your favorite song nobody's ever heard of

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JohnG, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I LOVE Split Enz and I'm also a big fan of Crowded House and Neil Finn's solo work.

For the Enz, the first song of theirs that I ever heard was "One Step Ahead". It was totally different than anything I was hearing on the radio at the time. Actually, I never heard it on the radio, MTV would actually play the video now and then.

Dan C

2. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Anybody else know "Oliver Tweak (The Stone Freak)" by Michael P. Whalen?

3. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

How 'bout "Somebody Finked To The Fuzz (And We All Got Busted)" by Fred Engelberg?

4. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Two from Down Under

"Forever" by Boom Crash Opera
    "Live it Up" by Mental as Anything

Peace
    Norm

5. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

You probably will have to get an Australian import to get a good Split Enz comp. The 11-track US compilation actually is a holdover from vinyl days.

I don't know if it's still true, but in the US, Split Enz' rights were split between Chrysalis (first two albums) and A&M (later material starting with "I Got You"). I'm not sure if the twain have ever meet here. Today Chrysalis is in the EMI-Capitol fold and A&M is in Universal.

As with Dan C, the first Split Enz song I ever heard was "One Step Ahead," and the only place I ever heard it was MTV. I later grabbed onto "I Got You," which is a wonderful song.

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

If I Say It, It's So-Nils Lofgren
    That Acapulco Gold-The Rainy Daze
    When The Spell Is Broken-Richard Thompson

7. teaser5

When the Spell is Broken~Richard Thompson

One of the best songs in the history of the world IMO.
    It's perfect: Amazing lyrics, mind blowing guitar work and as soulful a delivery as is humanly possible unless your name is Aretha Franklin
    If you have never heard this song you need to hear it today
    Excellent call
    Peace
    Norm

Cassiel likes this.
  8. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Thanks, Norm!

Saw RT do this song in 1986 at a local club, and it was incredible! The whole album Across A Crowded Room is a highpoint of his career(Todd Fredericks, you should get this album). Unfortunately, OOP at the present time(as is his other Polydor album, Daring Adventures).

9. teaser5

Richard Thompson

I don't want to hijack the thread but I just think the guy is the best.
    I have seen him a number of times both solo and with a band.
    One of the best concerts I have ever seen was with Thompson, John Hiatt and Roger McGuinn; just three guys with acoustic guitars (McGuinns of course a twelve string Rick) Love his stuff. I missed ex-wife Linda's recent stop in town but heard it was amazing. Always liked her stuff and the stuff they did together. Fantastic!

Peace
    Norm

10. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

tim_neely, Rain is still a very well known song at least here in Europe. And a very good one too.

11. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

It's a great song, one of two great songs I know of that put the children's nursery rhyme to good use -- the one that starts "It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring." (The other song is "It's Raining Again" by Supertramp.) I don't think I've heard it on the radio since 1969, but it stuck with me all these years, and I finally found a 45 of it in 1991.

12. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Hoping That You're Hoping - The Louvin Brothers

13. Peter D

Peter D Forum Resident

I believe both albums are currently available as UK imports from BGO. Or at least they were as of a few months ago.

Incidentally, I love AACR too -- it was my first Thompson album, which I bought unheard based on an enthusiastic review from Steve Simels in Stereo Review. (Thanks, Mr. Simels, wherever you are!) I kinda wish Thompson had stuck with Joe Boyd as his producer rather than switching over to Mitchell Froom.

But back to the topic of favorite obscure song...I'll put in a word for "Jilted John," by Jilted John. A late 70 UK single that straddles the previously unknown line between punk and broadway show tunes.

14. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

In 1995 there was a beautiful young lady named Tia that had a song called "Slip n Slide" that I broke here in Baton Rouge. Got some play in a few other Louisiana cities.. but that was about it. Really great dance song. Lots of innuendos!!!

15. Kym

Kym Former Resident

"If That's The Way That You Want It" - Diamond Head (1973)

16. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Hey Kym: I know that song!!!;) :thumbsup: :D

17. Martineaux

Martineaux New Member

Great tune, originally done by Larry & The Mondellos out of Olympia

18. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

"Nuit" by Fredericks, Goldman, Jones which I first heard on "Whispering" Bob Harris old BBC Radio 1 show around 1990, it enchanted me then and has done ever since.

19. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Mmm- a thread AND post from about 4 years before I began to use the Internet! :D

But I think that's a reasonably well known song - and the chorus where is sounds like he's pinching his nose while singing is fantastic. ;) I've had this track on a number of compilations and it's just the whole thing- the production, the imagery of the lyrics and the instrumentation. Wonderful.

I can't think of one that NOBODY had ever heard of. How would it be possible? :confused: A few obscurities, maybe. Fro example I've never seen this band mentioned of the forum... they were 'Mod Revivalists' (definitely inspired by The Who and out at the time of the film version of Quadrophenia) the song is about banal celebrity, one would assume. The thing that's always appealed to me though, is the band are really cooking here and the interplay between the guitar and trumpet is stunning. The album it's taken from 'Glory Boys' is a forgotten British minor classic IMO. I love the album and most of all, this track.

20. John54

John54 Senior Member

I bet I could list quite a few, although I've surely mentioned a lot in other threads previously. I'll start with:

Brookfield - Prisoners

From the 1982 CFNY talent search contest. Just about the prettiest song you'll ever hear. It sounds a bit like California 1968 even though it's Toronto 1982.

Some more, in chronological order:

Last Words - I Symbolize You
    Jackie Edwards - Come Back Girl
    Willapuss Wallapuss - To Jone
    Staccatos - Didn't Know the Time
    Stonepillow - Eleazar's Circus
    Pepper Tree - Mr. Pride
    Freedom (North) - Doctor Tom
    Mingles - I'm Gonna Miss You
    Tony Kingston - Faith Hope and Charity
    Rose - Whirling Dervish
    Robin Lane & Chartbusters - Solid Rock
    Faith Brothers - Dancing With Peter Pan's Shadow
    Glory Chain - Love Like Rain

21. fozl1986

fozl1986 Forum Resident

"Prophetic" Iris

22. A. Scrounger

A. Scrounger Forum Resident

"You Always Say" - Carter Wood - from her album "Unspoken."

23. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I have so many like this it's not even funny, but a fast filter of it's not on CD makes this pops to my mind.

It did get a bit of radio play, but my guess is few have heard it here.

Cooker, Try Try;

24. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Stolen Fish - "When You Get Back" - the band consists of singer/songwriter Karen Martin, guitarist Michael Landau (yes, that Michael Landau), bassist Chris Roy and drummer Makoto Izumitani ... this is pure pop for guitar lovers

Stephen Bruton - "Single Star" - if the guitarist/songwriter ever would have had a hit single, this could have been it; the song is really catchy

These are just two of so many.

25. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

"Magnificent Oblivion" by Fleeting Joys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.