Don Rickles To Get Tribute/Roast Treatment

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tonyc, Apr 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Only two comedians who always made me laugh. Never, ever did they fail. George Carlin and Don Rickles. As a young teen growing up in Philly, my bedtime would be extended if Don was on Johnny Carson. Just a call downstairs "Dad, Don Rickles is on the Tonight Show".
    I was fortunate enough to see him in LV in the mid 70s. The best of our time.

MMM likes this.
  2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Definitely. One of my favorite stories is when Don told Dave about the time Frank Jr. was kidnapped and returned. Frank said to Don: "Well, we got the kid back". Don to Frank: "That's great news". Frank to Don: "Do you know why the let him go? They heard him humming in the trunk".

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  3. stumpy

stumpy Forum Resident

The Seinfeld bit was some good assurance that Don is still sharp as ever (at least with a little tight editing;) Any other comedians you can think of that lived that long (87) and were still as fast and sharp? Carlin would surely have made it to a hundred with a sharp mind. Others?

4. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

All Rickles has to do is roll his eyes and I'm rolling on the floor laughing. Yes, I typed it.

jeffrey walsh likes this.
  5. tonyc

Don was sharp as usual on Jimmy Kimmel. But, sad to see him need a cane and looking sideways the whole time. He said he had a leg infection that required eight surgeries and months in the hospital.

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The old man saw him live a few times in the 80's. He said some people came to the show dressed deliberately loud and paid to sit up front so they could be the brunt of the jokes.

7. tonyc

The first time I saw Don in Sparks I dressed well for it and the host tried to reward me with a front row seat. I made the split second decision to pass on the offer and sit a little farther away. But, no reason why I should have done that as being insulted by Don should be taken as a badge of honor.

8. Hagstrom

Hagstrom Please stop calling them vinyls.

My best friend and I sat in the front and Don called him up and broke his chops without mercy onstage. It was awesome - one of the best nights of my life.

9. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

A true comic genius- one of my favorites. He was also great in the Frankie and Annette movies.

10. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

1 of my favs, Dean Martin show, Dean Martin Roasts had me on the floor. What he said to Sinatra still blows me away...you can tell he was loved by the heavies in the business>

sean

tonyc likes this.
  11. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

He was good in "Get Smart" as well back in the 60s...

sean

krock2009 likes this.
  12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Legend has it that all Don Adams had to do was look at Rickles, and Rickles would be on the floor.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Don's Book is great!

14. Michael

he got a way with murder! wonder how much truth was behind his remarks?

15. Michael

a few days ago I saw him on Kimmel...yes, the eye gestures are killer!

16. Michael

yes, I have the complete "Phone Booth" DVD set...

17. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

great guy ! should have been honored 20 years ago when most of the people who were with him were still alive! great to see him in that snickers commercial from a few years ago!

18. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I met Don at a book signing and I said to him: "Hey Don, it's great meeting you but I was wondering if you were gonna drop your pants and fire a rocket!" He smiled and said "Not today!"

fitzysbuna and frankfan1 like this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

They should make this the LAST roast in his honor. The end of an era. And who more fitting to see an end to the roast tradition than Rickles.

20. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

Just came across this ... outtakes from a Rickles TV series including Richard Lewis. I never watched the show when it aired. The outtakes are likely better than the show itself!!

swedwards1960 and Mark Nelson like this.
  21. tonyc

On Spike TV now. Replays on other channels for the next week.

MMM likes this.
  22. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

I'm watching the replay now. Didn't know he was using a cane. I heard the stories about Rickles and others about seeing fans in the first few rows. When in doubt, I stay back. I don't need to be the focal point of a monologue, even if it is in good taste. I saw a clip earlier with Carson and I'm really surprised CPO Sharkey isn't out on home video in some form or another. Shows worse than this have made it.......

xdawg likes this.
  23. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

I just saw the quote indicator pop up. Wow! Where did you find the video?

24. tonyc

I thought the Roast was well done. They could have done a little better job on clips but the guests were mostly good. You could tell how happy Don was that David Letterman closed the show. It was nice to see Letterman have to win an audience unlike the trained seals like me who have attended his TV tapings. It makes you remember how funny he could still be. I hope he considers a standup special after he retires.

Replay on Spike TV at midnight and other channels this weekend.

25. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Mr Warmth also was in one of the greatest war movies ever "Run Silent, Run Deep". Got it on the DVR and time to watch Gable and Lancaster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.