The Beatles Let It Be (Song) - LP Mix vs 45 Mix : Which one do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Doctor Jimmy, Apr 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

45 mix even though I no longer have it.

2. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Me too. Rare indeed that I prefer a Phil Spector mix over a George Martin one.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The funny thing is that George wanted both guitar solos on the final version of the "Let It Be" song. But Martin and Glyn Johns used one (the earlier one from 1969), while Spector used the other, later solo (from January 1970) (or at least Phil mixed the later solo very loud, so that you can't really hear the earlier one).

Youtube has a version with both solos synched up:

Arnie

The Ole' Rocker, rxcory, 1970 and 2 others like this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Wow, that's psychedelic! How'd the drums get so off-kilter?

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  5. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Dislike the hihat echo.

Grant, Lonesurf and DrBeatle like this.
  6. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

Thanks Arnie! That sounds quite weird... So there are no chances to have that version alone?

7. Arnold Grove

That version with BOTH guitar solos was never officially released. Arnie

innercircle likes this.
  8. innercircle

No, I was talking about the one you said before, the one used on the film?

9. Arnold Grove

I think that part of the version of "Let It Be" from the film soundtrack is on the song from the Let It Be Naked album. I believe that the guitar solo from the film was "flown in" for that take (maybe some other parts were flown in too). BUT otherwise you cannot get the full film version. Arnie

10. Arnold Grove

This is pretty cool --- All 4 guitar solos that George Harrison did, including the 45 Martin version; the Spector album version; an early take from Anthology 3; and the one from Let It Be Naked (which is from the film):

Arnie

11. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

The album version has the only solo that actually feels planned, with a definite beginning, peak, and ending. The others just sound like George is feeling his way through to me.

12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I was just coming in to mention this. And George was right; the two solos synced up work together, like it was planned.

innercircle likes this.
  13. innercircle

Wow! This is really new to me, I was thinking that it was just an old memory.

I went to listen the version on Naked but for somehow is not entirely the one I remember to have listened back on late seventies, and I am talking about that part you said, this is the weirdest thing I never thought have heard about it.

14. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Lewishon makes no mention of a new bass part in 1970. But he also didn't mention Linda's backing ahhhs with Paul and George, which were flown onto Edit Be Naked to my chagrin.

15. Arnold Grove

I believe Lewisohn missed this in his first "Recording Sessions" book. BUT he updated that info about the new bass part, along with some other stuff (like George's new vocal on "For You Blue", also re-done in January 1970) in the later "Complete Beatles Chronicle" book. Arnie

16. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I had the 45 as a hand-me-down as a little kid and nothing else has ever sounded right to me. I think the guitar solo on the album version is more "soloistic", while the solo on the 45 is more melodic and fits the overall character of the song better.

17. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

Less is more, single 45.

Grant likes this.
  18. Mike Visco

One of those leads was recorded in April 69. Was that mentioned above?

19. Arnold Grove

The 45 single version has the guitar solo from April 1969. Arnie

Mike Visco likes this.
  20. Mike Visco

He mentions Linda in Chronicles. Still not seeing the bass part, just Paul on maracas.

21. Arnold Grove

Sorry if I gave the wrong source here. Maybe it's not mentioned there, or maybe it was mentioned by Lewisohn somewhere else. Or maybe it's from another book like the Get Back book by Sulpy and Schweighardt (maybe RayS can chime in here). But Paul overdubbed a new bass part because the original Glyn Johns mix features the exact same take as the 45 version, but with a completely different bassline (which was the original one played live by John Lennon). I don't have my books handy, but I will check later.

Arnie

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
    Mike Visco likes this.
  22. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

The version on the album- I like the guitar solo on that, but it's not like the single version troubles me though. :)

23. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I agree, but the single version was also the version I heard first, which sealed it as the definitive one in my mind.

DrBeatle likes this.
  24. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

If only they had a quality version that inserts the LP guitar solo into the 45 mix.... Without that, I have to go with the LP version.

25. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

The Anthology DVD has a full alternate take of LIB. It's really good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.