Need help selecting tube gear

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Yardley, Apr 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yardley

Yardley New Member Thread Starter

I think I've settled on a Fisher KX-100. It has the looks and functionality including a headphone jack. Problem is I can't find one anywhere! haha

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Good speaker which is efficient, tube friendly, and nice sounding would the the Dynaco A 25. Which I run with my Fisher 800-C.

OldCoder likes this.
  3. Yardley

I saw a pair locally for around 200 bucks. Not sure if they'll fit in my bookshelf though. Anything similar but with a more modern look?

I'm actually watching an 800-C on ebay right now, how's the phono stage on it?

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Phono stage is decent with MM and MI. Not the best but not bad either. I will eventually get a external phono preamp out of storage, I have an old Stanton broadcast model I could use.

5. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I had the phono stage in my 400 modded by 'audiodon' on AudioKarma for improved performance. The stock design has an upper bass bump in the RIAA that gives it a sort of boomy quality, like an old console hifi. After Don did his magic, it sounds quite spectacular, with very flat frequency response.

6. Yardley

Nice, what would something like that cost? Where is he located?

7. action pact

Don is in the next town from me, Arlington, MA (which is very convenient!). Unfortunately he told me that he's booked solid with projects until next year...

You might also want to contact "dcgillespie" (Dave Gillespie) on AK, he's another top Fisher guru who should be able to upgrade/service your Fisher. He hangs out a lot here: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=172

8. Yardley

Thanks

9. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

That might be a tipoff......

10. Yardley

Just picked up a Tube Audio Design TAD-60! Super excited, not exactly what I wanted but the folks over at AK have nothing but good things to say about it and I got an insane deal on it!

11. action pact

Congrats!

12. Yardley

Thanks!

13. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

Do it. Do it NOW. And if you don't please put me in touch with the seller so I can purchase it.

For $950, even if unrestored, you can easily resell for a very nice profit. If restored and in good working condition, you will have an amp that can stay with you for many years to come, and survive multiple upgrades. Pair it with a Conrad Johnson preamp, or VanAlstine rebuilt Dyan PAS3 and you are set.

14. Yardley

SOLD I waited too long! However the TAD-60 is supposed to VERY close according to a few who have A/B'ed them. I do need a preamp though. Thinking about going for the Project Tube Box S for now, als trying to see if the YAQIN MS-23B is any better. Don't have the dough for something better right now. Also something like the PAS3 is very large, don't have the space either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.