vote!

14. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Jon Lord-Beyond The Notes

15. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

No argument, Jon by a landslide. Beyond The Notes is a beautiful piece of work...

16. liboriofriki

liboriofriki Forum Resident

Jon Lord-Beyond The Notes

17. zen

zen Senior Member

Another vote for Jon Lord's Beyond The Notes.

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Living Loud looks intriguing if it wasn't for the presence of Jimmy Barnes.

19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

JON LORD - Beyond The Notes.

20. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

LIVING LOUD - Living Loud

And it's not even close. I love this record, still play it often today. And Jimmy Barnes does fine here, what's the concern?

21. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

Blackmore's Night is easy, though: Forgettaboutit!
    I like Steve Morse's playing on 'Living Loud' but it sounds as if he's pulling every guitar-lick out of the hat to make the whole thing work.
    And not all versions of these songs are that good - but still, I do like his playing.
    Jon Lord's 'Beyond The Notes' is a very beautiful piece of work all the way through so my vote goes to mr. Lord.

22. Jim Foy

Jim Foy Forum Resident

Is Jon Lord the winner of this round or are we still waiting for more votes?
    If so, can I still place another vote for 'Bananas'? ;)

23. Anthrax

Another vote here for Beyond The Notes.

Living Loud was something I listened to at the time but forgot about and never came back to it. And the two new Blackmore's Night tracks did nothing for me; the other two christmas tracks were good, however, but not enough to steal my vote from Lord's magnificent album.

There is a DVD called Beyond The Notes Live that every fan of the album should have. Brilliant performance.

24. Anthrax

Last call for 2004.

25. Anthrax

I must apologise for the snail's pace of the thread lately. There's a lot of family stuff going on (and not the good kind... ugh) and I've had to prioritise. Slowly but surely we'll carry on, regardless.

In the meantime... the latest offerings from DP's banjo players didn't bother Lord's Beyond The Notes, who took the round easily. We'll pencil the album in on the list while we wait for the next result, as the last of 2004 will battle the first of 2005 in the upcoming match.

WINNERS

2000. Return Of Crystal Karma - GLENN HUGHES
    2001. Building The Machine - GLENN HUGHES
    2002. Snapshot - ROGER GLOVER
    2003. Bananas - DEEP PURPLE
    2004. Beyond The Notes - JON LORD

STANDINGS

1. DEEP PURPLE [+81]
    2. RITCHIE BLACKMORE [+5]
    3. ROD EVANS [-14]
    4. ROGER GLOVER [-29]
    5. IAN PAICE [-39]