Tonight's episode of THE GOOD WIFE on CBS. BEST hour of commercial TV this year!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

He's a lot annoying for me. I have sympathy for his disability but I don't want to see it all the time, and I can't stand seeing him using it to get his way.

To me that's not much different than making fun of him for being disabled.

2. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Never thought of her being American, just Kalinda.

progrocker71 likes this.
  3. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Accents generally don't bother me, especially since there really is no such thing as "an American accent", instead it's a whole bunch of regional and cultural accents gathered together under one roof.

4. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I didn't want to say it, but you're right, that's exactly it.

5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'm not fond of his character either, but have to say that I admire him for continuing to pursue his craft - and this show may be the best way for him to deal with his limitations. That said, I find a little of him goes a long way, so my hopes are that he's "around" but not central to every story. His credit this past week had him listed as a "special Guest Star", so that's either a sign that he'll be on and off - or it just could be part of his contract deal.

Harry

Lonson likes this.
  6. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

I think he is like a lot of the other characters - David Lee, Elspeth etc. - a little goes a long way. I think of these characters as spice - the writers add a little to the mix, but are wise enough to know how much is too much. The characters will never be promoted to leads.

7. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

The Fox character is just always way too much of a phony. Can't be honest about anything. He says: "I may be a scumbag, but I'm your scumbag" in what is supposed to be a burst of honesty. I believe this insofar as cases and casework, but what about intra office politics? He won't be engaged in major manipulations to an unusual degree that they should be concerned about? Yeah sure. And he presents himself as a family man with all those sorts of values, yet he treats people in general like s..t. Such a blatant phony in every way. Based on everything about him I grimace when he appears. I would love to see Diane finally come alive and do something smart to out-manipulate him and oust him very soon.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  8. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Can you elaborate on this, since apparently it offends you more than it does Fox himself?

I actually find this statement somewhat more offensive than anything the show is doing. Go figure.

If you took out a few phrases I would consider this a positive analysis of why he's good for the show.

JL6161 likes this.
  9. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I just don't like anything that calls undue attention to these types of things. If he didn't play on it I'd have no problems with it. I'm all for equal rights for people who are disabled, but I think he takes it too far (in the show) and takes advantage of it, giving him an unfair advantage.

As an example, I'm all for women having equal rights. That said, back in my studio days we had a women engineer trying to break in. I had no problem with that until she got all the guys to do her busy work just because she was cute and they hoped to win favor with her. She most definitely played that to the max. I though that was taking advantage of the situation, much like Fox's character seems to do.

I realize that when somebody (or a group of people) has a disadvantage it's a bad thing. But to elevate them over the rest of us as a result is not fair either. That's a form of reverse discrimination. I don't have a reasonable solution to this issue, other than to say I don't like how Fox's character seems to relish in doing this.

As for not wanting to see it all the time, it's not the disability that bothers me but his constantly using it to get what he wants. I guess we all use what we have to get what we want, so I guess my feelings are a bit unfair. In real life I surely have sympathy for anybody with any type of disability, but it's not all that attractive to see on a TV show like this. It's totally unfair, but most of the people on TV are chosen because they're good looking. That's what sells, and why many of us watch certain shows. I guess I'm saying that with Fox's disability I don't find him attractive. Is this politically correct? No.

Once again it's a TV show and not real life. In real life none of this would matter one bit to me.

Oh, one more thing. His character admits that he's a scumbag. That's the main reason I don't like him on the show. I'd probably not like anybody playing a scumbag regardless of whether or not they were playing on their disability.

10. colinu

Dianne's eyerolling said it all.

The character exploits his medical issue whenever it suits him.

P.S. I am left-handed and proud to be sinister.

Atmospheric likes this.
  11. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

It's called being an antagonist, and it's all over TV. I can barely think of a dramatic TV show from the last decade that didn't have at least one scumbag. In some recent shows, the scumbag is the protagonist.

Frankly, I'm confused why the reaction to a "scumbag" who's more than likely to rock the boat is so negative. Rocking the boat makes for good TV. I suppose you'd rather the show whimper out with some season finale where everyone holds hands and establishes world peace?

So you're cynical, somewhat dated outlook on TV is why Michael J. Fox should never work in the medium again? I hope The Good Wife can recover from losing you as an audience member.

This is what's known as a "hook". It's where you establish a character with unique traits so that you (as a creator/writer) can write the character without losing sight of who that character is. I'm still sort of baffled as to why people are taking issue with this. I'm not saying Fox's character needs to be "liked" or that he even deserves a long run on the show. But this latest episode was really good and he was part of the reason why. The fact that he exploits his own disability is somewhat brilliant in the same way that South Park handles disability, by not treating it like something that should be quarantined or even doted over.

Atmospheric likes this.
  12. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Did I say I wasn't going to watch the show? I'm not quite sure where you got that from. It's one of my favorite shows, despite Fox's character.

13. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

But you are aware that Fox's character exists on TV (not in your workplace) and his behavior is intended to get a rise out of you, correct?

I think if the show's creators read your completely subjective opinion about how their character has no right to be on TV (a medium designated for only the good-looking), they'd prefer you didn't.

14. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Of course and when I report on that rise you tell me I probably shouldn't watch the show.

15. shokhead

I don't like Fox's character but as a person, he is a cool guy and does lots of good. As for the disability stuff, he's an actor and goes with the writers. Did they ask him if it would bother him to use it as he does? I'm sure.

16. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Had you said something to the effect of disliking Fox's character, but reacting to his presence on the show the same way most audiences react to any "villain" on any show, I would take no issue with your sentiment whatsoever. It's this bizarre, stodgy belief that somehow they're offending Fox or that he has no right to be on TV that I'm taking issue with. I just find it completely strange, like we've gone back forty years into the past. I love the use of his character and I love the way he plays the role. I'm not saying you have to feel the same way, but in my opinion it sounds narrow-minded to discredit his mere presence on the show because he has a disability or because his character uses that disability to manipulate others.

Just to clarify anything I'm said up to this point. I'm not advocating that anyone "like" his character. I don't "like" Agent Smith in the first Matrix film, but I LOVE that his character is part of the film.

What I'm trying to understand is why having an "unlikable" character in the Good Wife is somehow hindering the experience of watching it for some people. Fox's character is not necessarily there to be liked--that's why he's potentially good for the show. He's an obstacle for the characters you do like.

17. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

He's a positive if they handle it right. Right now he's a scumbag all powerful manipulator who always gets his way. They could work it with him as a device for a Diane victory. Make him into someone everyone dislikes. And Diane lately has been getting pushed around all over the place and looks weak. So have her come out of her slump by devising an ingenious plan to genuinely defeat him. I hope they do this fast. The "getting a rise out of me" aspect can only last so long. Prolonged seeing what I view as bad guys constantly outwitting the good guys is a major turn off for me that causes me to tune out eventually.

18. colinu

I am not taking issue with this.

Sincerely, I can separate the character from the actor. Many actors like the challenge of playing a less-than-likable character - actually any multi-faceted part. The show has so many good and bad and in-between characters - it is a buffet of creativity and talent.

19. shokhead

I haven't read that anyone will stop watching. He's been on enough for me to know I'd like the show with him off. On or off I'll still watch.

20. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

David Lee is the supreme scumbag on the show, Fox isn't in any danger of stealing that crown from him.

RoyalScam likes this.
  21. shokhead

So far I agree.

22. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

Your'e taking it far too seriously.
    Fox's character is a blatantly contrived soap sub plot, a caricature of the evil baddy. After all, his name is Loose Cannon:D
    It's like he's stepped out of that old Batman tv series.

23. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

So Colin Sweeney's wife admits to Alicia she did it, after she is legally safe. After Colin did the same thing to Alicia a couple years ago. Man, I'd love to see Alicia do something about this, this time. She's limited as to legal options, so it would have to be some creative alternative. I realize that's not what this show is about -- Alicia is a stickler for the law and it would be against her character. But this could be a time where her husband as Governor, could be of use, with the wide plethora of all sorts of powers and influence at his disposal.

24. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i'd rather they not reprise Colin Sweeney's character at all. it's so silly that it's actually boring.

25. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.