Help - Problem Playing GREAT EXPECTATIONS Criterion edition

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Just started watching this, and am flummoxed by how to turn off sub-titles for the hearing impaired which seem to be playing by default.

There seems to be nothing in the bare bones menu pertaining to this feature.

2. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Try your players remote if it has subtitle button/options.

John B Good likes this.
  3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Ocassionally, I've had DVDs with persistent subtitles - somtimes there's an option in the player settings to turn "on screen display" [or similar] off which solves the problem (not all players have this option).

:)

John B Good likes this.
  4. John B Good

Thanks. I'm afraid the remote is a 'universal' replacement for the original that failed, and seems to be lacking some of the options on the original.

I've since discovered an Amazon reviewer who said this about that title :

"If the stars were all for the movie, the rating would be five stars. But the Criterion edition, which is apparently the only one out there, has subtitles WHICH CANNOT BE TURNED OFF. It not only gives dialogue as captions but also describes sound effects (such as bird cries) in captions. That is true of the copy I purchased, and it seems to be a flaw in the design of the DVD. At least, when I asked Amazon about this, that's what their response implied."

Criterion provides contact info, and I am going to see if an email to the company sheds any light. Maybe they had to produce a replacement edition?

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I have the Criterion DVD and I've never experienced this problem.

6. John B Good

Thanks for looking. I'll see if Criterion gets back to me.

7. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I have found that some discs are difficult to tell if you're choosing subtitles or no subtitles. I can't tell by the way they're highlighted which option I'm choosing. Try choosing what you think looks like you're turning the subtitles on instead of off.

John B Good likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Bad authoring. I hate when this happens. There are also disks that start playing with a foreign track or the visually-impaired descriptive audio track, also due to bad authoring. You can turn it off in the menus, but the reality is that they screwed up and made the wrong thing the default. Inferior people should not be employed.

9. John B Good

In the case of Criterion, which seems to have almost a cult following, I imagine an error like this would be corrected.

I've sent them an email, and will see what happens.

10. John B Good

To Criterion's credit, I received a prompt response saying they are not aware of any problems with the disk.

As soon as I get a chance, I will try it on another machine, and see if the problem occurs there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.