David Letterman to retire in 2015. Stephen Colbert to take over.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Poor Napoleon, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

How did you come up with 40% ?

2. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

4. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Claude and Hawkeye like this.
  5. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Interesting. Thanks for linking that.

6. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I will chime in to say the Colbert hire is a gamble but it is obvious the Colbert on CBS will be different than the Colbert on Comedy Central. And he is probably a lot smarter at figuring that out than many of you here are giving him credit for.

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Anybody catch the performance of MacArthur Park tonight? Will Lee sang and played bass (and sang the last bit from atop a giant cake prop), Jimmy Webb played keyboards, and there was full orchestra along with Paul and the band.

Odd, interesting, and....why?

8. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Maybe they had a last-minute cancellation.

9. MLutthans

(IMO) Too big a production to be a last-minute thing.

10. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Ha! I would have liked to have seen that.

11. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I saw the preview on CBS las night and it looked really odd with Will way up on top of the cake. Sort of intriguing, more more odd looking. I didn't watch the show.

12. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Jimmy Webb gas been out and about this past year with the tune, perhaps as a somewhat resurrection of himself. He played a free gig last year here in the MacArthur Park band-shell. It also gives Paul something to do, as if we need this. :evil: Watched the show just to see this segment.

13. MLutthans

Here's the vid:

Side note: I know Dave often makes jokes about how cold it is in the Ed Sullivan Theatre, but is that a little space heater in the lower right in this shot, below?
    Screen shot 2014-07-22 at 2.39.42 PM.png

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  14. Maybe because his time is almost up and Dave is in a mood to do whatever strikes his fancy? I don't know but this reminds me of the good old days when he did crazy things like that all the time.

15. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Dave explains in the first desk piece that he recently introduced the song to his son during a recent car drive. Dave had satellite radio on and they happen to play 3 different versions of the song. The song intrigued Dave's son Harry but after the third rendition (which totaled about 20 minutes of music!) Harry had enough saying "Please, no more cake!" Dave had a good time showing his son the tune that he asked the band to perform it. As he introduced the segment he dedicated the performance to his son: "This is for my son Harry"

This performance can be filed under the other themed performances Dave has had in the past like Elvis Impersonator week, or magician week or celebrity impersonator week. When he wants something--he'll usually get it!

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I knew there'd eventually be someone that was paying attention ! Kudos to you Sir ! :tiphat:

MRamble likes this.
  17. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Yup...here Felicia jokes about it during the end of this rig rundown @ 26:34

billdcat likes this.
  18. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

haha yup. They announced on FB that they were going to be performing it and I was genuinely curious about it---Paul and the band are never the musical guests. I knew I had to tune in to get the whole story.

19. Knowing that the days of being an active TV performer are nearly done for him seems to have made Dave harken back to his more adventurous youth of 35 years ago...it's fun to see...:thumbsup:

20. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Does anyone have the feeling that Dave is leaving us much, much earlier than the penciled in 2015 time frame? On FB, a new tradition has started since his retirement announcement of celebrities sending Dave goodbye related messages. It makes me feel like everyone sort of is aware that he's leaving a little earlier than he promised. On last night's show, Jeff Daniels sneaked in a quiet "I'm going to miss you" before his interview was over. Makes me wonder if Dave is planning a quicker exit to avoid all the fuss. I'm sure CBS wants a huge farewell week for him but I doubt Dave could sit through all that.

21. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Dave also plugged Will Lee's new CD and showed it before introducing the song so that's probably the main reason.

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Well, also some may not ever see him again literally, and since the announcement, want to express themselves now, when they have the chance.
    Hell, in my little corner of the world, coworkers gave me the same, 7 months before I actually retired, because the word had spread I was putting my papers in.

MRamble likes this.
  23. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

The main reason? I think dedicating the song to his son suffices as the "main" reason :) Paul and Dave plugging Will's CD was a courtesy since Will was singing lead on the song. They also promoted Jimmy Webb's CD too. Both releases are about a year old. Pretty sure they wouldn't go this far to promote a band member's solo album especially when the song he's performing isn't even on the album!

24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Oh I didn't realize it was that old! Never mind!

MRamble likes this.
  25. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

They should have got Dave Thomas from SCTV to sing the song.:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.