Desperately needing guitar learning methods - please help

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zabrak, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

bleachershane and Naughty Chord like this.
  2. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Can I recommend a cover song, done in a whole new way, by your band?

Desperado

3. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

God almighty, the guy just doesn't know when to stop even when he's practicing.

4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Well played sir !

He messaged me also and everyone else probably. He was friendly and it was before I got the joke so I gave a serious response.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  5. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I desperately play bass guitar if needed for the band. There is an 8 hours time difference between here and Oregon so we will need to work out if those 6 hours of practice can be put in while I sleep or if I need to be awake. What do you think?

Lownotes likes this.
  6. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Captain Beefheart's 10 Commandments of Guitar Playing
    [​IMG]
    1. Listen to the birds.
    That's where all the music comes from. Birds know everything about how it should sound and where that sound should come from. And watch hummingbirds. They fly really fast, but a lot of times they aren't going anywhere.

2. Your guitar is not really a guitar Your guitar is a divining rod.
    Use it to find spirits in the other world and bring them over. A guitar is also a fishing rod. If you're good, you'll land a big one.

3. Practice in front of a bush
    Wait until the moon is out, then go outside, eat a multi-grained bread and play your guitar to a bush. If the bush dosen't shake, eat another piece of bread.

4. Walk with the devil
    Old Delta blues players referred to guitar amplifiers as the "devil box." And they were right. You have to be an equal opportunity employer in terms of who you're bringing over from the other side. Electricity attracts devils and demons. Other instruments attract other spirits. An acoustic guitar attracts Casper. A mandolin attracts Wendy. But an electric guitar attracts Beelzebub.

5. If you're guilty of thinking, you're out
    If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something that is fur bearing.

6. Never point your guitar at anyone
    Your instrument has more clout than lightning. Just hit a big chord then run outside to hear it. But make sure you are not standing in an open field.

7. Always carry a church key
    That's your key-man clause. Like One String Sam. He's one. He was a Detroit street musician who played in the fifties on a homemade instrument. His song "I Need a Hundred Dollars" is warm pie. Another key to the church is Hubert Sumlin, Howlin' Wolf's guitar player. He just stands there like the Statue of Liberty-making you want to look up her dress the whole time to see how he's doing it.

8. Don't wipe the sweat off your instrument
    You need that stink on there. Then you have to get that stink onto your music.

9. Keep your guitar in a dark placeWhen you're not playing your guitar, cover it and keep it in a dark place. If you don't play your guitar for more than a day, be sure you put a saucer of water in with it.

10. You gotta have a hood for your engine
    Keep that hat on. A hat is a pressure cooker. If you have a roof on your house, the hot air can't escape. Even a lima bean has to have a piece of wet paper around it to make it grow.

Ntotrar, Agent57, maxnix and 5 others like this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I thought I was the only one he PMd.
    Yeah he caught me off guard. However, like I said, he knew a little too much about guitars and guitar related stuff for a beginner. Oh well.

8. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

He's planning a custom guitar job on a guitar that hasn't even arrived yet, which he hasn't learn how to play as yet...
    Okay, I'm really quite bored with all this. It's insulting my intelligence and logic!

9. Music Geek

The Marshall Aid custom job will be a knock out for the European tour. Perhaps you can find a Shock And Awe one for the Middle East tour?

Rose River Bear likes this.
  10. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

It sounds like you're getting... desperate. :p

bleachershane likes this.
  11. Wow, how can you even consider actually practicing your guitar without having a thorough discussion of what guitar strap will help revolutionize music, let alone guitar strings and a tuner?

I'm thoroughly disappointed.

12. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

To start with I recommend playing open E major constantly for at least 3 hours a day for perhaps 3 months. You have to get that sound in your hands and ears. Then move to A minor.

Shawn, bleachershane and GuildX700 like this.
  13. Music Geek

You mean desperately disappointed.

Shawn and bleachershane like this.
  14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I just hope he knows if he buys a double neck guitar it'll take twice as long to learn to play. Documented fact.

15. If only his girlfriend was named Susan...

Susan.jpg

16. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

Cue the Scott Joplin music...

Satchidananda likes this.
  17. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

Has he booked the Meadowlands yet? Sometimes you have to schedule a couple of years in advance.

18. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

19. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Reason #412,365 that the Internet should be deleted.

bleachershane and Fullbug like this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Get a cheap guitar that goes out tune. Thick neck for your hands to wrestle with. Use heavy gauge strings. Stick with it for five years. Learn chord shapes/riffs.. Pose in the mirror. Then progress to dream guitar. You'll find your fingers gliding over the strings like butter, so easy now to emulate all your fave guitarists style.

21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Mmmmnnn....plays like butter...........

22. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Andy Kaufman is laughing.

Dan

23. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I think he's just letting us know that they have internet connection at The Home.

24. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

Next two threads: "Which strings should I use?" and "Recommend me some headphones for practicing at night". Or did he already ask that?

25. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Where'd he go? We need updates!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.