NuForce U192S USB to SPDIF interface/converter.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ntotrar, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident Thread Starter

I needed a USB to SPDIF converter to play my 24/192 and 24/88.2 ALAC files. Gave the NuForce a try and for $50 bucks from Amazon it can't be beat.

Apple Macbook pro i7 > NuForce U192S > Rega DAC

Sounds great.

gloomrider likes this.
  2. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I have a Ross Martin PCM1794A DAC that I've been wanting to try with USB. This is the ticket!!

3. Ntotrar

Don't forget to download the NuForce drivers.

4. gloomrider

Oops! Thanks for pointing that out. I prefer USB Audio Class 2 compliance (no drivers needed for Mac and Linux). I've had my eye on the Hiface 2 for that reason. I guess because it costs as much as a Dragonfly 1.2 I've never pulled the trigger.

5. Ntotrar

HiFace 2 is not Mavericks compliant. The driver install fixed the occasional weird sound. I'm ok with this. All "upper" level NuForce DACs use the same drivers.

6. gloomrider

Are you certain about Hiface 2 and Mavericks? I'm aware of the M2Tech debacle with Mavericks, and I remember reading that the original Hiface is affected by that, but the Hiface 2 has always been "driverless" with Mac OS due to USB Audio Class 2 compliance. In fact, you'll find no Mac drivers on the M2Tech website for the Hiface 2 (but there are drivers for the original Hiface except of course Mavericks).

7. Ntotrar

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  8. Ntotrar

The NuForce has been flawless since adding the drivers. It also has bit rate indicators that satisfy my OCD as far as sample rate is concerned.

Just read the PDF manual for the HiFace 2 and no warnings are included.

Edit: I won't likely swap the converter at this point.

9. gloomrider

Hiface 2 isn't on that list. I think the issue is that all the devices on that list use the same USB modem. I'm pretty confident Hiface 2 is OK again due to USB Audio Class 2 compliance. That whole driver issue is a train wreck so epic that it may actually end M2Tech. And it's the reason I insist on driverless USB DACs.

10. Ntotrar

I don't mind adding drivers if the cause is right. I think you may be correct about HF 2! But if it's the end of M2tech I might just be better off with the NuForce. It really sounds good with the Rega in spite of needing a proprietary driver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.