The Yes Album in 5.1 is due early 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DonnyMe, Jan 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

:agree: Close To The Edge remix was a also a flat transfer.

qtrules likes this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I was under the impression this was the next title in the series.

IMO none of Yes' 70's work needs the remix treatment more than this one. Would love for a clearer, less-murky version to enjoy.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I would love it too but there are currently no plans to remix it.

4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Bummer. I hope this changes...I'm looking forward to The Yes Album, but I think it's one of their better early mixes, probably due to the relative simplicity of the keyboard sounds, so I'm not sure how much of a revelation the new stereo mix would be. 5.1 will hopefully be great though.

5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Oddly, nobody's really mentioned it! :confused:

6. bangdrum6

bangdrum6 Forum Resident

well eventually I want it. I want them all.
    I don't know who you are sir or how you know this, but that's fine with me for now.
    of coarse Fragile is essential ( I am a Bruford fanatic). but the dvda from 2002 will hold me over.
    I want to hear the great vocal treatments Steve Wilson will do with Tales, to me its a very colorful album even if only from a lyric point of view and I love the beautiful and open soundscape.

on another note Im sad and mad I thought the bluray from burning shed would be in my mailbox today :(

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

It's the primary (maybe only) reason I'm buying it. I'd love to hear some comments on the surround mix!

tedhead and jsayers like this.
  8. 007james

007james Forum Resident

I would actually love to hear Drama remixed for 5.1, not holding my breath for that one though.......

tedhead and One Louder like this.
  9. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

If these are selling to Panegyric's expectations, I see no reason why they shouldn't continue doing them even after Wilson stops. Assuming the multitracks are available, of course.

I would think Jakszyk might be interested.

One Louder and qtrules like this.
  10. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

Listening to the Steven Wilson 2014 mix of "The Yes Album". As usual, very tasteful and true to the original mixes. I'd say that my overall impression is that the new mix is "enhanced", in that it brings forth the details in the parts more (more presence on Howe's acoustic on "The Clap", for example, or similarly on Bruford's toms.

Everything just sounds really clean! I wouldn't say that the mix (both the stereo and 5.1) are true revelations, but more of a nice "freshening" up of the soundscape.

Favorite mixes are "Starship Trooper" and "I've Seen All Good People". Everything sits nicely in the mix and the parts really cut through in all the right ways.

anduandi, jsayers, pdenny and 2 others like this.
  11. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

now i really want to hear it!!

and it also gets me psyched up for a "tales" 2.0 remix. so much potential in that one.

12. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Your lips to SW's ears! :righton:

bangdrum6 and qtrules like this.
  13. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

haha. do i sound like a broken record because of much i talk about a "tales" remix? it keeps me awake at night....

Pupalei and Zephead2112 like this.
  14. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I really have to agree. I've just started listening and listening to "Yours Is No Disgrace" and the remix is very clean with the details of Steve Howe's guitar and Chris Squire's bass being very clear and distinct, which allows me to enjoy the music that much more. "The Clap" now playing and Steve Howe's acoustic guitar playing is amazing.

I think I'll just sit back and enjoy the rest of this album peacefully! Another SW excellent job.

Edit: Wide soundstage very noticeable with "Starship Trooper". Love it.

Musician95616, JETman and qtrules like this.
  15. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

Still waiting for my copy to arrive. Maybe tomorrow??

16. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

I've just listened to the CD in the car so far, cranked up on the way home from a Temperance Movement gig (will delve into the rest of the BD tonight).

IMO, it is, by a MILE, the best presentation of 'The Yes Album' I have heard in all these years. Assisted of course by the original soundscape which was great from the start.

Absolutely wonderful!!!!!

P.S. Can't resist being greedy; Relayer or Tales..........please!

qtrules likes this.
  17. Zephead2112

P.S. DTS mix, WOW! Steve Howe's acoustic guitars in the rear channels during 'Yours Is No Disgrace'; beautiful!

One Louder likes this.
  18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

It sounds like Steven Wilson knocked this one out of the park, as expected. Is there any reason to get the MFSL gold CD now?

19. Zephead2112

I can see none at all, except for the completists. :D

20. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

In case anyone is interested in these details, it is worth noting that even if the product description on Burning Shed gave the impression that some additional BluRay material would be available in DTS-HD only (not in PCM) in fact everything is in PCM.
    Very good as it is much easier to make FLAC files from PCM :)

21. Zephead2112

Apologies for asking this here but I just picked up on utenteanonimo64's post above.

Despite searching, I am unable to find a thread that covers the best methods of transferring HD tracks/HD BluRay material to other media such as CD (cables used/outputs/inputs, etc). I also ask this question in lieu of the Led Zeppelin HD download cards that will be available in June and my recent pledge for a PONO player.

Would a kind forum member be able to point me to a thread that explains these and similar topics? Apologies again as I am just learning about all of this stuff......many thanks in advance to anybody that may be able to assist.

22. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks. I'm not surprised. :)

23. brunofaetten

brunofaetten Forum Resident

I don't like the sound of this, but thanks for the correction. I was sure the announcement of GFTO was officially confirmed, but Henry Potts has updated his site to say basically the same thing, so I guess it never was. On the plus side, he also quotes reports claiming work has begun on Tales, so if Fragile is due this autumn, we could get TFTO early next year. And like my main man Meng says, they may yet decide to add GFTO and others if sales exeed expectations. I wouldn't mind re-buying the whole catalogue at this pace, and if the quality we've seen so far is maintained. After TFTO and Relayer, though, GFTO is definitely my third most anticipated reissue package, so I hope they reconsider their plans regarding that.

edit: TYA Blu-Ray arrived in the mail, literally as I was typing the above - now listening!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    qtrules, Meng and One Louder like this.
  24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

GFTO isn't necessarily my favorite Yes release from the 70's, but it might be the one the most in need of remixing, so I hope they reconsider.

zen and One Louder like this.
  25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Steven Wilson has been contracted to do the 1970-1974 albums only, for the moment.

He hasn't touched Fragile yet. Tales might be next.

bangdrum6 and qtrules like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.