Imelda May has got swing! *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by James Glennon, Sep 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

I play 'Love Tattoo' in the Jazz area of our store, and it gets very favorable customer responses. And sales. Of course they have to venture into the Rock section and that can freak them out.

Excellent new artist now getting more recognition.

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

There is a great sounding tape of Her and the band with Jeff from last year.

It converted me instantly. She is excellent on it and she really inspired Jeff.

3. Peter K

Peter K Forum Resident

She is brilliant and a really down to earth dub !!!! Go Imelda go, you deserve all the success coming your way. Well done James for bring her to everybodys attention here.

4. Christobal

Christobal Forum Resident

Got my tickets to see her show in DC next month. I can't remember wanting to see a performer live in a small club this bad. MAN she rocks!

5. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

Her Record label really screwed up not letting her tour with Brian setzer back in december :agree:

6. DaveN

DaveN Music Glutton

I disagree. That would have been too similar a bill. She probably would have suffered by comparison, fairly or not. Better to headline smaller gigs or to open for a band that is not so similar in style and aesthetics.

7. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Beats Imelda Marcos. :D

[​IMG]

8. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

If she plays smaller gigs she is not going to build any following , if she's as good live as everyone cliams & she got out in front of 3 - 5,000 people a night if she impressed 500 a night & won them over she could start building a following in the U.S. , she needs to be seen & be put out in front of a crowd that will dig what she does ... 3 or 4 weeks with setzer would have only helped .

9. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Agree. She wrote most of the songs too.

One of my 'best new release' experiences.

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Just heard Imelda May for the first time when I caught a rerun of the 2008 Jools Holland episode she was on. I DVR'd it for Katy Perry and David Gilmour, but really loved the two songs Imelda performed. So I was gonna grab a CD or two, but with modern artists, I always worry about the loudness war stuff. The only CD of hers listed at the DR Database site is "Mayhem" and its ugly (DR: 6, some tracks as low as 4) which seems ludicrous, especially for this type of music. What a shame.

Is "Love Tattoo" any better?

11. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

12. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

about the same, unfortunately.

14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If you get a chance to see her live, definitely go. I saw her twice and she, along with her band, are just amazing live. It's not often that you hear someone name checking Chess Records and Howlin' Wolf on stage these days.

I passed on her records though. I saw her live before I ever heard her on record and I can't switch from that live performance to studio that well. It's definitely me though and not the band :)

15. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Mayhem is on vinyl too. Frankly the music is too good to pass up regardless, both albums are highly recommended. There's a special edition of "Love Tattoo" out there with a bonus live CD including a nice version of My Babe.

16. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Retro-lounge and retro-swing-rockabilly weekend? Nice :)

17. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Why have I never heard of this chick before now??!!

Purple Jim and eddiel like this.
  18. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

If no one else has linked it here's Jeff Beck and Imelda May playing together:

(Link to the same video Scopitone linked 7 minutes earlier)

19. Scopitone

:D

Great minds, and all that. . .:righton:

20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Been digging her for a few years now. I like her Lilly Munster hairdo too.:love:

Scopitone likes this.
  21. Scopitone

GuildX700 likes this.
  22. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

her entrance is fantastic, and the back and forth with vocal and guitar is just priceless!

GuildX700 and Scopitone like this.
  23. Scopitone

Agreed. My only complaint is that I would like to have heard some of the band members whisper "remember" instead of her.

But that's a tiny tiny nit to pick on an absolutely classic performance.

GuildX700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.