Vintage headphone recommendations?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by therebelsell, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Cans and speakers have progressed amazingly
    HD 800s are better than nearly any LS.

2. therebelsell

therebelsell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Didn't know that. I guess I assumed headphones would be like speakers, meaning vintage ones would be a better investment. For example, I use Burhoe Blue speakers that I think are excellent. But based on the responses here, I don't think I'm going to find an equivalent pair of vintage headphones. I'll look into some of the modern ones people have recommended.

3. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

HD 414 started the open back revolution in the late 60s, they still sound good today
    Sony nicked open backs for the first Walkmans, thats why they sounded good.
    Open backs are more difficult to drive
    Texas Instruments makes a chip that gives 30v output, these are the best cans amps

kevinsinnott and Miha Podlogar like this.
  4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

What price range are you considering? And what styles of music?
    Would they be strictly for home use with the receiver? Or would you want something that can also be plugged in the computer or a portable?

5. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I like my AKG K-340 electrostatic headphones. They are over 25 years old now, they sound great but they are a little hard to drive.

kevinsinnott and rodentdog like this.
  6. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

My Koss HV/1A's rock....kind of hard to drive though.....

7. therebelsell

I don't have a price range in mind, but I'd like to invest in a quality pair. They'd be just for home use.
    Styles of music? Nothing specific but leaning towards classic rock. What's the best pair of headphones for listening to The Band? ;)

8. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Do you have a maximum price? At the high end are Audeze and the controversial-yet-still-popular Sennheiser HD800s. Are you willing to north of $1000?

9. therebelsell

OK, that would definitely be too much for me. I'd say $300 tops, unless there's a strong argument for spending more.

10. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

You would do very well with Grado SR225i or SR 325i phones. They are easily driven by your vintage gear and are gorgeous in sound quality. They are both within your budget of $300.

Ron

gloomrider likes this.
  11. gloomrider

Strongly agree with the caveat that some think those cans are uncomfortable for long periods of wear.

12. therebelsell

Thanks for the recommendation.

13. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

There might be an optional set of cushions for that but off the top of my head (get it) I don't remember. Maybe the "L" Cushion.
    These phones are very light too.

14. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I had Sennheiser's in 1980, that's pretty much vintage these days. Both the 414 and larger 424 are really nice phones. My 424s will get used again one day when I exhume my UK storage boxes.

15. gloomrider

Neat!

[​IMG]

somnar and Sneaky Pete like this.
  16. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I had these back in the day. I liked them a lot then but I'm sure today's offerings are much better.

17. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

My Audio Technica ATM50's are more detailed and easier to drive so I end up using them, however, the open back Koss are the best for poker playing and ambient music. The AT's can be driven with anything as well.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I agree. I have a pair of restored KLH Model 5's from 1968 that I use as my main speakers and I love those things. But when I think back 40 years ago to my old green Koss Pro's compared to the AKG 701 cans that I've been using there's no comparison when it comes to comfort and sound quality.

19. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

I never knew they were hard to drive. When I bought them, I was using a Dyna PAS3X/Stereo 70 combo. As it had no HP output, I used an external headphone amp. No problem there.

After that system, I jumped to McIntosh separates which always had robust gain capabilities in their internal headphone amps.

Since the 80's, I've been using Sony MDR series headphones. I'm sure there are better, but I use them at professionally so I'm just used to them.

20. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I did go the vintage route ofr budgetary reasons and why I really like the look of the old hifi stuff. I rarely use headphones, but to complete my vintage setup I bought a pair of AKG sextette (the guys over at Audiokarma love them) and I am quite satisfied with those. Before buying the AKG I had some cheap Sennheiser entry level headphones which were ugly as hell but sounded good. I would say in the bass department even the cheap the Sennheiser beat the AKG but the mids and the high frequencies are nicely produced by the AKG. Besides that there is a foto of Lennon wearing a pair of sextettes in the studio... Yeah, I admit it. I'm too visual for an audiophile forum ;)

kevinsinnott and 1970 like this.
  21. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

How 'bout the vinatge Nakamichi Sp-7? I own a pair and I like them better than my Sennheiser HD-414's, but not a s good as my 580's.

Attached Files:

22. sbayle

sbayle Forum Resident

I love my Sennheiser HD-414s. Replaced the ear pads and the cable they are so lightweight you forget you are wearing them. Can't really compare with my AKG-K1000s for sound quality, but the AKGs went for close to 10x the price of the Senns. You could call the K-1000s vintage as they haven't been made for several years. But you're not going to find a pair for $300!

23. Koss still makes the Pro4AA. I just got mine back from them for warranty work.

24. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Did they actually repair and return your original set or replace them? I just came across my old set and they need some work, but was surprised to see they are selling today for under $100. It makes me wonder about quality and materials.

25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I own and use this particular Stax model. I strongly recommend these as well.

JMAC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.